Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Street Map expansion project

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4404511#map=19/53.28210/-6.29705

That one is even more bollixed, its gone altogether.

OK, fixed. This isn't nice. I'm trying to work out a nice way to find other examples. It's hard because there's often no clue that it used to be a motorway. Perhaps finding multipolygons with highway tagging?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just about every roundabout in CityWest had the problem.

Actually, check for multipolygons where I added maxspeed=50/60/80 in the last 3 months in the South Dublin County Council area.
    mackerski wrote: »
    It's hard because there's often no clue that it used to be a motorway.
    I don't think any of them are or were motorways (not in real life anyway).

Victor wrote: »
    Just about every roundabout in CityWest had the problem.

Actually, check for multipolygons where I added maxspeed=50/60/80 in the last 3 months in the South Dublin County Council area.

I don't think any of them are or were motorways (not in real life anyway).

Damn you autocorrect! Motorway=multipolygon.

I really hope this isn't a common thing :(

:D
    I really hope this isn't a common thing :(
    I've not particularly noticed it anywhere else, and I've added speed limits to probably a few thousand roads, mostly urban.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What's the purple circle around Naas? Some kind of middling hadron collider or somthing ;) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What's the purple circle around Naas? Some kind of middling hadron collider or somthing ;) ?

Its the town boundary, there's a note explaining it - "Circular boundary with a 1.5 mile radius from the Town Hall". Most towns have more defined boundaries along roads, rivers, whatever.

Why its showing so hugely noticeably at some zoom levels I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are town boundaries still valid with the abolition reform of local govt?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are town boundaries still valid with the abolition reform of local govt?

For a few reasons, yes.

Currently rates are being equalised over a few years in Kildare for instance; also DEDs usually match the boundaries and are used for council wards, constituency boundaries, etc, etc.

One of my 'things' is adding electrical transformers. Of hte 250 or so tranfsormers mapped in Ireland, I've mapped about 60%. I was heading into the city centre the other day to go to Cineworld and shopping.

I spotted a transformer in a laneway and my brain said "remember that for mapping later". the I realised I was in the cinema and that transformer was in Singapore. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

I've noticed a change of colour on Motorways and National primary and Secondary's. Is it a mistake or a change of policy?

medoc wrote: »
    I've noticed a change of colour on Motorways and National primary and Secondary's. Is it a mistake or a change of policy?

Remember that OSM is a data set first and foremost. The default map style you see on osm.org is (and even there you can switch to others) intended as a showcase and not especially as a product to be used intact by the public. Anybody is free to create their own map in their own style using the underlying data, and many do.

So the colouring isn't set in stone and experimentation will take place. I find the new colours jarring because they don't match what I expect for Ireland, but as a worldwide map style I have a feeling it may be an improvement. I'm keeping an open mind until I've become used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Remember that OSM is a data set first and foremost. The default map style you see on osm.org is (and even there you can switch to others) intended as a showcase and not especially as a product to be used intact by the public. Anybody is free to create their own map in their own style using the underlying data, and many do.

So the colouring isn't set in stone and experimentation will take place. I find the new colours jarring because they don't match what I expect for Ireland, but as a worldwide map style I have a feeling it may be an improvement. I'm keeping an open mind until I've become used to it.

Never thought of it like that. It'll take some time to get used to the colours. Over the years I'd just become accustomed to how it was, and it was sort of logical, for Ireland at least with motorways blue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm not a fan of the new colours, old Mapnik was better. Blue must be used for motorways, none of this red nonsense :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Back to Blue and Green please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Glad to have spotted this thread. A while back I was keen to get involved in mapping but got a bit confused\put off by the beginners' FAQs on OSM and the JOSM/Potlatch choice. I must take another look.

I probably have quite a few tracks from the blank areas in West Cork and Kerry (Here be Dragons!) but no road numbers to go with them. Is it worth, or permitted, uploading road data in that case? Is there a minimum resolution recommended for track points? Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

A lot better overall... :)

When zoomed out, I think the main DCs should be beefed up (line thickness) like the M-ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I have to retract my earlier comment about West Cork containing "terra incognita" The roads are very well mapped. I jumped to the wrong conclusion when looking at the map of updates. Maybe my tracks won't be of much use after all.

• Advertisement

Middle Man wrote: »
    A lot better overall... :)

When zoomed out, I think the main DCs should be beefed up (line thickness) like the M-ways.
    I'm not sure if that is practical, as dual carriageways are mapped as two parallel one-way roads. Motorways are motorways - whether single or dual carriageway - an example in Ireland would be the former M32, now part of the M50. Single carriageway motorways are rare, but not unique, e.g. http://www.cbrd.co.uk/motorway/a6144m

Advertisement