Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What calibration tool do you use?

• 22-05-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm finally going to pick up something to calibrate my screen! Every time I get something printed it always has a greenish cast that I've been compensating for by taking out some of the green beforehand. They are also always a little darker than I'd like so I usually up the brightness before printing too.

But now I've a little money to spare so it's time I got myself something to correct the colours properly.

I'm having a good long look through all the available tools, just wondering what do you guys use? I'm leaning towards Pantone Huey PRO but I'd like to hear opinions on tools from anyone here if you'd like to share.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a Spyder Elite 3. Best thing I invested in. Colours on screen are almost exactly what comes out printed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I also have a Spider 3 Elite and its great:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Cool I hear a lot of good things about that model. Do you guys do yur own printing then or take it to a lab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I dont have monitors calibrated ..... 'cos I dont print anything. :D

but if/when I do start printing.... will get spyder thingy - never heard a bad report about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i use a spyder elite but there is a new version of software, which is much more powerful

it costs 19 dollars to do the upgrade, well worth it

the brightness is actutally that your monitor is set to bright, most monitors are designed to do white white for the page of word of something, and if you set your monitor to about 25% brightness it will be roughly close to what you get out of a print

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

stcstc wrote: »
    the brightness is actutally that your monitor is set to bright, most monitors are designed to do white white for the page of word of something, and if you set your monitor to about 25% brightness it will be roughly close to what you get out of a print

Wow it's all spyders so far!

Thanks for that info about the brightness, I usually have the monitor brightness up quite high as I love working on a nice bright screen, but I guess it makes more sense to have it close to what it will look like as a print, then I'll have a much better end result I hope :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Spyder Elite 2 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

i use a spyder elite but there is a new version of software, which is much more powerful

it costs 19 dollars to do the upgrade, well worth it

Just bought and downloaded that upgrade. Software seems better alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Pantone Huey Pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I've got a Colormunki which lets me calibrate screen and printers (printers have to be local, doesn't let give me a direct output I can use to do calibration for lab devices and such.) Works in Windows and Mac OS. (Haven't found any way to use it Linux thus far.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

The Eye One Display 2 is what I use and it's great. If you ask any of the "Colour Experts" it is the Monitor calibrator of choice.

i agree the eyeone is the most accurate

i just prefered the software from the spyder, i found it much easier to use

The i1 is an awesome piece of equipment.. but to get the license to be able to create customer PRINTER color profile is insanely expensive (like several thousand.)

I used to work with one..and I can say it is a wonderful piece of equipment.

I went with a Colormunki because it lets me to do both screen AND printers without enormously expensive licensing for like $399.95 USD

The reason the i1 is so much better, is that all the other ones on the market pretty much are spectro-colorimeters, or simply colorimeters. The i1 is a spectro-photometer. (this is also why it's so much more expensive.)

I couldn't recommend the i1 for anyone who isn't printing professionally.. it's just too expensive. (The less expensive versions will only calibrate your screen.)

The Colormunki also comes with the ability to point it at an object, and sample the color off of that object, in case you want to take "swatches" of the actual colors within a scene to match later on. That's a neat feature.
    The Eye One Display 2 is what I use and it's great. If you ask any of the "Colour Experts" it is the Monitor calibrator of choice.

is the eyeone that much, i think its only 600stg or so for the basic version that allows you to make colour profiles for print

This is the cheapest of the i1's that's actually a spectrophotometer:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477395-REG/X_Rite_421740_Eye_One_Beamer.html#features

This is the cheaper i1, that only does monitors, and is actually a simple colorimeter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484457-REG/X_Rite_EODLT_i1Display_LT_Color_Management.html#features

Next step-up, also a colorimeter, and also only for monitors/flat panels:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465156-REG/X_Rite_EODIS2_i1Display_2_Colorimeter_Monitor.html#features

This is the entry-level spectrophotometer model that only does "small" color charts for printing:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568757-REG/X_Rite_EOBA_Eye_One_Basic_.html#features

Here is the least expensive "full" solution in an i1:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583882-REG/X_Rite_EOXTRUV_i1XTreme_UV_Cut_Color.html

(It's a LOT less expensive than the last time I looked at it.) This one does full color-chart, rather than the "small" color chart.

For a bit more, you an actually get the gear to calibrate scanners and digital cameras.

Now here's the Colormunki (which is eithre made or at least distributed by the same company as the i1:X-Rite)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550833-REG/X_Rite_CMUNPH_ColorMunki_Photo_Color_Management.html

It's much better value for the money if you're not doing seriously hardcore printing.

is the eyeone that much, i think its only 600stg or so for the basic version that allows you to make colour profiles for print

Advertisement