Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching careers?

• 22-05-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I know a PhD is required to teach at university level, but is there a way to get into psychology teaching without doing a PhD, for example at a non-university 3rd level institution such as an IT, PLC, etc.?

How does one go about getting a teaching career in these places? Do you need a masters? Do you need work experience in the field? Is there anywhere to go straight into psychology teaching straight after a BA?

I would like to go into teaching right away but I’m not sure what my options are. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

DanCorb wrote: »
    I know a PhD is required to teach at university level, but is there a way to get into psychology teaching without doing a PhD, for example at a non-university 3rd level institution such as an IT, PLC, etc.?

How does one go about getting a teaching career in these places? Do you need a masters? Do you need work experience in the field? Is there anywhere to go straight into psychology teaching straight after a BA?

I would like to go into teaching right away but I’m not sure what my options are. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have done some lecturing at university level and some of my friend have too who don't yet have a PhD. I was also taught by a lot of people who didn't have a PhD, so in my understanding its not alway required.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

USA community colleges only require a masters to teach psychology. They offer 2-year degrees: Associate of Arts and Associate of Science. Also certificate programs. Universities require Ph.D. Unlike universities, you are not required to research or publish. Teaching, committee, and community service are required. Student advisement is not a faculty responsibility. Tenure typically occurs in 2 years. Most community college instructors join a teachers union. There are hundreds of community colleges in the US. For example, California has 110 with 2.9 million students. Most psychology faculty posts are on hiring freeze during recession. Once that's over, they will be hiring in greater numbers.

California Community Colleges employment link:
    https://www.cccregistry.org/jobs/index.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

You might find this boards forum more useful

Advertisement