Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail

Options
  • 22-05-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

They really REALLY represent rip off Ireland. I normally drive to Dublin from Galway but on this occasion I decided to take the train to avoid traffic. BIG MISTAKE. To begin with a return ticked cost €48 and for that price one would expect a proper service? Oh no! The train was over an hour delayed on the way to Dublin. I couldn't hear why as the intercom wasn't working. On the way back I was informed there would be a stop over at Athlone. I thought ok, just get onto another train no big deal. Except there wasn't another train it was a bus transfer! If I wanted a bus I would have paid a hell of a lot less for one!!! Grrr never again will I travel with this company....

Why can't be have a reliable, reasonably priced inter-city rail service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can get single fares for €10 when you book on the internet.

If you were delayed, you are entitled to a discount. http://www.irishrail.ie/home/faq.asp?faq_id=20#20

http://www.irishrail.ie/images/pdfs/Southern Western Discount Form.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

They are not 10euro they charge 2euro for the booking charge and another 2euro for a credit card charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 unamused

Also the 10 euro tickets are the ones that leave a stupid o'clock in the morning or night otherwise it ranges from 20 to 30 euro one way (this is my experience from dublin to cork)
    however am loving the guy on the trains that organises who sits where when people didnt book tickets on my last trip back from cork instead of sleeping great amusement was had watching him march people up and down the train finding seats :D

k99_64 wrote: »
    They are not 10euro they charge 2euro for the booking charge and another 2euro for a credit card charge.
    The booking charge is only if you have an ticket already (e.g. annual ticket) and want to make a reservation. I believe it is €3.

If you buy one of the internet specials there is no booking charge.

The credit card charge doesn't apply to Laser, if that is any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

KillerKity wrote: »
    They really REALLY represent rip off Ireland. I normally drive to Dublin from Galway but on this occasion I decided to take the train to avoid traffic. BIG MISTAKE. To begin with a return ticked cost €48 and for that price one would expect a proper service? Oh no! The train was over an hour delayed on the way to Dublin. I couldn't hear why as the intercom wasn't working. On the way back I was informed there would be a stop over at Athlone. I thought ok, just get onto another train no big deal. Except there wasn't another train it was a bus transfer! If I wanted a bus I would have paid a hell of a lot less for one!!! Grrr never again will I travel with this company....

Why can't be have a reliable, reasonably priced inter-city rail service?

How is €48 return from city to city a rip-off? In comaprison to most european countries the prices of train service in Ireland are considered to be excellent value.

London to Birmingham can cost as much as £146 return.

And don't start me on unannounced delays on the UK train system :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Yeah I was shocked with the price of the trains in England.
    The food and drink on the train in Ireland is an a complete rip off. One thing that really stood out for me was a can of beer for about 5/6 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

A return from Belfast to Dublin is cheaper bought from Translink and Irish Rail, equally if booked online.

Only a few euro, but crazy that your paying more for exactly the same service. Irish Rail would probably put it down to their own costs.

A return from Belfast to Dublin is cheaper bought from Translink and Irish Rail, equally if booked online.

Only a few euro, but crazy that your paying more for exactly the same service. Irish Rail would probably put it down to their own costs.

This was brought up before and found to be false.

A 9am Belfast to dublin train is not the same as 9am Dublin to belfast. The more popular service is Dunlin to belfast in mornings, hence its priced according to demand. Price a 5pm service Dublin to Belfast & Belfast to Dublin, as Dublin to belfast at 5pm is less popular, this is cheaper on irish rail than the Translink belfast to dublin at the same time.

Standard web booked return belfast to dublin = £30
    Standard web booked return dublin belfast = €36
    Bank rate of exchange excluding commission = 1.206

91011 wrote: »
    This was brought up before and found to be false.

A 9am Belfast to dublin train is not the same as 9am Dublin to belfast. The more popular service is Dunlin to belfast in mornings, hence its priced according to demand. Price a 5pm service Dublin to Belfast & Belfast to Dublin, as Dublin to belfast at 5pm is less popular, this is cheaper on irish rail than the Translink belfast to dublin at the same time.

I've only done 1 example but;
    Both Journeys Tuesday 1st June

Belfast > Dublin - 20.10 - €18 - From Irish rail, booked online (+€3 credit card charge)
    Belfast > Dublin - 20.10 - £8.99 - From Translink, booked online.

That's the same train so no popularity arguments.

you can't book one way tickets from belfast to dublin on irish rail, so realistic comparison cannot be made.

regular daytime single belfast to dublin £13.99 June 1st
    regular daytime single dublin to belfast €18 June 1st

feck all difference

• Advertisement

you can't book one way tickets from belfast to dublin on irish rail, so realistic comparison cannot be made.

regular daytime single belfast to dublin £13.99 June 1st
    regular daytime single dublin to belfast €18 June 1st

feck all difference

Realistic Comparison?

The same train costs £9 in the north or €18 from irish rail.

You would save the difference of this by booking your trip to Belfast with Irish Rail and buying your return when you get there/online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

London to Birmingham can cost as much as £146 return.

And don't start me on unannounced delays on the UK train system :eek:

Smart people will get a sail and rail from london to dublin for £30 and get off in birmingham. It always amazes me when i see idiots buying train tickets in holyhead for £70-£80 single after paying 30 euro for a single ferry when the sail and rail from Dublin to London would have cost 38-39 euro.

Smart people will get a sail and rail from london to dublin for £30 and get off in birmingham. It always amazes me when i see idiots buying train tickets in holyhead for £70-£80 single after paying 30 euro for a single ferry when the sail and rail from Dublin to London would have cost 38-39 euro.

How does this work? Where do you get the 'sail and rail', sounds good!

Is there a reason for getting off in Birmingham?

Irish Rail, Irish Ferries or Stena.
    Is there a reason for getting off in Birmingham?
    He means for people wanting to go to Birmingham, they should pay the £30 Sail Rail ticket, not the ordinary £100+ ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

You get it at the ferryport. 36 euro for sail and rail to north wales and chester, and it increases by a euro to a max of 39 euro to anywhere in the uk. You can get the sail and rail to aberdeen from Dublin Ferryport for 39 euro if you want, amazing value. Its even cheaper from the uk side.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Victor wrote: »
    The booking charge is only if you have an ticket already (e.g. annual ticket) and want to make a reservation. I believe it is €3.

If you buy one of the internet specials there is no booking charge.

The credit card charge doesn't apply to Laser, if that is any help.

I got charged for both but dont have a ticket already

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Alwayson

Just sent this message to Irish Rail after clicking a "cheap" car hire link on their site:

I'd like to know why you are associating with the company Economy Car Hire. It's not an Irish company and I got a quote for 309 STERLING for 5-day hire of a 2-door Opel Corsa picking up in Dublin! There are far cheaper prices available from Irish hire companies such as Argus who quote me 155 EURO for the same type of car, same period of hire. The company you are partnering with is by far the most expensive online - I have tried them all - and I don't think you're doing yourselves any favours by associating with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Hi guys,
    I know it's a bit off topic but does anyone know the number for Fairview maintenance depot? i was told this is the place to ask for cctv footage?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Alwayson wrote: »
    Just sent this message to Irish Rail after clicking a "cheap" car hire link on their site:

I'd like to know why you are associating with the company Economy Car Hire. It's not an Irish company and I got a quote for 309 STERLING for 5-day hire of a 2-door Opel Corsa picking up in Dublin! There are far cheaper prices available from Irish hire companies such as Argus who quote me 155 EURO for the same type of car, same period of hire. The company you are partnering with is by far the most expensive online - I have tried them all - and I don't think you're doing yourselves any favours by associating with them.

Why did you e-mail Irish Rail? These are adverts placed by google. - The car hire company paid google to put the advert there via a word association link and google paid Irish Rail. - If you saw an advert for a product on the side of a bus and had a bad experience from the product, would you complain to Dublin Bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

Apart from the way they spitefully announce Irish place names first, then after a long pause finally follow up with English(the first language of this country), I don't have too much of a problem with Irish Rail.

€10 Cork - Dublin is chuffing good value. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

went to buy a single ticket dublin to galway yesterday and €48!!! I thought it was a mistake but nope. What a joke. Got the Citylink from outside station for €11. How can they justify these prices?? I mean one way ...

bigtuna wrote: »
    went to buy a single ticket dublin to galway yesterday and €48!!! I thought it was a mistake but nope. What a joke. Got the Citylink from outside station for €11. How can they justify these prices?? I mean one way ...

That's their standard single way price. If you booked online, it would probably have been €10.

Compare this to the single London to Birmingham walk up ticket - £68 and its a bargain.

Hi guys,
    I know it's a bit off topic but does anyone know the number for Fairview maintenance depot? i was told this is the place to ask for cctv footage?

Any help would be much appreciated!!
    I would think you need to write to them formally.

To ensure it is kept. contact the main number and http://www.irishrail.ie/contact_us/ ask them for the Fairview number.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

E2.10 on Irish rail for hot water to heat a babies bottle, he gave it to me in a cup too small to fit the bottle in and then tried to deny that he had the plastic glasses (which I needed) that they give out with cans.

I have never seen one of those E10 fares when I tried to book one.

E2.10 on Irish rail for hot water to heat a babies bottle, he gave it to me in a cup too small to fit the bottle in and then tried to deny that he had the plastic glasses (which I needed) that they give out with cans.

I have never seen one of those E10 fares when I tried to book one.

Irish rail don't offer a baby bottle warming service. What you paid for is a cup of hot water served on a train. What you used the water for is of no consequence. The way the servers stock is counted is by way of number of cups sold. - Should we all bring a tea bag with us and then get free cups of water???

If you had a cup or bowl and asked them to fill it with some hot water, then I'd guess there would have been no charge.

I didn't ask for a cup of hot water, I asked for hot water, I could have used a container of my own and I have never being charged before.

I didn't ask for a cup of hot water, I asked for hot water, I could have used a container of my own and I have never being charged before.

so Irish Rail didn't rip you off. Many times they have obliged you with a complimentary cup of hot water and then the one time the person who is just doing his job asks for money, you moan about it on public boards???

That is NOT a rip off. It may be an error or a mis judgement but NOT a rip off as it is NOT irish rail policy as per your statement that you have frequently received this service absolutely free.

btw - all catering on Irish Rail is provided by Rail Gourmet - an inetrnational operational that operates rail catering services throughout Europe.

No matter how you try and wrangle out of this E2.10 for a cup of hot water is an absolute rip off, but then again so is the vile and stinking coffee, the overpriced drinks the stale sandwiches and the rock hard buns and everything else from the trolley. Furthermore I was ripped off by a most discorteous individual who took pleasure in doing so and made me a triumphant look on every subsequent pass at his great victory over a babies hunger. Gourmet on Irish rail what a freakish contradiction in terms.

In fact Irish rail staff would be far better employed ensuring that passengers do not block the space reserved for wheelchairs with luggage than on coming on here in pursuit of the indefensible.

In fact Irish rail staff would be far better employed ensuring that passengers do not block the space reserved for wheelchairs with luggage than on coming on here in pursuit of the indefensible.

So someone has a different view than you, so they MUST work with the company:D:rolleyes:. Laughable comment and utterly stupid.

You erroneously made a complaint about Irish Rail. I corrected you.

If you have a problem in Mc Donalds in Liffey Valley do you complain about Liffey Valley itself?

And I can absolutely assure you that not only do I ahve no connection with irish rail, I don't even remember the last time I was on a train in Ireland. (20+ years ago!) - I have been on Uk trains and the service and price is appalling over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    €10 Cork - Dublin is chuffing good value. :pac:

€12 Cork to Dublin with Ryanair is much better value. :D

From my front door in Cork to Dublin city centre it takes two to two and a half hours. Much less stress, the cheap fares are available most of the time (not 1% of the time) and it's still quicker!

I will never again sit into a train from Cork to Dublin. Absolute torture-wagons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement