Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulbs

Options
  • 22-05-2010 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

All my tulips (all in pots) have finished flowering and just the green stalks are left, when should I lift the bulbs and store them and when should I replant them? I tend to forget about stuff if I leave it in the ground!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could lift the pots whenever you like, but leave the foliage to die down naturally to improve the bulbs next year. You should take off the flower stalks but leave the leaves.

Edit, are the bulbs in pots in the ground, or in pots that you want to empty? You don't have to lift bulbs unless you want to put something else in. I just put in some summer bedding and leave the bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

looksee wrote: »
    You could lift the pots whenever you like, but leave the foliage to die down naturally to improve the bulbs next year. You should take off the flower stalks but leave the leaves.

Edit, are the bulbs in pots in the ground, or in pots that you want to empty? You don't have to lift bulbs unless you want to put something else in. I just put in some summer bedding and leave the bulbs.

Leave bulbs in and put in some bedding plants? sounds like a plan:p Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Tulips, unlike daffodils, like to be replanted each year. So once the leaves dye back take them out of the pots and place them in brown paper bags and store them in a dry shed. Then, in the Autumn, around October, plant them again in fresh compost in the pots and they will be happy.

Cheers
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I have an area that can be under river flood water for a few weeks of the year but it is not swampy ( i.e. fairly well drained ). The area is under grass and does well. I was wondering if it's suitable for the planting of bulbs like bluebells and daffodils. Is there any danger of the bulbs rotting because the area can be underwater? Does anyone know of a similar area that has bulbs planted and come up ok in the spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Daffodils should be OK, try a small amount to begin with?

Also, wild hyacinths (camassia) which are lovely but you won't get them easily in every garden centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Thanks for the advice, yes I think it would be a good idea to try a small area first.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I never lift my tulips and they flower really well every year.

Here are so useful tips for your bulbs
    • always put bone meal or fish blood and bone at the bottom of the planting hole and dig it in.
    • when they have finished flowering water every 2 weeks with tomato food. This will help feed the bulb
    • Never remove leaves until they are yellow
    Mark
    N Ireland

Advertisement