Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Mould

Options
  • 22-05-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi folks I bought a few plants recently but this mould has grown on them. Anybody got any ideas?
    I want to re-pot them but there's hardly any point if the soil is "infected" or something.
    Could I take them out and rinse them all back to the roots before re-potting?
    Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers.

potpo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Is that what they call "mildew" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Strum

Thanks, but I don't think so. Maybe over-watering, or ventilation. I just don't know. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Looks like fungal growth alright... possibly because the soil/compost never dries out? You didn't say what the plants were, but for most house plants a regime that consists of a good watering followed by a thorough drying out of the soil before watering again is generally appropriate (So long as you don't overdo the drying out phase and cause the plants to wilt). A bit of direct sunlight might help as well if the plants currently don't get any, although that may be subject to the specific requirements of the plants in question.

Thanks for that. The plants are "Dracaena" and "Ficus" Both little Trees that need new pots badly but if the soil is infected with something I may just bring them back to Woodies where I bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know whether I am right or not, but I have had that happen and I've just scraped it off and put a new bit of compost on, I haven't seen it harm a plant.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks I think i'll just re-pot them now and see how it goes. Thanks again for your input. Cheers.

Advertisement