Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

greencard for college grads?

Options
  • 22-05-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

so i was over on an american forum for a sport i participate in and they seem to think that the lottery isnt the only way to get a greencard

they think that if you have a batchelor of science or engineering you are sought after for immigration visas into the states

anyone have any info on this? i thought id have to apply for the lotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You cannot get an immigration visa/ green card directly, but there is a working visa- H1B visa-, which means that after working for the US company for a while (3-5 years I think, not sure), they can sponsor you for a greencard. The visa is only available to highly skilled individuals, ie youusually need a Masters in a sought after category such as chemistry or engineering.

More info here:
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

silja wrote: »
    You cannot get an immigration visa/ green card directly, but there is a working visa- H1B visa-, which means that after working for the US company for a while (3-5 years I think, not sure), they can sponsor you for a greencard. The visa is only available to highly skilled individuals, ie youusually need a Masters in a sought after category such as chemistry or engineering.

More info here:
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

but you still need a sponsor right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

PeakOutput wrote: »
    but you still need a sponsor right?

Yes, initially you will need an employer to sponsor the visa and then (usually a number of years later) the employer will again be the sponsor for the greencard.

Remember it's not in an employer interests to sponsor you until you are heading towards the end of your working visa because on the visa you are tied to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Yes. that is a very conditional greencard.
    The lottery one is unconditional so to speak.

Basically it will be impossible for you. Unless you have very good contacts in a company here in the states you wont have any company willing to spend thousands on someone with no experience and just out of college to bring them here. There is a big drive for hiring americans now and even at that it is hard to find jobs at all. A job that will get you a visa and bring you over - no chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You do have twelve months from your graduation date to participate in a 1 year intern visa, training visa or the IWT visa. This is a one year visa allowing you to go to the US and work. The IWT does not require you to have work organised before you go unlike the other two but you do have thirty days from arrival to find a job. This should give you an opportunity to seek out a company who might be willing to sponsor you after your visa runs out.

However they are strict in the visa rules about your intent for going to the US on these visas, they expect you to come home after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Yeah and the job has to be related to your studies doesnt it. Cant just be any job.

Advertisement