Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Phone Call...

• 22-05-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭

Yesterday my wife got a series of strange phone calls, seeming to come from 001207 (from memory)

They asked repeatedly to speak to me and hung up immediately when they were told I wasnt there. Eventually they got to speak to me. Without introducing themselves they claimed to be ringing in response to difficulties I was having accesing the internet (who doesnt on occasions). He asked was I near my computer so he could try out a few things!!. I asked who he was and where he was calling from and he did mention a company name, and that they provided techical suppport for xxxxx but the line was so bad at my end I couldn't make out what he said. Anyway to cut the story short as soon as I started questioning him the line went dead. I haven't heard from them since.

Just sharing this in case anyone else gets a call - exercise caution!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

homer911 wrote: »
    Yesterday my wife got a series of strange phone calls, seeming to come from 001207 (from memory)

They asked repeatedly to speak to me and hung up immediately when they were told I wasnt there. Eventually they got to speak to me. Without introducing themselves they claimed to be ringing in response to difficulties I was having accesing the internet (who doesnt on occasions). He asked was I near my computer so he could try out a few things!!. I asked who he was and where he was calling from and he did mention a company name, and that they provided techical suppport for xxxxx but the line was so bad at my end I couldn't make out what he said. Anyway to cut the story short as soon as I started questioning him the line went dead. I haven't heard from them since.

Just sharing this in case anyone else gets a call - exercise caution!

Just another of the same scam phone calls. There's been quite a few threads about them already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

hi yeah my aunty got a call from a number that looks exactly like the one you have described!!do you have the full number??i think these should be reported to the garda..if i ever get a call looking for my details from someone i dont think to be legit ill be hanging up on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well known scam at this stage..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66017058#post66017058

NEVER accept ANY service or product from ANY cold caller, be it sent by email, web advert, phone call, person at door.

YOU decide if you want a product or Service and then research who to buy it off.

This applies to Gutter Cleaning or PC Health checks, or mysterious pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

got rakes of these calls, fair annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

When I worked for a mobile company in the UK there was a spate of 'junk texts' sent around. The gist of it was 'reply to this text and get free credit' They were sent by computer that uses a random number generator program. It goes through every permatation of number and send the same text. I.E. 0861234567, 0862345678 etc. They have a delevery report system or when you reply they know it's a genuine number in use and then log the number. The list is then sold to marketing companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

i.e. if the "mark" responded to our spam (s)he is gullible and this is a valuable number :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

Happened to my girlfriend last week, said they were surveying the area and noticed that broadband speeds were slow there. They got her to go to services.msc and told her to do a few things.

She opened that up but she wasn't bothered to do anything else (she can be stubborn and gets sick of computers very quickly ;)), so he was telling her to do things and she was saying she was but she wasn't.

Your man basically caught on after a while and hung up.

Guess she was just too computer illiterate to scammed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Yep, got one here too (I'm in the UK though) woman saying she had information that I was having trouble with my broadband speed, who doesn't :rolleyes: I was adamant I wasn't having any such trouble and when I asked her from where exactly she got this info she hung up!

There's a lot of it about! :(

Advertisement