Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping to foundation maths

Options
  • 22-05-2010 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Struggling at ordinary level maths all yr got 31 in the pre. I am strongly thinking dropping down to foundation level the courses I applied for accpet foundation level thankfully. So how difficult is it to get a A1 ?:D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

To be honest, if you are getting an A1 in Foundation then you are doing the wrong level. However, some people find it easier to get an A1 in foundation than to get a pass in Ordinary, likewise for Ordinary and Honours.

Try a few past papers online and see how you get on. Chances are there is no all-Foundation class in your school (well there isn't in mine anyway, even though there are a handful of students doing foundation) so you will probably have to teacher yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

one1 wrote: »
    Struggling at ordinary level maths all yr got 31 in the pre. I am strongly thinking dropping down to foundation level the courses I applied for accpet foundation level thankfully. So how difficult is it to get a A1 ?:D

It is not as easy as people think it is. A1 isn't that easy to get in the paper as some questions are pretty tricky. Getting a B1 is very achievable. Once you don't have the attitude of "its foundation, I don't need to study for the exam" then you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Knarr

one1 wrote: »

Id base the decision on what you want to do after the leaving cert. Most college courses require a pass in ordinary maths and wont accept foundation, so in that sense a D3 in ordinary level is more useful than an A1 in foundation. I did ordinary myself having moved up from foundation in the Junior cert and got a D3. Im in my second college course now and neither would have been open to foundation level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sony0050

Don't even dare to foundation level maths..................
    31%in the pres aint that bad you've had plently of time to improve an A in foundation is like equal to a fail in ordinary!Seriously don't do it............

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Sony0050 wrote: »
    Don't even dare to foundation level maths..................
    31%in the pres aint that bad you've had plently of time to improve an A in foundation is like equal to a fail in ordinary!Seriously don't do it............

Don't listen to this poster. You already stated that foundation is ok for the course you are going to do so stick with it. It is absolutely pointless working hard for a subject that isn't that important for the future. I don't see why this person is saying ' don't dare doing fou ration ' why not? If that's what your comfortable with go for it.

I'm doing foundation maths and all my other subjects are HL. Just don't care what people say do what is nest for you.

Someone I know who did foundation maths is now in trinity college so don't be fooled into thinking you can't get into a good uni with foundation maths!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

You may not need OL maths for your undergraduate degree or what you want to do in the short term, but keep in mind that you may want to do a postgraduate later on in life for which you'll need OL maths. You'll be kicking yourself and may end up having to repeat that subject for the LC then!
    But anyway at the end of the day it's your own choice, if you really want to do it and think you'll fail maths otherwise I suppose there's nothing stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

fufureida wrote: »
    Don't listen to this poster. You already stated that foundation is ok for the course you are going to do so stick with it. It is absolutely pointless working hard for a subject that isn't that important for the future. I don't see why this person is saying ' don't dare doing fou ration ' why not? If that's what your comfortable with go for it.

I'm doing foundation maths and all my other subjects are HL. Just don't care what people say do what is nest for you.

Someone I know who did foundation maths is now in trinity college so don't be fooled into thinking you can't get into a good uni with foundation maths!!

This post should be saved and used as an aswer next time one of these threads comes up again. Fantastic post, fufureida

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Im failing OL too
    Dunno what to do. Need OL for course
    What to do!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    80% sure ill be repeating over this BS maths course
    Sorry - needed rant lol

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

unknown13 wrote: »
    This post should be saved and used as an aswer next time one of these threads comes up again. Fantastic post, fufureida

Thanks.

As for the whole what if you need pass maths for postgraduate, you cross that bridge when you get their. For now, focus on what you are doing and give maths enough attention just so you can get an honour. That's what I think is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Knarr

zam wrote: »
    You may not need OL maths for your undergraduate degree or what you want to do in the short term, but keep in mind that you may want to do a postgraduate later on in life for which you'll need OL maths. You'll be kicking yourself and may end up having to repeat that subject for the LC then!
    But anyway at the end of the day it's your own choice, if you really want to do it and think you'll fail maths otherwise I suppose there's nothing stopping you.

I never heard of anyone needing anything in their leaving cert to do a postgraduate course.They dont look at the leaving cert if someone wants to do a masters, phd or higher diploma after their undergraduate degree, they look at that persons degree classification.

• Advertisement
Advertisement