Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Klondike

Options
  • 22-05-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know the origin of this term and what it has to do with ficticious American telephone numbers? Wikipedia explains a little about the 555 prefix but not how it became known as "Klondike 5."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

The only Klondike that I ever was aware of was the card game.

No idea where its origin came from so can't help I'm afraid. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Hmm, that still doesn't explain what it has to do with phones.

"Klondike 5" is a way of saying the prefix "555," which is actually fictional, and most American shows use it to avoid accidently giving out a real number. But I can't find why the word "klondike" is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It's all down to the letters/numbers used in US advertising.

"K-L" is "55" in telephone letters, and Kl is the abbreviation for Klondike.

Apparently there were no telephone exchanges in the US that used all three "5" letters (JKL), hence "Klondike 5" for "555".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Wow, that'a obscure. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

It's all down to the letters/numbers used in US advertising.

"K-L" is "55" in telephone letters, and Kl is the abbreviation for Klondike.

Apparently there were no telephone exchanges in the US that used all three "5" letters (JKL), hence "Klondike 5" for "555".

Oh that's it. It's so obvious now! :pac::rolleyes:

Advertisement