Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs players at the World Cup (merged thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

TheYid wrote: »
    And what would the reaction be if Ireland won it? We wouldn't stop talking about it for years either.

Ya, but i'm Irish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Correct, but think of the amount of people in this country that do support english clubs and mouth off about hating England :rolleyes:

idiots mate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ugh. Dawson > Upson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Kold wrote: »
    Ugh. Dawson > Upson.
    Crazy decision by Capello as far as I'm concerned.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Shocking decision from Capello alright, Dawson has been so mcuch better than Upson this season. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Agree with the other posts in that I can't understand how Capello has chosen Upson over Dawson.

On the upside, hopefully Dawson and Thudd will be injury free and feeling like they have a point to prove come the start of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Did King make it?

Crazy to bring Upson.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yeah King made it.

Goalkeepers:
    Joe Hart (Manchester City),
    David James (Portsmouth),
    Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders:
    Jamie Carragher (Liverpool),
    Ashley Cole (Chelsea),
    Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United),
    Glen Johnson (Liverpool),
    Ledley King (Tottenham),
    John Terry (Chelsea),
    Matthew Upson (West Ham),
    Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa)

Midfielders:
    Gareth Barry (Manchester City)
    Michael Carrick (Manchester United),
    Joe Cole (Chelsea),
    Steven Gerrard (Liverpool),
    Frank Lampard (Chelsea),
    Aaron Lennon (Tottenham),
    James Milner (Aston Villa),
    Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City)

Forwards:
    Peter Crouch (Tottenham),
    Jermain Defoe (Tottenham),
    Emile Heskey (Aston Villa),
    Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

So Spurs and Chelsea both have the most at 4 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Agree with the other posts in that I can't understand how Capello has chosen Upson over Dawson.

On the upside, hopefully Dawson and Thudd will be injury free and feeling like they have a point to prove come the start of next season.

im agree with most than have seen all or most of spurs games that dawson was brilliant this year. biggest one puzzling me is ex spur darren bent, had a very good season and got cut for ****ing HESKEY!!! i wouldnt play him for a lenster senior league team

I'm sticking €10 e/w today on peter to get top scorer. €260 if he gets top 5 so in reality he has to score about 4 maybe 5 goals at the most.

He def didn't pick his strongest team IMHO. Although the Dawson/upson debate is moot because I would imagine King will be first choice sub but heskey over Bent is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

keane=cock wrote: »
    im agree with most than have seen all or most of spurs games that dawson was brilliant this year. biggest one puzzling me is ex spur darren bent, had a very good season and got cut for ****ing HESKEY!!! i wouldnt play him for a lenster senior league team

Oi, nothing wrong with the Leinster Senior League ;)

I think he is bringing Upson as he gives more balance being able to play on the left side of Central Defence, I'm only assumikng that's his reasoning behind it as he has been poor this calendar year.

As for Heskey, I think Capello feels he links up play better than Bent and that he would be a better foil for Rooney if need be.

In saying all that, he certainly cant clain to pick players who were in form as the 2 above make a mockery of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Id say he brought Upson, who may have to deputize due to injuries, as he works well with Green and they communicate well.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Oi, nothing wrong with the Leinster Senior League ;)

As for Heskey, I think Capello feels he links up play better than Bent and that he would be a better foil for Rooney if need be.

NOTHING AT ALL BUT ITS NOT FOR PROS!!!

as for link up play he has rooney, crouch (to a certain level) and attacking midfielder lamps. give me a goal scorer rather than an AVERAGE link up man (at best).

big slip by capello for me. anyway. looking forward to the start of this tournament.

who you lot fancy for the world cup?
    i think spain n brazil will flop!(remember where u heard it){prob be a spain brazil final now!:confused:}
    fancy england to do a semi apperance,
    can see italy boring their way into latter stages.

cant predict a winner. argentina? lucky to even be there, u never know what team diego will pick.

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm sticking €10 e/w today on peter to get top scorer. €260 if he gets top 5 so in reality he has to score about 4 maybe 5 goals at the most.

He def didn't pick his strongest team IMHO. Although the Dawson/upson debate is moot because I would imagine King will be first choice sub but heskey over Bent is madness.

what odds u getting? with who? thats not a bad bet. the prem teams have played against him so often n still he scores so teams that havent wont have that advantage!

When I looked on paddy power couple of weeks ago he was 100-1.

keane=cock wrote: »
    NOTHING AT ALL BUT ITS NOT FOR PROS!!!

as for link up play he has rooney, crouch (to a certain level) and attacking midfielder lamps. give me a goal scorer rather than an AVERAGE link up man (at best).

big slip by capello for me. anyway. looking forward to the start of this tournament.

who you lot fancy for the world cup?
    i think spain n brazil will flop!(remember where u heard it){prob be a spain brazil final now!:confused:}
    fancy england to do a semi apperance,
    can see italy boring their way into latter stages.

cant predict a winner. argentina? lucky to even be there, u never know what team diego will pick.

I have €50 on England to make the semi's they have only 1 semi-hard game if the other matches go the way they are supposed too.

I haven't picked a winner yet but I cam see holland giving it ago.

Look at Argentina/France they are poor at best, England and Spain are a history of chokers, Germany I can't see standing the whole thing without Ballack and I just don't see it in Iraly.

ziedth wrote: »
    When I looked on paddy power couple of weeks ago he was 100-1.

http://www.paddypower.com/football/international-football/world-cup-betting?ev_oc_grp_ids=120656

only 50 now:mad:

Nightmare, not really worth it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

With Rio out of the world cup Capello has Dawson on standby. I can see him getting some games too and doing really well. He deserves to be included

• Advertisement

Rio is out?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Yeah, knee ligament damage in tackle with heskey. Reports also that Drogba could be out with broken arm

Delighted for Dawson so!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

kakee wrote: »
    Yeah, knee ligament damage in tackle with heskey. Reports also that Drogba could be out with broken arm

So Emile Heskey is actually good for something :D

Dawson should have made the squad ahead of Upson anyway:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

So happy for Daws, he is a good guy and deserves this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Glad for Daws,as said in the post above he should have been picked first time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

KingdomYid wrote: »
    So happy for Daws, he is a good guy and deserves this :)

Agree with this even if it was by default. Still can't believe that Capello picked Upson ahead of Dawson.

Could we see an Spurs/England Centre Back partnership of Daws and Ledley? Who knows. Anyway hope this boosts Daws confidence even more for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

As a Utd fan, I couldn't see how Rio could be there ahead of Dawson. To me, Dawson has been the form cb of the season and if I'm not mistaken, Capello always said he would base his team on form. I think it's a case of bringing a crocked player to the WC and only realising a week before kick off that he was crocked. Best of luck to Dawson - I only fear that Capello will start Carragher ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

delighted for dawson

• Advertisement

delighted for dawson

+1

Advertisement