Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Street Map expansion project

Options

Comments

what are people using for recording traces with android phones?

Im using OSM Tracker but Im finding that its cutting out if i open another app and picks back up again when I switch back to it. Results in gaps in my traces.

It would be handy if there was one that would run in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Strange, I'm using OSMTracker for android v0.5.6 (http://osm-tracker-android.googlecode.com) and it works fine in the background. Phone: galaxy S2

got it sorted. I have a task killer that was shutting it down/turning off GPS

Started using JOSM over the last few days, big difference between that and Potlatch. Its a bit daunting at first but once I got the hang of it I dont think I can ever go back to Potlatch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

started looking at naming the roads in my locality in potlatch2, I've sen an issue where road segments on the map cross the boundary between different street names, or have one way sections on part of the segment only

What's the procedure there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

You have to cut the path up into the relevant segments. There's a little scissors icon in the bottom right of the editor iirc. To see how it's properly done, just find somewhere with a complicated naming/one-way system (pretty much anywhere in Dublin city centre for example) and look at how it's done in edit mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Aard wrote: »
    You have to cut the path up into the relevant segments. There's a little scissors icon in the bottom right of the editor iirc.

What Aard said - you have to split on a node, so if there isn't one in the right place already, just add one yourself before splitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

I gave a quick 5 minute talk on 'Mapping Change: Changing Maps' at Ignite Dublin before Christmas. It features OpenStreetMap quite heavily, especially the response to the Haiti earthquake, I also mentioned OpenIrishMap

The kind folks at Ignite videoed the talk and stuck it on YouTube:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

I see that daft.ie have switched from Google Maps to OpenStreetMap for their mapping.

Great news for the project, along with the recent announcements by GeoCaching and FourSquare, not to mention the use of OSM by Apple. Hopefully this will lead to more contributors in Ireland.

OSM is finally taking off! I think that google maps reached some level of details and they cannot move any further - simply no man power to map the whole world and not everything can be mapped from satellite pictures.

It's another good news after after this: http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2012/03/08/welcome-apple/

"The OSM data that Apple is using is rather old (start of April 2010) so don’t expect to see your latest and greatest updates on there. It’s also missing the necessary credit to OpenStreetMap’s contributors; we look forward to working with Apple to get that on there. But we’re delighted to see another prominent map user make the switch to OpenStreetMap, and look forward to many more."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Excellent presentation, ManAboutCouch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

I see that daft.ie have switched from Google Maps to OpenStreetMap for their mapping.

Great news for the project, along with the recent announcements by GeoCaching and FourSquare, not to mention the use of OSM by Apple. Hopefully this will lead to more contributors in Ireland.

Also the LUAS maps at every stop are using (unattributed!) OSM map data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Since looking at OSM maybe one year ago, there's a lot more detail on smaller rural roads in places around Louth and Donegal and Monaghan that I know well. Good to see this project getting more momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Since looking at OSM maybe one year ago, there's a lot more detail on smaller rural roads in places around Louth and Donegal and Monaghan that I know well. Good to see this project getting more momentum.

your welcome :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Well the real magic is using JOSM and splitting long traces into their components and tagging the fragments. JOSM is too hard for new users....but they are welcome to throw up long GPS derived tracks and traces and leaving it to others to label and tag them.

have to agree with condi, its really not user friendly at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Does anyone have experience of any free android apps useful for uploading traces to OSM?

A Huge blast of Bing Imagery has just gone live. All the west is complete bar a square at the mouth of the Shannon. All Munster, All Connacht.

The imagery allows you to trace from inside th ePotlatch 2 editor so don't worry about GPS any more.

Here is the coverage map for Hi Def Bing Imagery as it happens, only a bit of Munster and a Strip from Wicklow to Antrim left to do.

http://ant.dev.openstreetmap.org/bingimageanalyzer/?lat=53.12626511169192&lon=-7.051084605974656&zoom=8

• Advertisement

Does anyone have experience of any free android apps useful for uploading traces to OSM?

Try OSMand. You have to set saving to GPX, set your account details and then you can uplad GPX tracks to OSM from Offline data menu

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A Huge blast of Bing Imagery has just gone live. All the west is complete bar a square at the mouth of the Shannon. All Munster, All Connacht.

The imagery allows you to trace from inside th ePotlatch 2 editor so don't worry about GPS any more.

Here is the coverage map for Hi Def Bing Imagery as it happens, only a bit of Munster and a Strip from Wicklow to Antrim left to do.

http://ant.dev.openstreetmap.org/bingimageanalyzer/?lat=53.12626511169192&lon=-7.051084605974656&zoom=8

Impressive quality! :D

Spongebob, would have to disagree - it's hard to beat a good handheld for accurate tracing. Aerial imagery is usually heavily skewed prior to laying down

I must disagree on the registration. I checked the photo layer against GPX tracks I had uploaded in the past and the tracks are right on top of the feature in the aerial photo. Also see how R and N roads turned out, they were done with in Car GPS in 2007 and 2008 in the main.

These Bing images were taken from a plane at around 5000 feet Condi, not from a satellite. The good handheld is advisable for getting one corner of a building checked for accuracy but most features need be accurate to within 2 or 3 meters TBH

Bing now has the best and most up to date aerial survey of Ireland...barring the missing 20% shown here

http://www.digitalglobe.com/downloads/coverage_maps/aoap/aoap_europe/AOAP_Europe_Map_Ireland.pdf

I mean LOOK at this image :)

http://binged.it/O2Qdo5

And you can use it as an underlay to draw maps on Openstreetmap in the Potlatch V2 Editor...no GPS required.

Quick Note. The new Aerial Imagery was mainly captured during the Hot week at the end of March ( West Coast) and further inland they had to wait till we got some clear hot weather in late May (poor feckers) . However the West coast imagery may be prone to more shadows as a result of sun positioning. Just a warning!

I'd say the next opportunity ( to finish) came in early August meaning the missing blocks should be live by end October.

Bing ( Microsoft) have given a no complication licence to Open Street map to 'underlay' their high resolution imagery into the OSM Editors ( Potlatch and JOSM), Bing nicked the OSM founder last year and this was a condition of his jumping, jolly decent of them. :)

You may need to edit the JOSM XML file to see this recent imagery and to do this.

1. Exit Josm
    2. Go to your Josm cache folder. In windows this is %APPDATA%/JOSM/cache
    3. Edit bing.attribution.xml and change the g parameter in the url in <ImageUrl> to 1026
    ( previous g param was 1022 )

This will load the Release 1026 imagery in the background. Happy tracing.

Interests in Meath Dublin Louth Clare and Kerry Armagh Monaghan and Antrim will need to change to a later g parameter number when the image load is complete later this year.

If it still wont show what you see in potlatch then rename bing.attribution.xml in the cache directory to bing.attribution.OLD and let it recreate the bing.attribution.xml itself when you next select the underlay in case it is some other value.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Sponge Bob wrote: »

You may need to edit the JOSM XML file to see this recent imagery and to do this.

1. Exit Josm
    2. Go to your Josm cache folder. In windows this is %APPDATA%/JOSM/cache
    3. Edit bing.attribution.xml and change the g parameter in the url in <ImageUrl> to 1026
    ( previous g param was 1022 )

You shouldn't need to use my hack anymore - the new imagery is now officially available.

IrlJidel wrote: »
    You shouldn't need to use my hack anymore - the new imagery is now officially available.

What I would encourage people to do for now is to add the missing bits of the local road network using Potlatch ( the in browser editor) and also add paths and 'tracks' ( bog roads and beach roads etc) Stay off regional and national roads ( mainly cos they are done)

When you trace all you have is a line , you must then 'tag' it ...ie tell the map what it is.

Local roads will either be Highway <> Unclassified ( if paved) or Highway <> Track (if gravel)

Paths will be highway track see this short guide.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ireland/Roads#Local_Roads

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Thanks for the heads up on the new imagery. Does anyone know if Dublin will be re-done? The aerial photos look like they were done in mid-winter and are poor compared with what Google Maps has.

• Advertisement

It will, soon.

Final point to new editors.

When you zoom in a bit on OSM you see Ireland and its Motorways. Zoom a bit more, National roads appear, zoom a bit more again ou see Regional roads then local roads then tracks and paths at high zoom.

Each level is made up of graphical TILES and your work ( particularly on local roads) may appear only if you zoom REALLY far in. This is because the sofprocesses that 'build' the graphic tiles are not alltware carried out at the same time.

It can take up to 2 weeks for your work to appear at all zoom levels. BUT if it shows up at ANY zoom level the data is there so be patient and all will be well.

Advertisement