Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Grant for Phd

Options
  • 22-05-2010 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Hi, I asked this on Student finances, but I reckon I might be a quicker/better response here.

I am a masters student on a maintenance grant. If I go straight to (Irish) phd, do continue with my grant, as before?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Hi, I asked this on Student finances, but I reckon I might be a quicker/better response here.

I am a masters student on a maintenance grant. If I go straight to (Irish) phd, do continue with my grant, as before?

Cheers!

In the same boat, except I got the PhD for QUB and not TCD. I rang my county council before and they told me to put in an information request in writing... Couldn't give me a straight answer.

Hey Flamed,
    I came across this through a good old google search and knowing really what to look for: http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/support_higher.doc?language=EN

Now, when you download it I direct your attention to Clause 7.7 and note this particular line:
    Grants shall not be paid to candidates who already hold a postgraduate qualification and are pursuing a second postgraduate qualification. However, notwithstanding this condition candidates who:

(i) on completion of a one year post-graduate course which has not led to the conferral of a qualification, gain admittance to the second year of a post-graduate course;

OR

(ii) already hold a postgraduate qualification and are progressing to a further postgraduate course which represents progression may be deemed eligible for grant aid.

Hope that helps, because it sure as hell gives me some confidence!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Thanks!

Has anyone on here ever done this?

El Siglo wrote: »
    Hey Flamed,
    I came across this through a good old google search and knowing really what to look for: http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/support_higher.doc?language=EN

Now, when you download it I direct your attention to Clause 7.7 and note this particular line:

Hope that helps, because it sure as hell gives me some confidence!:pac:

The next line down states:
    (ii) already hold a postgraduate qualification and are progressing to a further postgraduate course which represents progression may be deemed eligible for grant aid.

For the purposes of this clause postgraduate qualifications at Level 8 are deemed to be progression.

According to:

http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html

Level 8 is an Hons Degree and/or H.Dip.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I know a few who have qualified for fourth year grants after IRCSET ran out. Same for mlitt-phd transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

The girl who has been dealing with my county council grant since I started college told me that they will fund a total of four years post grad. They funded my masters so will do three years of my PhD starting in Sept. It's also worth remembering that if you start in jan or after they count that as a full year (jan to summer) so be careful.

The next line down states:

According to:

http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html

Level 8 is an Hons Degree and/or H.Dip.

:confused:

Yes, it's progression; MA -> PhD.

EDIT: Shit! Everyone else answered the question!:pac:

Efla, Breedie... thank you very much, I was shitting bricks for a while regarding this situation!:D

Ok, just to keep you posted. I got off the phone from my city council and they confirmed what breedie said.

The postgraduate grants extends for up to four years.

:)

Ok, just to keep you posted. I got off the phone from my city council and they confirmed what breedie said.

The postgraduate grants extends for up to four years.

:)

You're lucky, at least your county council have heard of phones. I've sent a letter asking whether I was eligible, probably won't hear back for ages. But it's good news that you're covered as well, I'm really worried about get funding at the minute.

Just out of curiousity Flamed, what county council are you with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

If you start claiming a grant in the fourth year of postgraduate study, does that count as the first year or the fourth year of a grant?
    [Not that I expect, want or could afford to take more than the one year anyway, but just asking hypothetically really].

• Advertisement

El Siglo wrote: »
    You're lucky, at least your county council have heard of phones. I've sent a letter asking whether I was eligible, probably won't hear back for ages. But it's good news that you're covered as well, I'm really worried about get funding at the minute.

Just out of curiousity Flamed, what county council are you with?

Cork City. Don't worry, because it seems that this rule is universal.
    pwd wrote: »
    If you start claiming a grant in the fourth year of postgraduate study, does that count as the first year or the fourth year of a grant?
    [Not that I expect, want or could afford to take more than the one year anyway, but just asking hypothetically really].

I asked, and she said you can take a gap, so I guess you can. But you must make a fresh app.

Cork City. Don't worry, because it seems that this rule is universal.

Cheers man!

Advertisement