Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Street Map expansion project

Options

Comments

Another "90 Days" snapshot of edits for Ireland

240631.PNG

Based on the above, its clear to see the new imagery is being put to good use. Hopefully the gaps in the imagery (see below) will get filled shortly. As far as I'm aware they are finished capturing it

240632.PNG

Images above courtesy of ITOworld & the Bing imagery analyzer

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Hi-res Bing Imagery in Clare/Kerry is now available. Looks like imagery is from Oct 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Hi-res Bing Imagery in Clare/Kerry is now available. Looks like imagery is from Oct 2012

Hopefully that stripe from Meath to Lough Neagh will also become available.

For all this week I have a job active on MapCraft to add as many buildings as possible on the west side of the Corrib for Galway city. I started the job last night and so far 41 slices have been completed out of 183 by myself and other mappers from around the world.

I would love it if a few Irish folks would get involved.

If anyone is interested you can find a full write up on how to do it on my OSM blogpost which can be found here.

Its an easy way to get started into mapping in general, just simply adding buildings so if you are at all interested take a look.

*Edit*

A quick update..60% of buildings in Galway City (west) mapped as of 11:30pm

246173.jpg

You can check this out at openstreetmap.com

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Lots of great work done last weekend on mapping Galway's buildings, here's a video which shows how much was done (about 7,000 buildings added, I think..) - https://vimeo.com/62612875

Well done everybody.

• Advertisement

Cheers, forgot to post here on how it went

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Galway looks amazing now.

Do Dublin next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Galway looks amazing now.

Do Dublin next :D

For Dublin we want to wait for the "imminent" appearance of newer and more detailed aerial imagery. The stuff we have in Dublin right now is far inferior to the Galway stuff.

Dundalk seems to have reverted somehow and the N52 lives again. How can you identify the edits that did this, the history seems to show a lot of general stuff?

ardmacha wrote: »
    Dundalk seems to have reverted somehow and the N52 lives again. How can you identify the edits that did this, the history seems to show a lot of general stuff?

There is a philosophical difference of opinion between groups of OSM mappers on how strongly to favour ground truth over other things. A mapper local to Dundalk felt that the unmodified signs should be reflected on the map. I happen to disagree. Time to lobby for the signs to be updated so we can all get along...

• Advertisement

There is a philosophical difference of opinion between groups of OSM mappers on how strongly to favour ground truth over other things. A mapper local to Dundalk felt that the unmodified signs should be reflected on the map. I happen to disagree.

As road renumberings do happen, and signs don't change instantaneously, some former number structure is needed on Openstreetmap map. Or is there a protocol for this R132 (N52) type of thing in labelling?

In any case, as most of Louth (bar Greenore) is in the Bing shadow there is plenty of mapping to be done where no road exists at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

alternative name = Former N52 to January 2012 ( the date of the redesignation order) same with the N80 west of Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

As road renumberings do happen, and signs don't change instantaneously, some former number structure is needed on Openstreetmap map. Or is there a protocol for this R132 (N52) type of thing in labelling?

In any case, as most of Louth (bar Greenore) is in the Bing shadow there is plenty of mapping to be done where no road exists at all.

The R132 applies to the old N1 anyway. Has there been a regional road number given to the N52 between Ardee and Dundalk yet?

Seemingly not, maybe it is an L road. The r420 Tullamore - Moate was signed for ages before it was designated on top of the N80.

A roads order in 2006 left the N80 intact.
    The M6 section Kilbeggan - Athlone was opened in June 2008 with R420 signs in Moate.
    The R420 was only completely designated in early 2012 ....after the Tullamore Bypass was built and with the N80 terminating on the Tullamore Bypass.

so they may sign it absent an order as R _something_ and not produce an order for a few years hence. They only appear every 6 years at best.

The best classification is orphan R Road awaiting a numbering allocation. But it is no longer an N Road north of Ardee. :)

R171 ( since 28 02 2012 )

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0054.html

No alternative R road anyway.

Ardee — Louth — Dundalk, County Louth

Between its junction with N2 at Glebe in the town of Ardee in the county of Louth and its junction with R215 at Park Street in the town of Dundalk via Pepperstown Cross, Tallanstown, Mullacrew, Louth, Whitecross, Grange, Knockbridge and Ballybarrack in the county of Louth: Rath, Ardee Street, The Crescent and Anne Street in the town of Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

(see attached pics)

matthiku wrote: »
    (see attached pics)

Just got the VDSL cabinets mapped there yesterday , as these are mapped by individuals who spotted them you may add them to Openstreetmap as telephone exchanges if you wish. No copyright issues.

http://bit.ly/10834qE

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Seemingly not, maybe it is an L road. The r420 Tullamore - Moate was signed for ages before it was designated on top of the N80.

A roads order in 2006 left the N80 intact.
    The M6 section Kilbeggan - Athlone was opened in June 2008 with R420 signs in Moate.
    The R420 was only completely designated in early 2012 ....after the Tullamore Bypass was built and with the N80 terminating on the Tullamore Bypass.

so they may sign it absent an order as R _something_ and not produce an order for a few years hence. They only appear every 6 years at best.

The best classification is orphan R Road awaiting a numbering allocation. But it is no longer an N Road north of Ardee. :)

R171 ( since 28 02 2012 )

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0054.html

No alternative R road anyway.

Ardee — Louth — Dundalk, County Louth

Between its junction with N2 at Glebe in the town of Ardee in the county of Louth and its junction with R215 at Park Street in the town of Dundalk via Pepperstown Cross, Tallanstown, Mullacrew, Louth, Whitecross, Grange, Knockbridge and Ballybarrack in the county of Louth: Rath, Ardee Street, The Crescent and Anne Street in the town of Dundalk.
    That statutory instrument appears to clarify everything, it is the R171 road now. I wonder if the speed limit will be reduced. Louth County Council had been active in keeping the more appropriate parts of the R132 at 100 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That statutory instrument appears to clarify everything, it is the R171 road now. I wonder if the speed limit will be reduced. Louth County Council had been active in keeping the more appropriate parts of the R132 at 100 kph.

There would be a seperate council bylaw document, that increases the speed again, if they want to keep it at 100 km/h.

/M

That statutory instrument appears to clarify everything, it is the R171 road now.

It is not the R171, this is the existing road through Louth village.

I wonder if the speed limit will be reduced.

Very little, if any, of the N52 between Dundalk and Ardee was suited to 100kph anyway, 80Kph is appropriate enough.

I am unfamilar with Openstreetmap (I suppose I should get in there). Is there something like a a script for renumbering where the physical attributes of the road haven't changed, or do you have to edit each section individually?

I am unfamilar with Openstreetmap (I suppose I should get in there). Is there something like a a script for renumbering where the physical attributes of the road haven't changed, or do you have to edit each section individually?

You edit each section individually. Sometimes these sections can be the whole stretch or part of the stretch. Depends on how detailed it has been mapped.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Great work being done in Ennis alright. The new imagery is really helping there.

Marlow wrote: »
    There would be a seperate council bylaw document, that increases the speed again, if they want to keep it at 100 km/h.

/M
    Yes indeed, I'm aware of that. If there's any garda speed vans in the area, I hope they are aware of such speed limits being increased to 100 kph again otherwise this will happen again: http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/temp/drivers-refunded-as-limit-is-clarified-27100882.html
    ardmacha wrote:
    It is not the R171, this is the existing road through Louth village.
    Apologies, an oversight on my part. I forgot about that road and I never use it. The R171 doesn't even start within the urban area of Ardee. I suppose the ex-N52 moniker will have to do for the moment. Also this link (http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/monasterboice-speed-limits-to-stay-at-80kph-27098360.html), although no longer accurate as some of the stretch in question is at 100 kph, does show a tendency on the part of Louth Co. Co. to reintroduce 100 kph speed limits on declassified roads even where their implementation is not merited. I think the old N52 is better suited to 80 kph also.

Yes indeed, I'm aware of that. If there's any garda speed vans in the area, I hope they are aware of such speed limits being increased to 100 kph again otherwise this will happen again: http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/temp/drivers-refunded-as-limit-is-clarified-27100882.html

Happened outside Athlone on the old N6, too. GoSafe had to cancel all fines they had issued just after the re-classification.

/M

old_ref would be the usual tag for this. In this instance, the local mapper wasn't satisfied with that approach. And no, you should never roll two "things" up in one tag through the use of brackets.

old_ref would be the usual tag for this. In this instance, the local mapper wasn't satisfied with that approach. And no, you should never roll two "things" up in one tag through the use of brackets.

Absolutely, there should not having two things in one tag. Labels from a composite of tags should be possible, for road renumbering in this case, but also for multiplexes etc.

Absolutely, there should not having two things in one tag. Labels from a composite of tags should be possible, for road renumbering in this case, but also for multiplexes etc.

Multiplexes can be handled with relations, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any on the Irish road network.

Its about that time again, another "90 days of edits" snapshot for Ireland.

First up, the imagery for Clare/Limerick/Kerry went live on 28th feb, the red area in the south west in the image below is where the gap existed, now filled.

240632.PNG

As a result, there has been a swarm of activity in that general area since then. See below

253308.png

As it stands, only the red area above, on the East of the country, is all we are waiting on imagery for. Once that arrives, expect to see that side of the map get a load of updates.

There's been quite a bit happening in the openstreetmap community in general since I last did one of these. 2 things of concern to general users are:

"Add a note" feature which allows anyone to add a comment to the map highlighting where there is might be a problem. Keep in mind if using this to provide as much detail as possible as it'll be the Irish OSM folks who'll be fixing the map for you ;)

The launch of the new editor, iD, on the main openstreetmap.com website which, for anyone turned off mapping by the previous editor, potlatch, or just not brave enough to give it a go, this makes the whole process a whole hell of a lot easier. Since it was launched a few days ago, in Ireland alone, we've seen the number of people editing almost double
    The new editor, codenamed ‘iD’, boasts an intuitive interface and clear walk-throughs that make editing much easier for new mappers.

Note, it is still in active development as additional features are added so there may be times when it slows as it is being updated (or we get slashdotted again ;) )

As always, help is freely available if anyone needs it, just pop by the Irish OSM chatroom and ask away (just keep in mind it may take a few mins for a response sometimes)

90 days activity information courtesy of ITOworld, tiles from openstreetmap & Bing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Excellent, ye do great work and keep my GPS mapping updated at all times! It'll be great once new imagery appears of Dublin, what is there is shockingly out of date. Can't wait for more detail when new images appear. Any idea when that is due?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Excellent, ye do great work and keep my GPS mapping updated at all times! It'll be great once new imagery appears of Dublin, what is there is shockingly out of date. Can't wait for more detail when new images appear. Any idea when that is due?

Latest update from the satellite imagery company Digital Globe :

"Given that it is winter in Europe, no new acquisitions were made in April. The final data collections for this project should start in May or June."

So we'd prob see the imagery in Bing in July/August.

Otherwise, it would be great if everyone tried the new iD editor, a lot of work has gone in make it easier for new users to make edits and it has a good introduction tutorial.

As this is a road nut forum - how about people try to use it add the LXXXX local road refs to OSM? In the editor, all you have to do is add the tag ref=LXXXXX to any existing roads. OSI or google dont have maps that show the new L-ref signs so after all the money being spent by county councils erecting all these signs it would be a shame that noboby can benefit it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Otherwise, it would be great if everyone tried the new iD editor, a lot of work has gone in make it easier for new users to make edits and it has a good introduction tutorial.

Spent a couple of hours using the new ID editor at the weekend. Much cleaner. The only work was doing the tracing (of Bing imagery), and trying to figure out what classifications/tags to use where (a general OSM issue, nothing to do with the new editor). New editor gets the thumbs up from me (having used the p2 thingy before).

Advertisement