Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Street Map expansion project

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

but in the JOSM editor there is a menu option to create and save an offset for the imagery.

Can something similar be done to align the old map visible in Potlatch to GPS traces?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Some places seem to be waaaay off. Is it worth the time to re-align everything to the bing imagery or is this likely to happen every time newer imagery is available?

Leave it for now. I will post some validation checks in a few days on the Galway West traces. Concentrate on tracing the missing bits for now. Plenty of them.

I'll concentrate on the March 2012 'west' imagery and someone else will have to validate the May 2012 Galway east imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Sound.

A lot of stuff that's not only way off but actually substantially incorrect.

Working on detail now rather than placement anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

ardmacha wrote: »
    Can something similar be done to align the old map visible in Potlatch to GPS traces?

To align background imagery in Potlatch, hold down space bar and then you can drag the imagery to realign.

All the 'new' Bing imagery ie part of the Global Ortho project should have an accuracy +- 5m. (Belfast is +- 2.7m). So you shouldn't need to realign.

Some parts of the old (Dublin/Naas) bing imagery is way off though but that should be replaced within a few months

see http://www.digitalglobe.com/downloads/coverage_maps/aoap/aoap_europe/AOAP_Europe_Map_Ireland.pdf for the new coverage areas.

I found the old Galway Bing traces were shifted too far east and south and need adjustment north and west to align correctly. That 2005 ish era aerial imagery was taken off Bing last week and replaced with the new stuff. It only covered a strip from Furbo to Oranmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I found the old Galway Bing traces were shifted too far east and south and need adjustment north and west to align correctly. That 2005 ish era aerial imagery was taken off Bing last week and replaced with the new stuff. It only covered a strip from Furbo to Oranmore.

I've processed all the gpx traces uploaded to OSM for Ireland and generated a tile layer that shows gps point data. You can use this to quickly check alignment of existing osm data vs uploaded gps points:

Map is here

Tiles are available from zoom 6 -> zoom 15.

For example you can see that Letterkenny osm data is shifted so might need realigning....

If you use Josm you can add the following tile source:
    tms[6,15]:http://dev2.openstreetmap.ie/tiles/iegpx/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png

The tiles are transparent. If you want to use these tiles in JOSM to compare with Bing, remember to layer it on top of your Bing imagery layer.

For those who like to map on the move, Android app Vespucci was taken on as one of the projects for Googles Summer of Code and the end result has seen a lot of improvements.

I found the last version horrible to use and gave up after an hour of frustration with it but this new version is a breeze to use. I've been using it the last 2 days tp map some industrial estates around Galway

Get it here on Google play store

Some instructions on its use here

One reason it was really useful, it allowed me to do really detailed mapping which is not always possible when I'm in the car and awkward when using walking papers.

See below for a josm screen shot showing all the data for Ballybane Ind Est.

223257.jpg

In almost all cases I was able to also add website, email, phone, fax details for everything i mapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The increase in detail in the OSM maps recently has been staggering. Well done to all involved - I used to have to have City Navigator on my GPS instead of just OSM for the small towns. Now I have absolutely no need for City Navigator at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I've been updating parts of Wicklow recently and noticed an issue with L road signage. In the attached screenshot the L road off the R114 is signed as L7002 (in South Dublin), while at the other end of the road it's signed as L4382 (in Wicklow). There is only one other public road intersecting and that has been marked as L8381 road by someone else (there were no signs for that road).

So my question is where does the L road change, at the county border, at the junction with L8381 or somewhere else? Or maybe the signs are wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

lamaq wrote: »
    So my question is where does the L road change, at the county border, at the junction with L8381 or somewhere else? Or maybe the signs are wrong?

At the county boundary. L numbers are assigned by each local authority so a number change at the boundary is to be expected.

• Advertisement

Give or take a few, its been 90 days since that large dump of new imagery became available.

The image below shows all activity on openstreetmap for Ireland in that period.

229093.jpg

Thousands of miles of roads, hundreds of acres of forestry, a few hundred lakes, loads of housing estates, playgrounds, schools, churchs, shops, parks and natural features all added over the last 90 days.

While this is great, you can see from the map there are still gaps where there has been little to no activity so go ahead and give it a try, any questions, just ask :)

OpenStreetMap is open data, licensed under the Open Data Commons Open Database License (ODbL).
    Layer courtesy of www.itoworld.com (links to the interactive version of the above map)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Of reasonably big settlements (by Irish standards), I've noticed the mapping in Cobh town is awful on OSM. Would be nice to get some more detail as the imagery is there. I did the eastern part of the island a while back... the western side needs work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Condi wrote: »

Although this would be a "good" outcome, and although mapping providers have the freedom to incorporate OSM data, many will be reluctant to do that, as mixing OSM with their own data will trigger an obligation for them to release the derived work under an open licence compatible with OSM's ODbL.

Meanwhile, though, we'll keep mapping the missing bits so our map can approach perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Condi wrote: »

Thanks. I've been slowly working my way down towards your part of the county. Lots done, loads more to do.

Of reasonably big settlements (by Irish standards), I've noticed the mapping in Cobh town is awful on OSM. Would be nice to get some more detail as the imagery is there. I did the eastern part of the island a while back... the western side needs work!

I've added a few roads so far today, will add more soon. It would be super useful if a local could add names and features. Armchair mapping is all well and good, but has its limits.

If you're interested in the OpenStreetMap project, or Open Data in general, then the 2nd Open Data Ireland meetup is taking place in Dublin tomorrow evening (Thurs 22nd Nov). The venue is the EngineYard office at 35 Barrow Street, and the meetup starts at 18.30.

I'll be giving a short 20 minute presentation on OSM, and there are plenty of other interesting speakers too.

The event is free, but you will need to get a ticket from the website: http://meetup.opendata.ie/

Interesting.

Where did that come from? It it openly licensed? Who did the geocoding?

Dept of education released a lot on spreadsheets some years back. Probably still there somewhere.

• Advertisement

If it comes from the Dept Ed then it's covered by copyright, unfortunately: http://www.education.ie/en/Privacy-Disclaimer/

However, there are a lot of other columns in that spreadsheet which aren't in the Dept Ed tables.

If you're interested in OpenStreetMap and you're in Dublin this Saturday, the 8th December, you might like to come along to The Bull and Castle, Christchurch (here) from about 19.00.

There will be a few of us at a table upstairs, chatting about OSM, maps in general and quaffing a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Quick question about making GPS traces. Is it possible to take these traces on a mobile phone? And if so, are any of these phones available for around the 200 euro mark?

Any android phone with gps will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Is it possible to take these traces on a mobile phone?

yes. I used Osmtracker for Android http://code.google.com/p/osmtracker-android/
    And if so, are any of these phones available for around the 200 euro mark?

Lots of options, from €70 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Any android phone with gps will do it.
    What about iPhones? I use NavFree as a SatNav and I think it's great, but there's one or two places I'd like to add. How could I do that with an iPhone?

There are a load of options out there for whatever takes your fancy

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Apple_iOS

OSMTrack is one I've heard of being used for iPhones

By the way, you don't necessarily need to use GPS to contribute. there is a load of imagery available courtesy of Bing that you can use to trace roads, parks, schools etc

serfboard wrote: »
    What about iPhones? I use NavFree as a SatNav and I think it's great, but there's one or two places I'd like to add. How could I do that with an iPhone?

Just noticed you're in Co. Galway, the new imagery covers all of Galway. Need any help getting started, let me know

serfboard wrote: »

There is a very nice POI editor for iOS called PushPin OSM. It only allows for point adding/editing at the moment, but track tracing might be available in a future update.

• Advertisement

Just a quick reminder that a bunch of OSM types will be in The Bull & Castle pub (upstairs) in Christchurch tomorrow evening (Sat 8th Dec) from about 19.00. Keep an eye out for the OSM logo:

Openstreetmap_logo.svg

Advertisement