Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to mix RAM sizes?

Options
  • 22-05-2010 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys.

Generally I try to have the exact same RAM in every slot.

My pc has 6 slots, up to 2GB each.

Currently I have slot 1,3,5 with 1GB DDR3, and slot 2,4,6 empty

I was shopping around trying to find the same ram as before when I saw
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-memory-corsair-6gb-1333mhz-ddr3-cl9-5CYP.html?q=TR3X6G1333C9 on dabs

question 1 : is it ok to have 3 x 1GB sticks, and 3 x 2GB sticks at the same time?

question 2 : do you think that link is a good deal ? (6GB DDR3 for €174)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Q1:Yes that should be ok, assuming you have a triple-channel board and organise them in the correct slots (so that you have 1GB and 2GB for each channel).

Do a quick search for your motherboard and that ram to ensure nobody has any compatibility problems. Is your existing brand same brand and frequency?

Q2: I wouldn't be sure, RAM seems so dear lately.

Do you really need 9GB? You might be better off getting the 3x2GB and selling the 3GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Q2: What are you doing that 3GB isn't enough RAM? Depending on what you need it for, that money could be better spent on a HDD or processor upgrade.

Advertisement