Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roaming mobile

Options
  • 22-05-2010 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭

have used my o2 phone in australia and spain before and had no problems with sending texts and making calls.but im in italy now and i cant use it,its powered up ,im getting full signal bars,but when its turned on it searches for a provider ,and when it cant find one it says emergency calls only,have mailed o2,but have to wait for them to reply,any ideas.(credit is ok too)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

horse7 wrote: »
    have used my o2 phone in australia and spain before and had no problems with sending texts and making calls.but im in italy now and i cant use it,its powered up ,im getting full signal bars,but when its turned on it searches for a provider ,and when it cant find one it says emergency calls only,have mailed o2,but have to wait for them to reply,any ideas.(credit is ok too)

Have you tried manually searching for a network? Without the make and model of your handset it's hard to tell you how to do it; for Sony Ericsson handsets it's "Settings => Connectivity => Mobile networks => New search".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭horse7

thanks for your help,picked up 2 of o2 roeming partners WIND and TIM,BUT they are forbidden to hook up to.

If you happen to be travelling with anyone with either a handset you could put your sim into or, even better, another O2 customer, try your sim in their handset and their sim in your handset and see how things go. If this still doesn't work, I'd get back on to O2 and ask them to look into the issue immediately.

thanks,its a sony ericsson k300i,i dont want to swap the sim with some one elses phone in case they loose their contact numbers ,and also i dont know them that well,from googling im guessing the networks here may have blocked a wrong IMEI nunber,i tried *#06# to get my imei number,but doesnt work on this one,i think i have it behind the battery,but it doesnt say IMEI,have mailed back to O2.

O2 say i have a 8k sim and a 33k one would be better,any idea what there talking about.

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    O2 say i have a 8k sim and a 33k one would be better,any idea what there talking about.

Sim card capacity has increased over the years, so an 8K sim can hold a certain amount of contacts, while a 16K sim card can hold even more, and so on and so forth.

With that said, 32K and 64K sim cards are the newest sim cards available in Ireland, as far as I'm aware, so it would generally be better to use a newer sim card to ensure full handset and network compatibility; which would appear to include roaming too. Once you get back to Ireland, O2 should be able to carry out a sim change free of charge. While this doesn't resolve your current issue while roaming in Italy, it should prevent you from experiencing any further roaming issues in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

I would think it could also be a handset issue as a sim issue.

What handset is it ? - Is it set to 2G only or 3G only ?

O2 should be able to contact their roaming partner and find out if you are even getting to the registering stage.

its not a 3G one,and o2 havent offered to conntact their roaming partners.i could pick the roaming partners up on my phone in italy,but was forbidden to connect.am home now and got a new sim,so anyone going to europe with an old sim change it now,thanks for all replies.

have finally got it sorted out.eventhough o2 said i had roaming,they finally admitted they had mistakenly turned my roaming off.you think they could have resolved this a lot sooner.(may 2010).apart from being told to buy a new handset,i could have spent a fortune and still had no roaming.

Advertisement