Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats up with us Corkonians?

Options
  • 22-05-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭

Just wandering what peoples thoughts are seriously as to the whole real capital / Irish by birth but Cork by the grace of god mentality we have.

People from other counties seem to think were a bit up ourselves sometimes. Ive always thought its just light hearted joking and perhaps a reaction to the whole people outside of Dublin are culchies ideaology.

Is there more to it then that though? Before the famine Cork had a population roughly equal to the combined total of the next three most populous counties. Do we suffer from some sort of nostalgia ?

As an aside I moved to west Cork some time back and they never refer to themselves as being from Cork but always West Cork, im unsure as to whether this is being upity or not, do east and north Cork do the same?

Theres been a few threads which have toched on this and been locked so lets keep it clean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Meh, as a blow in I've never really seen anyone take this seriously. It's mostly when Dub trolls come in that people feel reminded to tell them that their city is a vastly overgrown council estate. I'm from London and I can't say Cork fulfils all of my needs but it's a nice city when it comes down to it and I've made it my home.

I think most of the muppetry comes from people from both sides that rarely leave where they're from. A place shouldn't be an identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

A lot of people go to Cork and all they hear is "how great Cork is ... and how crap the place you come from is"
    Never understood it really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I've been here 5 years now and never heard much of such things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I've been here 5 years now and never heard much of such things

Lol I've been here 28 years and never heard such things either :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

It's mostly just banter. I've not lived in Cork for a number of years*, but when asked where I'm from I say North Cork. Cork is relatively big so needs a little more clarity I suppose.

*someone has the civilise the barbarians! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

tipp has north and south reg plates afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yeah that is a matter that most other (unfortunate) citizens of this country seem not to realise, Cork is a big county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

It's all a bit of banter, Cork is the biggest county in area and could quite easily be the capital of Ireland but in all honesty we wouldn't want to be,we're too laid back for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Tbh, I think it's there all right - if it wasn't, there wouldn't be such a reputation for it. :) The PROC thing was tongue in cheek from inception, but it gets taken seriously by some.
    Saipan - there was sickening support here for Roy, where critics of him would be lambasted. As if that would have been the case had another Ireland player, not from Cork, ****ed his team over like he did.
    The floods - there were floods as bad, and worse, in other parts of the country, yet all the drama was coming from Cork.

There was a study done a few years back on travelling/relocating habits of Irish people - the people least likely to leave their home town/county: Corkies. :)

That said, people who harbour a genuine disdain for anyone from Cork because of the above, are idiots (I'm obviously not referring to good-natured piss-taking, nukage suggestions :D etc).
    But when Cork people tell them they're just jealous, I cringe - they may not be one bit jealous, and it only reaffirms their viewpoint that Cork people are arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Something on here rings a bell. From my youth I remember my mother explaining how Cork was the real capital because it was the biggest county. It made sense at the time but really the same logic makes Anchorage, Alaska (pop: 279,243) the capital of the USA. The grandiosity contiunes though, look at me comparing the county to a state!

For what it's worth I'd rather Cork was seen as the little city that surprises than something puffed-up that disappoints. I think the place has a lot going for it but quiet pride would be more endearing than some of the boasting that goes on. And the latter definitely happens. It's wind-uppery for the most part but I think there are a lot of people out there who didn't get the memo as well.

Note: Yes, I know Juno is the official capital but it's a smaller city and would complicate the analogy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement