Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corrupt music files on my External HD

• 22-05-2010 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi folks,

this is my first time posting on this particular forum...so hello to everybody. I have a problem that I hope somebody here might be able to give me some advice with.

Basically I have a 1TB external hard drive (FAT 32) that I have tons of music stored on, more music than I would ever have time to listen to. Lately, when I try to play particular files, some of them either wont play: I get a message saying: 'The file of directory is corrupt and unreadable'. Or they play for two seconds and then skip onto the next track and so on...

Another very curious thing is when I play certain tracks they turn out as Gibberish, high speed talking with high speed music playing along side it....totally weird. I know that these files played fine a few weeks back.

I tried to run CHKDSK on the drive (I use Vista 32 bit) but it would not allow me to do so. I scanned the drive for viruses and malware but no joy either. Can anybody suggest what I might possibly do, or even suggest what might have caused this?

I realise that Ill probably end up losing most of it, but just on the off chance somebody has any ideas...I would really appreciate some feedback....

Cheers....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You might try this tool (free): http://www.piriform.com/recuva/features
    It will scan the drive for anything recoverable that might be faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Paddy the Greek

Cheers for that Biggins.
    I tried that but no joy :( I wonder if anybody has any other suggestions? I at risk of losing a collosall amount of music...I know I should have backed up, Im an idiot

Can anyone help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Well recuva is the program that I have most faith in-It has never failed to find a file for me, but seeing as it isnt working for you try http://www.pctools.com/file-recover/
    It might work. Theres also the option of sending the drive away to be recovered professionally-but its mad expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I tried recuva once and it seemed to be easy to use, and free (always good), but ISTR it only works if it can recognize a filesystem. This is probably true for your disk, but there is other software, e.g. GetDataBack, R-Studio, and others, that are more advanced. Maybe you might have more luck with one of these, even if they require payment, its still probably 100x cheaper than a 'professional' data recovery company.

Thanks for the feedback guys....I'll give all of those mentioned a go. Im not too confident I'll be successful at this stage but heres hoping... Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sounds like your hard drive is beginning to fail or you have file system corruption. I dont see the point in using a file recovery program as the files are there, they are just corrupt. First you should back up the essential data from it now while you can as a precaution. Check the system event log for disk or file system related errors. What was the error chkdsk gave you?

JDxtra wrote: »
    Sounds like your hard drive is beginning to fail or you have file system corruption. I dont see the point in using a file recovery program as the files are there, they are just corrupt. First you should back up the essential data from it now while you can as a precaution. Check the system event log for disk or file system related errors. What was the error chkdsk gave you?

Hey, thanks for your feedback.
    I tried to run CHKDSK first as an admin within Windows (Vista 32 bit)...but it would not run. I then Tried it using the OS disk, no joy...no option to run CHKDSK on the CD. I finally tried it using DOS but again, it simply would not run....So I just gave up on CHKDSK alltogether.

I have a file recovery program scanning it at the moment and Im pretty confident it will do the trick....Im sure there are easier ways but so far this is the most progress I have got with it....

Hi Guys....

I happy to report that the program 'Get Data Back' resolved this issue for me ....well partially! I scanned the entire 1.5 Tb drive....It took nearly 24 hours. But basically all of the files which I was not able to open can now be copied to a new location and opened there...Brilliant software....

My new problem is how do I replace the corrupted files on the hard drive with the recovered ones? I cannot replace them to the original location using 'Get Data Back' and I am not able to delete them. I have tried using 'Unlocker' software to free them up to be deleted but no joy....Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

Have you fix it?

• Advertisement

Hi Guys....

I happy to report that the program 'Get Data Back' resolved this issue for me ....well partially! I scanned the entire 1.5 Tb drive....It took nearly 24 hours. But basically all of the files which I was not able to open can now be copied to a new location and opened there...Brilliant software....

My new problem is how do I replace the corrupted files on the hard drive with the recovered ones? I cannot replace them to the original location using 'Get Data Back' and I am not able to delete them. I have tried using 'Unlocker' software to free them up to be deleted but no joy....Any ideas?

If the files names of the restored data match, and they are in the correct sub-folder names, then it should be easy enough to write a simple copy batch script to do the job.

Myself or others here can help with that.

chin_grin wrote: »

Errr, that's for deleting files. Unless you are trying to be funny...?

If the files names of the restored data match, and they are in the correct sub-folder names, then it should be easy enough to write a simple copy batch script to do the job.

Myself or others here can help with that.

Yea I am willing to try anything that might make the job easier! Not every file is corrupt, only every third or fourth file...'Get Back Data' software allows you to copy the recovered files to a new location - My desktop in this case. Its just a matter of sifting through the results and replacing the corrupted ones....Any feedback on how to batch it over in one go would be great....Cheers for your feedback

Yea I am willing to try anything that might make the job easier! Not every file is corrupt, only every third or fourth file...'Get Back Data' software allows you to copy the recovered files to a new location - My desktop in this case. Its just a matter of sifting through the results and replacing the corrupted ones....Any feedback on how to batch it over in one go would be great....Cheers for your feedback

Do the recovered files have the exact same name as the originals? Are the recovered files all just in one folder, or are they in sub-folders that match the originals?

If so, I will send further instructions. If it's less than 100 files, you could probably do it quicker manually though.

Do the recovered files have the exact same name as the originals? Are the recovered files all just in one folder, or are they in sub-folders that match the originals?

If so, I will send further instructions. If it's less than 100 files, you could probably do it quicker manually though.

As far as I can see the organisation structure of the recovered files is the same as it was on the original HD...I reckon theres well over 100...its a 1.5tb drive and 60% of that is music

Great.

Open a command prompt.
    • Type C: [press return]
    • Type CD %homedrive%\%homepath%\Desktop\Recovered [press return]
      Note: replace the folder named Recovered with the name of your folder.
    • Type dir *.* /b /s > recovered.txt [press return]

Post or PM the file called recovered.txt which will be created in the same folder. Also, send me the EXACT path of your ORIGINAL files e.g. E:\My Music\.

Great.

Open a command prompt.
    • Type C: [press return]
    • Type CD %homedrive%\%homepath%\Desktop\Recovered [press return]
      Note: replace the folder named Recovered with the name of your folder.
    • Type dir *.* /b /s > recovered.txt [press return]

Post or PM the file called recovered.txt which will be created in the same folder. Also, send me the EXACT path of your ORIGINAL files e.g. E:\My Music\.
    Im just a newbie here so It wont allow me to PM you....I see what your getting at though......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hi Guys....

Errr, that's for deleting files. Unless you are trying to be funny...?

Nope, not in the slightest.

Advertisement