Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Roads or Big Car Park - for learner driver

Options
  • 22-05-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a place in around Galway City that I could bring a friend to teach them how to drive. It will be their very first time behind the wheel so I am looking for a quiet place like an Industrial Estate, Big Car Park to teach them. They will be getting professional lessons in a few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I saw a lot of this going on in Park More Industrial estate. It's a good place for it on a Sunday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

sgthighway wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a place in around Galway City that I could bring a friend to teach them how to drive. It will be their very first time behind the wheel so I am looking for a quiet place like an Industrial Estate, Big Car Park to teach them. They will be getting professional lessons in a few weeks.
    The back road into Galway Racecourse ( where the builders merchants is) is a a good one during non-race season.
    Also the first car park on your right as you turn into Merlin Park hospital is a good spot. There's usually never any cars parked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Mervue Industrial Estate on Sunday mornings is good. Lots of big wide roads and there arn't as many speedbumps as Parkmore.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The speedbumps in Mervue are miles worse!

We used the B2 carpark in Medtronic when my husband was learning. It has a roundabout. The security guards might run you after a while though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why not just drive on the road? let them experience the art of galway driving properly. They can't be any worse then the shennanigans we see those with a tiny bit more experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why not just drive on the road? let them experience the art of galway driving properly. They can't be any worse then the shennanigans we see those with a tiny bit more experience.

I'd guess a lack of insurance?

I learned in a church carpark. Was handy for learning clutch control and parallel parking as the place was deserted when there was no mass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

When I started to learn (not even a year ago) my Dad took me to the Black Box carpark in the evening, when it was almost empty. I'd recommend it, there's loads of space (enough for me and the other two beginners that were there :D) and the markings are great for practice once they have a feel for the controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

+1 on starting in a carpark before going near the road

I taught someone in Parkmore before.. Handy little spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As said before, evenings in Black box car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

IDA up in dangan is a top place,lots of different car parks in it,empty all during the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Planning on bringing my husband to Parkmore to practise but I'm going to have him take at least one lesson first - I think explaining the clutch and the feel of the bite point will be easier in a dual control car. (although that is partly because my car is very easy to drive and the bite point isn't particuarly obvious - but that makes for a crap learner car, really.)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Merlin park is nice & quiet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

For practising round-abouts, there's a fab. little mini-roundabout in where the Bard Buildings are. Never know the names of those Estates sorry! A rural-ish if convenient Lidl/Aldi is good to practice parking, but with those 2 stores, it's hard to know when would be a quiet time though lol! They are like Dunnes! Busy at odd hours, but if possible, they can be spacious for learning. Oh well actually when they are closed lol doh me! I used to go in at Night-time. Churches mmmm bit tight, good for clutch use though, but I failed for over-use of clutch, I love the clutch! But if ya want to pass your test ya need to practise weaning yourself off the clutch from the early days (ie: from family member teacher to Instructor transition, as it's a really difficult habit to get out of then! ) lots n' lots n' lots!! Make sure ya gear down in plenty time and when joining primary roads and turning corners etc., let go of that clutch! That was my main learning point of going through the learner-driver process anyway. :-)

Where else? I think most go to the factory Estates don't they .....

The estates around Renmore are nice enough for driving. Especially Lurgan Park. You often see the driving instructors around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The estates around Renmore are nice enough for driving. Especially Lurgan Park. You often see the driving instructors around here.

That's where I learned!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

For practising round-abouts, there's a fab. little mini-roundabout in where the Bard Buildings are. Never know the names of those Estates sorry!

I'm curious ... anyone else able to tell us where this is? (I've never heard in Irish RAB being called fab before.)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

+1 for mervue industrial estate. the place is usually dead after 6pm and plenty of turns and hills to practice....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dun na Coiribe has a little bit of space to play. Lots of speed bumps though. Parkmore is plenty wider. I don't envy Galway learners. With the amount of clowns on the road it most be one of the more difficult places in Ireland to learn to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

The back road in Menlo that goes past the old quarry is a good quiet one too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement