Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Street Map expansion project

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I just tested the ID - seems to be much easier than p2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Just a question....is there any LEGEND available for OSM?

There are all sort of background colours that have no apparent explanation.

Look on the left bar, the Map Key link will open a slider showing everything you need

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

(This is my latest OSM blog entry, if you're interested or want to discuss in this context)

This is to celebrate my 500th edit since joining the OSM community in '09.

I know, not much in 4 years, but the majority of those edits were done in the last 4 months!

I always enjoyed mapping but the arrival of Bing imagery and my local knowledge of the area involved (the town of Ennis really got me excited! And certainly also the friendly and helpful OSM community and the brilliant tools that are available.

Now, the mantra I kept hearing was: Do not tag (or map) for the renderer! And I bought into it. And I still believe it's important and true.

HOWEVER!

I came to the conclusion that what actually made this creative work so compelling and addictive was to look at the rendered work! To see how your town's representation on a map changes from the bare skeleton of roads into a living, colourful 'painting' is breathtakingly and satisfying. And to know that you played not a small part in it makes it even better!

So yes, "don't map for the renderer", but I love to see my work in a gaudy representation and my appreciation goes to all tools and web sites who ...

... render for the mapper!

;-)

Happy mapping!
    MaKs

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

New bing imagery!

1) Missing block 'Up North' is now added. Goes as far south as Dundalk: CaptureDatesRange: 7/24/2011-5/26/2012

http://ant.dev.openstreetmap.org/bingimageanalyzer/?lat=54.41573362292812&lon=-6.06170654296875&zoom=9&l=osm

2) Some new hires (up to zoom 19) in Dublin. CaptureDatesRange: 7/13/2011
    See the blue border at:
    http://ant.dev.openstreetmap.org/bingimageanalyzer/?lat=53.3284125525758&lon=-6.131744384765625&zoom=10&l=osm

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

I've opened that Train Station.

Alas it's not covered by the new hi-res bings, so the connector roads are unknown.

What's this about new hi-res bings? Well, as of last night much of Dublin City and Fingal as well as Norn Iron is now covered by 30cm/px imagery from, it looks like, 2011. It's not visible on maps.bing.com yet, but if you use any of the OSM editors you should see the new imagery.

This is a real boon for the accuracy and completeness of the map in those parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Bodan

Alas it's not covered by the new hi-res bings, so the connector roads are unknown.

What's this about new hi-res bings? Well, as of last night much of Dublin City and Fingal as well as Norn Iron is now covered by 30cm/px imagery from, it looks like, 2011. It's not visible on maps.bing.com yet, but if you use any of the OSM editors you should see the new imagery.

This is a real boon for the accuracy and completeness of the map in those parts of the country.

you can look at it through yahoo maps. http://y.ahoo.it/LRNZi1Oi
    I am surprised bing.com own maps service hasn't been updated yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The new Bing maps in Dublin are great. We've been falling behind bigtime vs Galway, Ennis etc.

Whats say we make a push on Dublin? I've already done a bit of picking about in the south of the city. Looking at the imagery, whats there is actually shockingly inaccurate and patchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I live in the area. I'm going to pop out and map them now.

• Advertisement

mackerski wrote: »
    I live in the area. I'm going to pop out and map them now.

Hansfield station and access roads now on the map.

Hansfield station and access roads now on the map.

And a very crooked road it is passing through empty space in flat land! ;)

Quickelles wrote: »
    And a very crooked it road is is passing through empty space in flat land! ;)

Yes, complete with a speed limit of 30. My theory is that this road is planned to be part of a later phase of residential development. I didn't map them, but there are a bunch of stub roads left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

On the N52 issue, there are recent gantries on the N1 north of Dundalk which refer to the relief road as the N52. This is rather odd, while the N52 from the M1 to Ardee seems to have no replacement number, the relief road is clearly the R132
    "Inner Relief Road, Tain Bridge and Dowdallshill in the town of Dundalk: Faughart Lower, and Drumnasillagh, in the county of Louth"

ardmacha wrote: »
    On the N52 issue, there are recent gantries on the N1 north of Dundalk which refer to the relief road as the N52. This is rather odd, while the N52 from the M1 to Ardee seems to have no replacement number, the relief road is clearly the R132
    "Inner Relief Road, Tain Bridge and Dowdallshill in the town of Dundalk: Faughart Lower, and Drumnasillagh, in the county of Louth"

I think the only way to resolve this is to approach NRA and Louth Co Co and ask for clarification on the new number for the old N52 and when they are planning to fix the signs to match the legal docs.

I think the only way to resolve this is to approach NRA and Louth Co Co and ask for clarification on the new number for the old N52 and when they are planning to fix the signs to match the legal docs.

Same situation in Dublin with the de-national-routing of the N3, N11 etc.

As the NRA and Local Authorities were surely involved in the renumbering decision you'd think it wouldn't take several years to bring the signs into line?

Also AA roadwatch on RTE seems to be unaware of the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Same situation in Dublin with the de-national-routing of the N3, N11 etc.

Not quite, it is one thing removing/replacing existing signs, it is another to erect new ones more than a year after the re-designation.
    Replacing a load of signs in the middle of cutbacks might not be a priority, but they should not have re designated the roads until they were ready to spend the money on the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Quickelles wrote: »
    As the NRA and Local Authorities were surely involved in the renumbering decision

In the case of one council I know of the renumbering was a surprise, including a newly built road the council had signposted with a R number that they thought was for them but ended up going to a road in a different county entirely. In fact at the time they didn't even know the new national and regional schedules had been published. I'm not sure if the NRA spoke to them at all.

I know Dublin City Council were prime movers in the de-trunking inside the M50 but it's possible neither they nor the NRA consulted Kildare, South Dublin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

New bing imagery along east coast.

Thin strip from Laytown in Meath as far as Dundalk, goes as far west as Dunleer, covers parts of M1.

Section in N Wicklow from Newtownmountkennedy to Ashford, goes as far west as Laragh.

http://ant.dev.openstreetmap.org/bingimageanalyzer/?lat=53.50030019180739&lon=-6.09466552734375&zoom=9&l=osm

Also, according to http://apollomapping.com/blog/update-on-digitalglobes-precision-aerial-imagery-program-usa-europe-7 , high res imagery was captured in Dublin in June/July 2013 so we should see that replacing the Dublin imagery in a month or two.

• Advertisement

The annual OpenStreetMap 'State of the Map' conference kicks off tomorrow. If you're interested in the project you can stream the talks and find out more on the conference website here: http://2013.stateofthemap.org/

I'm giving a talk on Sunday about how we're getting on in Ireland, I'll post a link to the slides when they're online.

The videos from The State of the Map conference are online, if you want to subject yourselves to 20 minutes of me talking about 'The State of Ireland' the video is here: http://citizen.civico.net/openstreetmapfoundation/stateofthemap/1146 - at 5:33:00.

The slides are here: https://speakerdeck.com/manaboutcouch/the-state-of-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Interesting stuff! So we're up to excellent coverage on roads (and generally of much higher accuracy than Navteq in my experience). Buildings... yeah we need to do something there. Even Dublin is appallingly badly covered there.

Thats mainly due to not many tracing buildings from the old imagery as it was so old and mis-aligned

Now that there is new Bing imagery for the city, expect to see the qty of buildings gradually increasing

On a side note, check out my post here. I am organising a monthly mappy meetup, with the first one happening this Sat in the Skeff in Galway city from 3-6pm. Anyone interested in openstreetmap, open data etc are more than welcome to pop along.

Anyone interested in openstreetmap, open data etc are more than welcome to pop along.

I'm sure some of the folk in DERI might be interested, especially in the Open Data aspect.

:) Already did, dropped an email to one of the folks there

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Missing high-res sections on the East coast seem to be live now.

For those interested in Openstreetmap, there is a meetup on Mar 8th in Dublin, details below, taken from here
    OpenStreetMap Hack Day

TOG is hosting an OpenStreetMap hack day/meet up/barcamp! OSM members will meet up in Dublin and do open street mappy stuff on laptops in TOG. Like an indoor mapping party / hack day / social meet up / barcamp.

What is OpenStreetMap?

OpenStreetMap is a world wide, open content map. It’s Wikipedia meets Google Maps.

If you’d like to learn more about OpenStreetMap, come along! Want to start mapping your local area, and want help? Come along! Want to find out how to use the low level OpenStreetMap data? Come along! This event is open to all, TOG members, non-TOG-members, general public, hardcore OSM mappers, and OSM newbies.

If you’re an OSM mapper and would like come, but not sure what to do, don’t worry we have loads of townlands to map. :)
    Details

The event is scheduled to run from 12noon until about 6pm on Saturday 8th March 2014. However there is not a fixed schedule so feel free to drop in or out whenever you want.

There is no charge. The event is open to TOG members and members of the general public. Rory is the point of contact for the event. We’ll probably go for some beers or something that evening. You aren’t required to bring anything, but that will limit what you can do. I’d suggest bringing a laptop or something. TOG has free wifi.

TOG & OpenStreetMap

TOG has hosted a mapping party and held talks about OSM. TOG itself has been mapped on OSM for years, and when we moved to new premises, the location was updated. :)

Just in time for the Hack Day, the final chunk if missing imagery has arrived. The entire island of Ireland is now covered with high resolution imagery.

A quick look at places like Newbridge and Kells shows that there is a bit of work to be done there but the new imagery should be a real help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just in time for the Hack Day, the final chunk if missing imagery has arrived. The entire island of Ireland is now covered with high resolution imagery.
    There is still a large chunk of Wicklow that is missing as far as I can see on Bing maps. West of Laragh all the way across to the N81 and beyond is appallingly low resolution.

Advertisement