Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Discrimination (Theortical Question)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Dudess wrote: »
    What?
    'what' because you don't understand my colloquialisms or 'what' because I'm not making myself clear? :)

I just don't see why the gender discrimination issue is being brought up again. We aren't trying to exclude men, we're encouraging women and giving them somewhere safe and comfortable to organise meet ups, there's nothing sinister or anti-men about it. I don't honestly se how it's hurting anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A lot of post feminist equality nazis think that single gender groups/zones/clubs are bad automatically. I think there is a lot to be said for such things as long as the reason they are created is to create a shared save space rather then to exlude and discriminate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Post feminist equality nazis"?

Fair enough g'em - I take your points, but it still doesn't sit well with me. Just my opinion, that's all. I don't see a need for advertising of this initiative as done on the Ladies' Lounge charter. I'd have thought PM's would suffice. When a particular Ladies' Lounge spin-off was started, I got an automated invite, nothing else needed to be said elsewhere.
    That's my answer to the "lads' night out" question, Silverfish - a lads' night out is generally just organised among the lads, there isn't an "official" spectacle of a bunch of them holding a sign up saying "We're organising a lads' night out - women not welcome".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Dudess wrote: »
    "Post feminist equality nazis"?

Fair enough g'em - I take your points, but it still doesn't sit well with me. Just my opinion, that's all. I don't see a need for advertising of this initiative as done on the Ladies' Lounge charter. I'd have thought PM's would suffice. When a particular Ladies' Lounge spin-off was started, I got an automated invite, nothing else needed to be said elsewhere.
    That's my answer to the "lads' night out" question, Silverfish - a lads' night out is generally just organised among the lads, there isn't an "official" spectacle of a bunch of them holding a sign up saying "We're organising a lads' night out - women not welcome".

And there's no spectacle here either, because we made the forum private, to avoid this discussion every time the ladies wanted to meet up for coffee or whatever. Arranged amongst the ladies. And I'm sure if the lads were to discover their girlfriend or whoever was demanding to come along, they'd be told 'it;s a lads night out, women aren't really welcome'.

This really is going around in circles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

which is kind of the point of having the organization behind closed doors.

Also, if we had some kind of automated invite, that would be restricting it to well established posters. Several members actually signed up to boards specifically to post in the original "find a friend" thread. This is a private forum, for women, but it is open to all women regardless of their status as well known or not on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

irishbird wrote: »
    i am not a member of the restricted forum nor do i have any interest in being a member
    Can I be a member of your "restricted" forum? Or any of the others? IMHO you're projecting some issue you have with tLL as per usual. Cool, there are forums I have no interest in, nor they with me. That's life and grand. Big deal. Move on.
    but i hear about things that are said and organised, so if i hear, i am pretty sure male boardies hear too.

boards is a small world, you would be amazed at who is related to who or friends with who:)
    And if a bloke or blokes reckoned that gatecrashing a private get together was a good plan then..... well frankly he or they would be morons.
    it just doesnt sit well on me but then i was never afraid of men
    The roll eyes smiley doesnt even begin to express my feeling on that sentence.
    see, this makes me feel uncomfortable :( what it if happens to be other female boardies not in the private forum? should the lesbians be stopped as well just in case they hit on one of the girls.
    Ehh to quote Dudess earlier, what? No seriously. Lesbians? Good god woman.
    exclusion worries me because once it starts where does it stop
    Yes I'm sure we'll be loading the trains next. A sense of proportion is sorely needed here. It really is. Again can I join any of the women only hosted super sekrit forums? No? Pardon me while I go off and have a little cry. I'm not in the arts women only forum either and that sprung from tLL. I'm a mod of the place. I have rights dammit! Not. The forum we're discussing? I've looked in once maybe twice as its got feck all to do with me. Then again with all this talk of lesbians possibly hitting on the ladies in there, maybe I should look in more.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    A lot of post feminist equality nazis think that single gender groups/zones/clubs are bad automatically. I think there is a lot to be said for such things as long as the reason they are created is to create a shared save space rather then to exlude and discriminate.
    That's the sound of nails being hit squarely on the head.

A group of users want to have a safe space to discuss meetups, hobbies and maybe making new mates. In plain language, what the hell is the harm? There's a women only arts and crafts type forum too. Again what the hell is the harm? And if you replace women with men I'd have zero interest in that either. I gather there's a red head only forum too somewhere. I'm not gonna get uppity about that either(mainly cos my red bits went grey :D)

TBH the more I read the more I see points being scored for the sake of being scored more than anything. tLL seem to garner more than the usual amount too. It is getting tiresome.

My 3 cents.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Silverfish wrote: »
    And I'm sure if the lads were to discover their girlfriend or whoever was demanding to come along, they'd be told 'it;s a lads night out, women aren't really welcome'.

if my boy said this me, you can absolutely guarantee, he would be going out minus his manhood. i have no problem with him going out with his mates, i actively encourage it, drive him to the pub etc. but i decided i wanted a drink too i would be there having a drink too regardless of whether it was a lads night and i am far from being post feminist equality nazis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wibbs wrote: »
    Good god woman.

Condescending much?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, I think this pretty much sums up this thread right now

circles.gif

I can't see much point in letting it continue just so people can score points off one another.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement