Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the greatest football manager of all time.......

• 22-05-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I certainly think so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

No.

Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Certainly unquestionably the best in the world right now. Love the man so much.

He'll take the league off Barca as well if/when he goes to Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Jose the Great -- not the greatest:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He's good but he annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah now, seriously. ALL TIME.
    You're obviously about 10 or 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

All time? Not yet.

At the moment? Very probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

How much has he spent at Inter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Yeah obviously he is....since Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankly, Bobby Robson, Bob Paisley, Kenny Dalglish, Matt Busby were never quite up to his level. Dear dear me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

When he retires we may judge...he's not done too bad so far ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

McPhailMot.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Archimedes wrote: »
    No.

Just no.

Maybe.

Just maybe.

davyjose wrote: »
    Maybe.

Just maybe.

I didn't say he couldn't be someday. I just said - right now - no. A big, fat, emphatic NO.

Since he started managing Porto 8 seasons ago, and he has SIX leagues, and TWO champions leagues.

That is fcuking incredible, and if he continues that way, he'll easily be the greatest manager of all time.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I didn't say he couldn't be someday. I just said - right now - no. A big, fat, emphatic NO.

That's what i was saying too, tbh. it seemed like you were writing him off though.

Yeah obviously he is....since Bobby Robson, Kenny Dalglish, were never quite up to his level. Dear dear me.

Agreed.

What will happen him at Real Madrid? He almost can't help but play attractive football with the players they have, he cannot stifle them.

That's what i was saying too, tbh. it seemed like you were writing him off though.

Oh God no. I love José. He's incredible. Hate to replay what the lads on Sky say, but he really is just so efficient. He's more than capable of forging a career that could one day be referred to as the best of all time, but to say he is already after tonight is reactionary in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Too much ego. Would hate him to be manager of man utd. He'd want busby's statue ripped down and replaced with one of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Too much ego. Would hate him to be manager of man utd. He'd want busby's statue ripped down and replaced with one of him

Don't worry he'd never go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I certainly think so.

irish forum full of english club supporting fans.

this will not end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

He's the best in the world now. But no way is he the greatest of all time.

JPA wrote: »
    What will happen him at Real Madrid? He almost can't help but play attractive football with the players they have, he cannot stifle them.

No but he'll teach them to defend properly and organise them properly. They've already been more efficent than spectacular this season, Jose will just do what Pellegrino did but better. It'll be both frightening and brilliant all at once. He and Ronaldo will go down as the most reviled pairing in footballing history, much to my amusement.

flahavaj wrote: »
    No but he'll teach them to defend properly and organise them properly. They've already been more efficent than spectacular this season, Jose will just do what Pellegrino did but better. It'll be both frightening and brilliant all at once. He and Ronaldo will go down as the most reviled pairing in footballing history, much to my amusement.

We'll see, but I don't know if he can make the team play with style. It'll be more a case of the players doing their natural stuff within a well organised team and hope, for his sake, it is attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

He'll take the league off Barca as well if/when he goes to Madrid.

Sigh, it'll be a shame if he does, because instead of the players (the same players who amassed 96 points this year, 3 less than Barca), it'll be 95% Jose who'll be revered. Potentially one of the greatest, he's a long way away from being even up there with people like SAF imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

IMO Mourinho is the best manager of the best 10 years, including Capello, Pat Dolan, Ferguson, you name him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

FFS. He's not the greatest of all time. Sky Sports want his babies but let him develop his career some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

eZe^ wrote: »
    Sigh, it'll be a shame if he does, because instead of the players (the same players who amassed 96 points this year, 3 less than Barca), it'll be 95% Jose who'll be revered. Potentially one of the greatest, he's a long way away from being even up there with people like SAF imo.

Well he beat United in 03/04 CL with an average Porto side, and proved himself in 3 leagues, including 2 which are considered pinnacle European Leagues. He might not have the trophies SAF has yet, but IMO he is a better manager than Ferguson was at his age, if not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would actually love him to get stuck into that farcical circus at Madrid. He's probably the only character that could do it and get away with it because of the force of his personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He will be. He only has to go into international positions now. He has done everything at club level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

CorkMan wrote: »
    IMO Mourinho is the best manager of the best 10 years, including Capello, Pat Dolan, Ferguson, you name him.

I would agree, but he's no Brian Clough - start with nothing and become Champions of Europe when it meant something. He has a ways to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Since he started managing Porto 8 seasons ago, and he has SIX leagues, and TWO champions leagues.

That is fcuking incredible, and if he continues that way, he'll easily be the greatest manager of all time.

They are the key words in that sentence, IF he continues that way. Ferguson has decades of success, Mourinho has not reached the end of his first yet. Then people like Capello, Paisley etc have achieved so much as well.

Jose needs to keep up the success and importantly, to do it at one team for a sustained period. He needs a dynasty to seal his legacy. Success in international football wouldn't go amiss either if he is to be the greatest.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

They are the key words in that sentence, IF he continues that way. Ferguson has decades of success, Mourinho has not reached the end of his first yet. Then people like Capello, Paisley etc have achieved so much as well.

Jose needs to keep up the success and importantly, to do it at one team for a sustained period. He needs a dynasty to seal his legacy. Success in international football wouldn't go amiss either if he is to be the greatest.

:confused:

Mourinho already has a better European record than Ferguson. 2 Champions Leagues, both of which with sides who are not big European clubs. He also has a Uefa Cup to his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I certainly think so.

Really. Born in 1992 were we? Seriously, i am a born and bred, been to actual real live football matches and thankfully, in my lifetime CL finals, Liverpool fan. Even I can admit to the fact that the following few managers acheived more, in real terms, than Moneybags Mourinho has done:

Matt Busby
    Rinus Michels
    Bill Shankly
    Ernst Happel
    Bob Paisley
    Brian Clough
    Alex Ferguson
    Arrigo Sacchi
    Jock Stein
    Johan Cryuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He is the best out there now and there is a very good chance that he will become one of the best ever. He has managed to combine all the skills that a manager needs to succeed with the ability to choose the right club at the right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie God Fergie Fergie Fergie Fergie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Yeah obviously he is....since Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankly, Bobby Robson, Bob Paisley, Kenny Dalglish, Matt Busby were never quite up to his level. Dear dear me.

You need to expand your football horizons beyond the boundaries of the United Kingdom tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Lets not forget about Lippi either. Took Juventus to 3 champions league finals in a row, won a world cup with an aging italian team & then guided a even worse italian team to the 2010 world cup with relative ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would actually love him to get stuck into that farcical circus at Madrid. He's probably the only character that could do it and get away with it because of the force of his personality.

Strange, this is the very reason that I want Rafa to stay at Liverpool. I rate him as a manager but it is his ability to cope with everything else that impresses me the most.

At the moment - Yes.

Of all time - No, just no.

Ridiculous question OP tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

DB10 wrote: »
    :confused:

Mourinho already has a better European record than Ferguson. 2 Champions Leagues, both of which with sides who are not big European clubs. He also has a Uefa Cup to his name.

What about Fergie's Cup Winners Cup victory with Aberdeen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Really. Born in 1992 were we? Seriously, i am a born and bred, been to actual real live football matches and thankfully, in my lifetime CL finals, Liverpool fan. Even I can admit to the fact that the following few managers acheived more, in real terms, than Moneybags Mourinho has done:

Matt Busby
    Rinus Michels
    Bill Shankly
    Ernst Happel
    Bob Paisley
    Brian Clough
    Alex Ferguson
    Arrigo Sacchi
    Jock Stein
    Johan Cryuff

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Helenio Herrera, the last manager to deliver a European Cup to Inter.

This is a potential thread of the year :D

It will be absolutely fascinating. In my wildest dreams, he wins la Liga next year with Madrid, wins the CL the following year and then takes over at United with Fergie's blessing the next year.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Helenio Herrera, the last manager to deliver a European Cup to Inter.

Good point, missed him off the list. I think we are on the same wave length in general though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

It was actually Jose Mourinho who did that. :)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This is a potential thread of the year :D

It just needs someone to disagree with jesus thats gre's point about Rafa and BOOM we have 50+ pages before the weekend is out...:pac:

It will be absolutely fascinating. In my wildest dreams, he wins la Liga next year with Madrid, wins the CL the following year and then takes over at United with Fergie's blessing the next year.

Well according to rumours, Fergie is all set to become madrid manager THIS year as long as he can bring Rooney with him. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Matt Busby
    Rinus Michels
    Bill Shankly
    Ernst Happel
    Bob Paisley
    Brian Clough
    Alex Ferguson
    Arrigo Sacchi
    Jock Stein
    Johan Cryuff

Yeah because Mourinho spent loads when he won Porto the CL? :rolleyes:

Bull**** excuse, from the same folks who hail the likes of Ferguson who wastes 90m on the likes of Berbatov,Veron,Anderson and Nani.

Yet he spends nothing does he? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is no doubt he is great but not the greatest

tdv123 wrote: »
    It was actually Jose Mourinho who did that. :)

PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC PEDANTIC

• Advertisement
Advertisement