Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Street Map expansion project

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I just recorded two L-roads to test my tracking software. The roads I recorded are not already on OpenStreetMap. I want to give the trace file to someone who knows what to do with it so that it can be added to OSM. Any volunteers?

I think I figured it out actually. I actually mapped three roads. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Tremelo wrote: »
    I just recorded two L-roads to test my tracking software. The roads I recorded are not already on OpenStreetMap. I want to give the trace file to someone who knows what to do with it so that it can be added to OSM. Any volunteers?

I think I figured it out actually. I actually mapped three roads. Delighted!

Looks like you've added a good deal more since you posted this! Hope you keep this up.

If anybody needs real-time help getting started there's usually some Irish osm mappers in the #osm-ie irc channel, who would be glad to help.

Here's a direct web browser link to irc channel: http://www.mibbit.com/chat/?server=irc.oftc.net&channel=%23osm-ie

Also, we've recently added a new map source to Potlatch2, a 1940s 1inch British War Office map of Ireland. Under Background menu it is listed as "Ireland- NLS Historic Maps". The map needs re-alignment though - press spacebar and drag the map to align with know good roads or traces. Map is available up to zoom level 15.

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Looks like you've added a good deal more since you posted this! Hope you keep this up.

If anybody needs real-time help getting started there's usually some Irish osm mappers in the #osm-ie irc channel, who would be glad to help.

Here's a direct web browser link to irc channel: http://www.mibbit.com/chat/?server=irc.oftc.net&channel=%23osm-ie

Also, we've recently added a new map source to Potlatch2, a 1940s 1inch British War Office map of Ireland. Under Background menu it is listed as "Ireland- NLS Historic Maps". The map needs re-alignment though - press spacebar and drag the map to align with know good roads or traces. Map is available up to zoom level 15.

Thanks - just joined. I'm wondering, though, in terms of back roads (i.e. low level L roads), should I map these as tertiary or minor roads? I'm quite unsure about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Offhand, I think the convention is tertiary up to L5000, and minor for the rest.

181272.jpg

181273.jpg

181274.jpg

181275.jpg

181276.jpg

Still a huge amount of mapping to be done. Given how long it took me to map a handful of roads over the weekend, I can appreciate now what a mammoth undertaking it will be to have the whole of the road network mapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Lots done, lots more to do...

It looks like I might be giving another introductory talk on OSM in Drimnagh in Dublin on the afternoon of Sunday 20th November. I'll update this thread with time and place if/when that's confirmed.

If I do give a presentation I'll stick it on Slideshare (here) when I'm done.

I have a slightly modified render of OSM data here:

http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/?zoom=9&lat=52.65135&lon=-7.64429&layers=B000FFTFFFFFFFFFF

This version map shows placenames and local roads a little earlier than main OSM site.

Unsurprisingly, you can see that local road density is heaviest around city commuter belts.

Outside the main city hinterlands, you can also see that places like all of County Wexford and an area around Carlow/Rathdowney/Kilkenny/Carlow is doing pretty well.

Map is updated every morning.

I can see that the 14 roads I added over the weekend are now visible. Still, the area north of Tipp town and Cashel is very bare. Over Christmas I'll try to fill in a few of those gaps to a lesser extent.

Just though I let you know that OSM have a funding drive underway for a new backup database server.

If you like what OSM does and feel like helping out you can make a donation on the following page.

http://donate.openstreetmap.org/server2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Got my new phone over the xmas, and just heading out now to do my first bit of mapping, wish me luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Any chance of an update from someone in the know on the _Current_ best Android and iPhone apps with which to track/do mapping and with linky poos for download if poss??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Any chance of an update from someone in the know on the _Current_ best Android and iPhone apps with which to track/do mapping and with linky poos for download if poss??

Vespucci!
    It's one of the better android editors, and I've only recently started using it.
    I have found OSMTracker to be handy too for certain things - eg right now i'm tagging speed limits, and using OSMTracker to mark waypoints as i drive.
    for viewing purposes I use Open Map.

All of the above for Android.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If anyone knows of any Symbian apps suited for using, I do an insane amount of mileage including rural roads but I do not own nor am I likely to ever own an iPhone or Android unit. But I've got a Nokia with 32GB of storage and a decent GPS receiver...

dear god this is driving me bananas

I've done everything fine up to the point where I have to llog into OSM site. It wont let me in no matter what I do. Registered, got the email, verified email address etce tce etc, still cant get in.

I have 2 gpx files ready to upload (was a lot easier than i thought it would be) but I'm snookered by the osm site :/

Spongebob I would second the recommendation for osm tracker. Incredibly easy to use

heres your linkypoo https://market.android.com/details?id=me.guillaumin.android.osmtracker&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm1lLmd1aWxsYXVtaW4uYW5kcm9pZC5vc210cmFja2VyIl0.

myob, I went from nokia to android for a variety of reasons, one of which was to allow me to do this. I couldnt find anything that "just worked" for nokia in the ovi market

Many thanks guys

dear god this is driving me bananas

I've done everything fine up to the point where I have to llog into OSM site. It wont let me in no matter what I do. Registered, got the email, verified email address etce tce etc, still cant get in.

I have 2 gpx files ready to upload (was a lot easier than i thought it would be) but I'm snookered by the osm site :/

Spongebob I would second the recommendation for osm tracker. Incredibly easy to use

If you need some real-time help to get you started there's usually ppl online in the irish osm-ie irc channel who'd be more than happy to help.

use this link to connect to irc channel via your web browser

On the iPhone, I've been using the MotionX GPS app. It creates crude traces, apparently, and its settings are pretty limited, but it seems to do the job.

well I've spent the last hour updating my local area based on my traces.

Also added some details to some markers that were blank where I could.

Over the next few days I should be able to add a nice bit of detail for east galway

• Advertisement

well, thanks to IrlJudel and others in the osm-ie chatroom I was flying in no time.

Thanks again for your help folks. This is a hundred times easier than I thought it was going to be

don't feel guilty about uploading a trace that seems to have been done already unless it was done LOADS of times.

The best utility is JOSM , once your username and password work. http://josm.openstreetmap.de/

When you first use JOSM concentrate on downloading and poking through existing map work and seeing how it is strung together and marked. Usually a city area is done best. Highlight a block or two and work out how the myriad single points and lines are marked into maps.

Until you figure JOSM out use the online editor , Potlatch 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

MYOB wrote: »
    If anyone knows of any Symbian apps suited for using, I do an insane amount of mileage including rural roads but I do not own nor am I likely to ever own an iPhone or Android unit. But I've got a Nokia with 32GB of storage and a decent GPS receiver...

Try GpsMid - I used to use it a lot with nokia 5230
    http://gpsmid.sourceforge.net/

MYOB wrote: »

I've never owned a Symbian phone so all I can do is point to to 2 OSM wiki pages where they appear to list the features of symbiam apps:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Symbian
    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Software/J2ME

I presume you mostly want something to record your gps traces? See the "Track making features " section on the above two links. If so the main features you'll need are
    1) record track in gpx format
    2) configure the recording interval - you'll prob want this about every 1-2 second
    3) record DOP (Dilution of precision) value is a nice-to-have but not essential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Might give this a go see what its like. The tracing seems simple enough, download the app and away you go. Will prob need help with the josm but I'll get there :D

Couple of things to remember, 1-2 sec interval is good on a motorway and the dilution of precision feature is also good.

If you are walking a hill path 1-2 secs if probably overkill, 20 secs would be just as good.

A trace is a trace, it is only when you tag and upload it (or upload THEN tag it) that the map 'knows' whether it is a boreen or a motorway.

Tagging conventions in Ireland are explained below . I think Motorways and National roads are complete.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ireland/Roads

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Couple of things to remember, 1-2 sec interval is good on a motorway and the dilution of precision feature is also good.

If you are walking a hill path 1-2 secs if probably overkill, 20 secs would be just as good.

A trace is a trace, it is only when you tag and upload it (or upload THEN tag it) that the map 'knows' whether it is a boreen or a motorway.

Tagging conventions in Ireland are explained below . I think Motorways and National roads are complete.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ireland/Roads

I leave all my logging on 1 second always. Too inconvenient for me to go changing it all the time =0)
    Traces dont always need to be uploaded to the osm serves in order to edit OSM, unless you are using potlatch to edit i think.
    I edit with josm and rarely if ever upload my traces - i just open them locally in josm.

Motorways are complete, national primary and secondary roads are done. Regional roads are mostly done, but local roads are the big challenge, and we have alot of gaps.

But remember, OSM is not all about roads either =0)
    Hiking trails, tracks, the location of postboxes and playgrounds, rivers, canals, railways, etc. park benches and trees if you want to go as far as some of the german mappers have =0)

Condi wrote: »

Does gpsbabel not have support for the format in question?

I have done some building surveys with a handheld, got a great outline of a building from its roof =0)

• Advertisement

Advertisement