Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online PC Health Check Scam

Options
  • 22-05-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I have a query about cold call my parents recieved this morning.

A company pruporting to be "Online PC Health Check" or something like that were lucky enough to get my parents at home alone and assist them in getting into our PC and attempt to Run something. They claimed our PC had a virus and they needed to run a health check. Luckily enough my Dad had some sense and rang me at this stage and took their number.

They had my paretns press the Windows + R combination (Run command) and luckily enough I don't think they actually ran anything. My parents were naieve in cooperating for as long as they did. Fortunately my paretns aren't computer literate and they didn't get too far.

I advised my parents to hang up and I'd ring them back. I rang them back and asked them why they rang my parents/where did they get the number and what they were going to do.

I spoke to 2 different people from the company (both of Indian descent I think).They claimed they were providing a "free" PC health check (BS I hear u say). They also claimed they got our number from the company we purchased they PC from which is diffcult since I built the PC myself!!

Just wodering what I should do from here and has anybody encountered something similar. :confused:

I can provide the phone no. if anybody would like to ring for themselves.

Rgds
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Another similar thread in the Broadband section today http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055918513

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well known scam. A variant is directing you to a Genuine web site of Genuine remote control software (such as logmein or similar), get you to type stuff in so they can "remotely check" your PC.

Then of course they install trojan keylogger and bot slave combo software.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Reilstone78

Cheers for the replies. I actually found the thread in the other section. Plenty of info there. More annoyed about how they got our number considering we are ex directory!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Cheers for the replies. I actually found the thread in the other section. Plenty of info there. More annoyed about how they got our number considering we are ex directory!!!

random dialling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I got one of these at my parents house too. I only wish I'd gone along with his instructions to see where it led. Instead I asked him for a contact phone number, he hung up. I think it was the same company you mentioned.

They told me they got the number from Eircom - BS.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement