Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW.... same price as UK!

• 22-05-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭

I just priced up 2 different specs of BMW 1 Series and was surpised to find the price is only 3% more here... meaning I could also buy the 5 year service package.

So Ireland is not so bad after all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

See this for BMW UK

It may change your mind

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/offers/homepage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Nice upgrades.. but still only put a €1000 between... given the effort of going to UK to selling my current etc... still good.

I mean I was expecting 30% difference.. or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Have you factored the 3.5% VAT difference?

Yes and VRT.

Approx €31,000 is same as €23,000 or so in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

What spec were you pricing up?

• Advertisement

robbie99 wrote: »
    What spec were you pricing up?

118SE Coupe and X1 sDrive 118D... I just used the on line price.. so you need to add delivery here in Ireland.

But key thing was that it kind of surprised me the price was so close.

|Irish Dealer Full Price|Irish Discounted|NI Dealer Full Price|coast2coastcars.co.uk
    118d SE Coupé|€31,000.00| |£22,355.00|£20,548.51
    bmw.co.uk "Current Offer"|| |-£250.00|
    List|€31,000.00||£22,105.00|£20,548.51
    Warranty|2 years|2 years|3 years|3 years
    less UK VAT (17.5%)| | |£18,812.77|£17,488.09
    €/£ spot rate|0.8692|||
    commision rate|0.007|||
    Euro| | |€21,819.49|€20,283.11
    plus Irish VAT (21%)| | |€26,401.59|€24,542.56
    OMSP (stat code 44685158)|€26,217.00|| |
    VRT rate|14%|||
    VRT |€3,670.38| |€3,670.38|€3,670.38
    Delivery|€850.00| | |
    Collection from UK mainland (est.)| | | |€330.00
    Total|€31,850.00|??|€30,071.97|€28,542.94

si_guru wrote: »
    I mean I was expecting 30% difference.. or so.

Ah, fair enough, the difference is nowhere near 30% :D. I think when sterling was at its weakest over a year ago the difference would've been around the 15% mark and TBF not even loveducatti claimed a difference that big! But still, UK is cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

I just priced up 2 different specs of BMW 1 Series and was surpised to find the price is only 3% more here... meaning I could also buy the 5 year service package.

So Ireland is not so bad after all!
    Ireland is so bad after all.Everything is more expensive including your BMW. Why? Because we accept everything the cowan cowboys give us.Dont even start me on this VRT ****e. All the Uk imports have way more spec as standard also. I got a TDI golf imported from Manchester with all mod cons etc. The golfs here are shameful in comparison. Youd be lucky to get a radio.

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Ireland is so bad after all.Everything is more expensive including your BMW. Why? Because we accept everything the cowan cowboys give us.Dont even start me on this VRT ****e. All the Uk imports have way more spec as standard also. I got a TDI golf imported from Manchester with all mod cons etc. The golfs here are shameful in comparison. Youd be lucky to get a radio.

TBF, the VW in the UK have manual air con, horrible leather interior and do not come with fog lights in the Highline range and the highline plus is not much better.(Passat)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

As you are such an expert, I'm sure you are well aware that the specification on new BMW's is exactly the same between the UK and Ireland.

In alot of cases the Irish spec on VW's is higher than that on the equivalent UK version, but I've never done a price comparison on golf's or Passat's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

|Irish Dealer Full Price|Irish Discounted|NI Dealer Full Price|coast2coastcars.co.uk
    118d SE Coupé|€31,000.00| |£22,355.00|£20,548.51
    bmw.co.uk "Current Offer"|| |-£250.00|
    List|€31,000.00||£22,105.00|£20,548.51
    Warranty|2 years|2 years|3 years|3 years
    less UK VAT (17.5%)| | |£18,812.77|£17,488.09
    €/£ spot rate|0.8692|||
    commision rate|0.007|||
    Euro| | |€21,819.49|€20,283.11
    plus Irish VAT (21%)| | |€26,401.59|€24,542.56
    OMSP (stat code 44685158)|€26,217.00|| |
    VRT rate|14%|||
    VRT |€3,670.38| |€3,670.38|€3,670.38
    Delivery|€850.00| | |
    Collection from UK mainland (est.)| | | |€330.00
    Total|€31,850.00|??|€30,071.97|€28,542.94

Don't UK dealers have delivery charges?

Also, no good comparing coast to coast prices as these are cash prices without trade in. I'd expect min €1500 discount in Ireland if I had no trade-in.

And then add in the benefit of a local garage if there's any issue with the car.

91011 wrote: »

No... in the UK the law says the price must be OTR (on the road). So if you look at car in a showroom the price in the window must be THAT car including paint, options etc..

Dont even start me on this VRT ****e.

VRT protects the 2nd hand value here.

1. if you scrapped VRT Ireland would be swamped with cars from the UK.

2. How would you replace that revenue? Higher income tax? higher VAT?

Tax is a fact of life - sorry. ;)

Also, no good comparing coast to coast prices as these are cash prices without trade in. I'd expect min €1500 discount in Ireland if I had no trade-in.

And then add in the benefit of a local garage if there's any issue with the car.

..nice speadsheet.. I did all min in two cells. Your looks good though! :)

UK price is an on the road price.

Coast 2 coast price is included because if you were buying in the UK you wouldn't be trading in your car anyway.

And the local garage will help you with your UK import! We're talking about a new bmw 1 series. With a new car, you have the entire dealer network, Europe wide, to help if there's any issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

UK price is an on the road price.

Coast 2 coast price is included because if you were buying in the UK you wouldn't be trading in your car anyway.

And the local garage will help you with your UK import! We're talking about a new bmw 1 series. With a new car, you have the entire dealer network, Europe wide, to help if there's any issue.

but any irish dealer will gi ve a cash discount too - so to be correct you need to find best cah deal from irish dealer and compare to coast to coast price.

the other comparison is better - full published irish price v full published uk price. - taking this into account, there's very little difference for the hassle of importing a car.

but any irish dealer will gi ve a cash discount too - so to be correct you need to find best cah deal from irish dealer and compare to coast to coast price.
    Absolutely, I agree with you there. You mentioned yourself that you'd expect €1,500 discount which is about 5% and I think you'd be doing very well to get that. If anyone here can come up with a substantiated discounted figure then let's use that to compare and we can also add that edvidence to this thread...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055892940

Based on €1,500 Irish cash/no trade in discount, Irish price will be €30,350. coast 2 coast price (including an estimated €330 costs for the hassle of buying in UK) is €28,543 which is 6% cheaper still.
    the other comparison is better - full published irish price v full published uk price. - taking this into account, there's very little difference for the hassle of importing a car.

Full published prices, NI works out 5.5% cheaper, without hassle of flights, ferry etc.

I'm not having a go at you, and I realise your point is that the convenience of buying locally should outweigh the hassle of distance buying, but there's been a lot of misrepresentation on boards on the price of imported cars with some claiming massive rip-off prices here while providing unsubstantiated and unachievable UK prices while others spread FUD and sometimes even claim that Ireland has the cheapest pretax prices for cars in Europe (sic.)

The claim in this thread's title unfortunately is not yet true.

there's very little difference for the hassle of importing a car.

I see it the other way around. By bringing in a car cheaper than the Irish equivalent Im saving money so if its saves me €1000 and it only takes me 6 hours to get it home and 1 hour to VRT it including getting the plates then I have saved myself €142 per hour and I get a little trip out of it and could make a weekend of it.

Go out on a Thursday and do some sightseeing, shopping, drinking or whatever takes your fancy pick up your car on Friday get it home and then you do not have to VRT it until close of business Monday.

Some people see it as hassle. I see it as an adventure and saving money is a bonus.

Berty wrote: »
    .. so if its saves me €1000

....do some sightseeing, shopping, drinking or whatever takes your fancy ...

1000Euro of drinking and shopping?? :)

• Advertisement

1000Euro of drinking and shopping?? :)

Yes better spent on myself and the OH than a dealership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭gigabit

Why?, the new car would be fully covered in any garage under warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭gigabit

118SE Coupe and X1 sDrive 118D... I just used the on line price.. so you need to add delivery here in Ireland.

But key thing was that it kind of surprised me the price was so close.

what is the x1 like, anyone here got one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

gigabit wrote: »
    Why?, the new car would be fully covered in any garage under warranty.

But you'd probably find that a locally bought car might get in to the dealer quicker than an imported motor ;)

R.O.R wrote: »
    But you'd probably find that a locally bought car might get in to the dealer quicker than an imported motor ;)

I agree.... a bit of good will goes along way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I have the 118d sdrive x1 and am very happy with it it's averaging 45mpg with mainly town driving.

Thankfully BMW service departments are run separately from their Sales and there's been enough discussion on here by owners who have imported to confirm that the Irish BMW dealers do honour the full UK warranty, are courteous, pleasant to deal with it, treat you with respect and provide great coffee :). Some might think this should be expected when they charge €180 an hour but I've never had any problem achieving a discount on parts or even the labour rate but really I think it's all down to the phone call you get from BMW Ireland a few weeks after you've needed to bring your car in to give you an opportunity to rate your experience with the dealer. Maybe this FUD has more merit for a small time dealer with a chip on their shoulder but to be fair to the Irish BMW dealers, well their service departments, and I'm speaking from actual experience, their attitude dealing with all owners including those with uk imports has been exemplary.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Like Robbie I can speak from experience that this isn't at all true...

Advertisement