Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to spend the day cycling?

Options
  • 22-05-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya

I have tomorrow off and want to take advantage of the good weather, just wondering if anyone could advise a scenic route. Am planning on throwing the bike into the citylink clifden bus and hopping off along the way.

Any suggestions :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Head to Clifden (bus & bike), cycle out towards Ballyconneely on the R341 as far as Ardagh, go left before the bridge and then use the minor roads all the way back to Maam Cross and then get the bus back to Galway (check with the bus driver on the way out to Clifden for any changes to the day's timetable!)... did this last year and it was class day

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

The Oughterard-Rossaveel road has very little traffic and is in my opinion the most scenic drive/cycle relatively close to Galway. You could opt then to cycle the busy coast road back to Galway or the Casla road to Maam Cross (R336).

If that's not enough distance for you , you could also take a left on the R340 which you could follow all the way through Carna back to the N59. Or take the shortcut betweeen Derryrush and Cashel which is again a nice scenic minor road. Also the route between Cashel and Clifden along the minor roads is a great cycle. This is probably the same option (Clifden to Maam Cross) as jkforde is suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

very good advice from Burren, I've done this a few times and its definately one of the most scenic areas close to Galway. The hill is nice as well :)

Advertisement