Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's to do in cork city?

Options
  • 22-05-2010 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

What's there to do in cork city?

Im going down for a couple of days and just wondering are there any good places to visit. Anything worth seeing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

It all depends on what kind of entertainment ur looking for? Any hints of what ur interested in? That way we can recommend u something to do what u could like actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

This thread from a while back may or may not be of use: "Cork: no shopping, no history"

You're around for longer than a day and you haven't said no to history so off the top my head the usual suspects:

Something I do myself: Fitzgerald's Park -makes for a nice walk (cross The Shakey Bridge and walk back to town on Sunday's Well Road for one or two nice views looking down on the city).

The end of your walk puts you right outside the door of The Franciscan Well. The franciscan is a brewpub with half-a-dozen beers of their own making. Too early for beer? Walk a little further to Cork Coffee Roasters Café -they roast their own coffee beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Don't forget the Butter Museum, especially if your bringing your folks!
    http://corkbutter.museum/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I didn't realise blarney castle was so close to the city. Im definately going there. And that walk by the fitzgerald's park sounds amazing. I have also heard about the lough, so have to take a trip there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Fota wildlife park is great if the weather is good, you can get the train there and back , only takes about 10 mins on the train

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Don't forget the Butter Museum, especially if your bringing your folks!
    http://corkbutter.museum/

I went in there once and felt pretty let down by it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Fota wildlife park is great if the weather is good, you can get the train there and back , only takes about 10 mins on the train

+ 1 for Fota it is well worth a trip,I'd recommend the Crawford Art Gallery which also has a fantastic café.

cork45 wrote: »
    Crawford Art Gallery [...] has a fantastic café.

Oh yeah. Seconded. Definitely a must for one of your lunches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

see Snoop Dogg at the Marquee

Snoop D-O dizzle is in the hizzle- wassup all of my Corkonian nizzles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

Try find the fastest rosd out of there:D

• Advertisement

pat58 wrote: »

Unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Unlucky.

LOL .. that one failed alright:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Yeah absolutely, especially if you've kids with you, it's such a lovely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

themonboys wrote: »

Ah you didnt embrace the buttery goodness, :P

pat58 wrote: »

Just saw you're in Clare, we really need a facepalm smiley for quick reply to fcuktard comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

themonboys wrote: »

Did you say after "I can't believe its not a real butter museum"!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

murphym7 wrote: »
    Did you say after "I can't believe its not a real butter museum"!!:D

Or I Can't Believe it's Not Better…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't get around to visiting everything yet but i will. Im moving there in a few months. Its a lovely city. Got a lovely sandwhich somewhere too, what's the name of the bread with the very thick slices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't get around to visiting everything yet but i will. Im moving there in a few months. Its a lovely city. Got a lovely sandwhich somewhere too, what's the name of the bread with the very thick slices?
    Doorstep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Yip, doorstep or maybe skull.
    And I'd guess you get the sandwich in The Whole-y Grain by Singer Corner.

• Advertisement

Ah you didnt embrace the buttery goodness, :P

I did my best to embrace the buttery goodness recently but I have to say the place dissappointed on a margarine scale. Four euro in and I was ready to leave in about 2 minutes! Given my fondness for both butter and QI, I thought I was their ideal patron. Alas, it didn't thrill me at all.

If it was free it would be cute, at the price it leaves a sour taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

FTGFOP wrote: »
    I did my best to embrace the buttery goodness recently but I have to say the place dissappointed on a margarine scale. Four euro in and I was ready to leave in about 2 minutes! Given my fondness for both butter and QI, I thought I was their ideal patron. Alas, it didn't thrill me at all.

If it was free it would be cute, at the price it leaves a sour taste.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Shandon, cilmb to the top the views are amazing, only 5 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Yermanla

if you like music check out loads of free gigs:

Trad: in the spailpín fánach south main street every night, the corner house.

Jazz: free (i think it's still free, might be €2 now) monthly jam sessions in the crane lane theatre, the crane lane (by the gpo) start late. Also thre's a great gypsy-swing band play in the pavilion live every sunday from 5.30 for free.

rock/alternative : the slate usually do free gigs (late night - 10pmish)

Advertisement