Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feed or fertilise

Options
  • 22-05-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

front lawn has some very poor patches in it after the winter. is liquid feed or general fertiliser the way to go?
    back lawn sown 6 weeks ago still patchy is it too soon to put either on it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Fertiliser is a feed. So a general lawn feed is fine. Usually these are granular rather than liquid based. If it's a new lawn I would wait with the feed for now if you added a fertiliser to the soil prior to seeding. Since it's a new lawn, don't put Feed and Weed on it since the grass is too young and may not survive. Only use a lawn feed feed for now a day or so after cutting. and do it every 2 or 3 weeks during the growing season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

go into you local coop and get a bag of 10-10-20 or the likes and spread a bit on those patches ment. a bag should cost around €12-15

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

lalorm wrote: »
    Fertiliser is a feed. So a general lawn feed is fine. Usually these are granular rather than liquid based. If it's a new lawn I would wait with the feed for now if you added a fertiliser to the soil prior to seeding. Since it's a new lawn, don't put Feed and Weed on it since the grass is too young and may not survive. Only use a lawn feed feed for now a day or so after cutting. and do it every 2 or 3 weeks during the growing season.
    thanks i have a box of miracle grow that can be used with a feeder attached to the hose that is what i meant by liquid feed although i dont actually have the feeder but might buy it if it helps spread it evenly?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

ah ok. What I use are bamboo canes. Lay them in rows about a meter apart and walk up one row and down the other and spread the fertiliser with in the Row. Then lay them out again at a 90 Degree angle and do the same again. Makes it alot more even and you won't get any patches that have too much feed and others that don't have enough! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

km79 wrote: »
    thanks i have a box of miracle grow that can be used with a feeder attached to the hose that is what i meant by liquid feed although i dont actually have the feeder but might buy it if it helps spread it evenly?
    hope you are still with us to see this
    at about 9.45 tonight liquid feed your lawn with the mericle grow, i say the time as when the sun is going down is best time, as it will dampen it very well and stay on till morning without drying out, and in a week you will see an auful difference, when cutting
    good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

thanks will do

Advertisement