Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an Irish phone in America

Options
  • 22-05-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I will be travelling to Florida next March and was wondering if I will be able to use my Irish Vodafone mobile over there. I have read that only a triband phone will work but I know people who have travelled and they said that they could text but not make calls on their irish phones, Is this the case with all phones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

depends on what model your phone is:

not sure if I have it correct but Ireland/Europe are on 1900/900 ...and USA are on 1800 (frequencies) .... most modern phones will work - reception might be dodgy....I would recommend you buy a sim card when you get over to USA - as international calls/roaming can be expensive.

might even be cheaper to buy a phone once you get over - all depends on how long you will be staying.

also .... some phone networks require that you tell them when you are travelling...otherwise they stop/block roaming/international calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Your phone needs to be tri-band for voice calls in the US, otherwise you can only send and receive texts. Also as was said international roaming needs to be enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

sbEdge wrote: »
    I will be travelling to Florida next March and was wondering if I will be able to use my Irish Vodafone mobile over there. I have read that only a triband phone will work but I know people who have travelled and they said that they could text but not make calls on their irish phones, Is this the case with all phones?

I used my Irish phone in Florida last summer and I only used it for texting, had to top up twice as it cost a fortune. Go to Walmart and buy a cheap phone to use while you're there, that's what I should've done last year and I will do next trip.

Advertisement