Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinder safety

• 22-05-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just bought new grinder from Lidls, at 2000w is twice the power of my last one. I am very focused on safety and was reading the book when I found two conflicting pieces of advice. Ref Page 11 and 14. See attachments.
    Any thoughts on this please. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

Hi all,
    Just bought new grinder from Lidls, at 2000w is twice the power of my last one. I am very focused on safety and was reading the book when I found two conflicting pieces of advice. Ref Page 11 and 14. See attachments.

seems straight forward to me........anyway have you been trained to change/replace the discs on the grinder? only ask as you say your focused on safety and under the ABRASIVE WHEELS ACT one must have training to do do such.

best wishes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Wear goggles for a start, get a good grip on it and watch out for flammable stuff around your work area.
    Plug it out if your going to tinker with it

if your not confident using it, don't chance it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi all,

I think the first piece is poorly written. The correct procedure is to take the the running machine from the work before releasing the trigger - when not jammed. If the disc bogs down though, release the trigger immediately and don't try and wrench it from the work. That'd be the way I'd do it.

Experience with the smaller machine will give you a sense of situations where the grinder tends to want to run away from you. The same principles apply to the new one. Because of the upscaled power, there is more emphasis on your having a firm grip and that your stance is well braced and stable. Once you do that, you'll be able to manhandle the power in the case you get it wrong on a cut.

Prevention (proper use) is always better than cure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

be careful with those things. I have no feeling in my thumb after an incident with one as a young lad.

I set it down on the bench while still slowing. It rattled off the bench and my first instinct was to grab it.
    It removed the whole web from my hand to the first joint in my thumb. in a split second. bone and tendons where all on display.

47 stitches . I fainted like a big girl..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

gsxr1 wrote: »
    be careful with those things. I have no feeling in my thumb after an incident with one as a young lad.

I set it down on the bench while still slowing. It rattled off the bench and my first instinct was to grab it.
    It removed the whole web from my hand to the first joint in my thumb. in a split second. bone and tendons where all on display.

47 stitches . I fainted like a big girl..;)

i think there should be an exclusion zone around you . you are the unluckiest man ever.

about the blade. if you stop the rotating blade in the cut. it could grip and jolt in your hands if you not ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

seems straight forward to me........anyway have you been trained to change/replace the discs on the grinder? only ask as you say your focused on safety and under the ABRASIVE WHEELS ACT one must have training to do do such.

best wishes;)

yeah this is in a workplace. i am sure you would not be able to use the 240v grinder in the workplace anyway. so no need to be so pedantic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Martron wrote: »
    i think there should be an exclusion zone around you . you are the unluckiest man ever.

about the blade. if you stop the rotating blade in the cut. it could grip and jolt in your hands if you not ready.

i know. Broken wrist (last year) , Broken leg, broken ribs and fingers, and near severed thumb.

In 17 years work.

How many soldiers come home without a scratch.
    And a chippy here at home is layed up in a plastercast. And lucky to be alive.. after work.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Well I used the new Grinder for first time today.
    Tip of the day 'always read and follow manual advice, 'it can help you in the most unexpected ways......

Attach safety guard, handle etc.
    Remove holding nut on spindle.
    Place cutting disc on spindle.
    Replace nut and tighten with spanner supplied.

Then when using any 'new disc' for first time it recomends running without load for 30seconds to check disc is ok.

So we are set and good to go!!!!!!!!

I start her up, (pleasantly no huge kick that I was expecting).
    Run her for 30 seconds, everything looks good and switch off.
    I wait for her to wind down and guess what!!
    In the last quarter of the winding down proceess the disc begins to wobble and vibrate, ooeeerrrr, didn't like that lol.

Place the machine on table to investigate.....problem was..
    The round backing flange that the disc sits on was not located on the spindle properly.:eek:
    With all my carefull observations whilst preparing machine I did not see that. (there is only a very small amount of play/movement to locate the flange properly) for this reason I think it is 'obviously easy to miss'

Hate to think what would have happend if I just went straight to the metal I wanted to cut!

Hoping the world is a slightley safer place after posting this!
    Good night, of for a game of poker.:cool:

Advertisement