Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the greatest football manager of all time.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Well according to rumours, Fergie is all set to become madrid manager THIS year as long as he can bring Rooney with him. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

LOUL linkies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

DB10 wrote: »
    :confused:

Mourinho already has a better European record than Ferguson. 2 Champions Leagues, both of which with sides who are not big European clubs. He also has a Uefa Cup to his name.

Ferguson has 2 Champions League, 2 Cup Winners Cups, losing finalist in one other Champions league. Beat Real Madrid with Aberdeen to win one of those Cup Winners Cups, certainly not a big European Club. 4-3 to Fergie.

Lists based purely on trophies won can be misleading. Brian Clough achieved success at 2 clubs but then had a long period without success. Liverpool's great era had 4 different managers in charge, who gets the credit? Some say Shankly, some say Paisley. Paisley had more trophies, Shankly started the era. How do you decide what makes the greatest?

Anyway my point was that Ferguson has achieved almost sustained success since the early 1980s. The early years at United were the only gaps, but managing United then was a different kettle of fish. Basically my point is that Ferguson has built a mini empire at United, Jose has just built 2-3 years of success at 3 teams who were already relatively successful.

Don't get me wrong, Mourinho is a great manager. But to be the greatest, he needs to do more. Sustained long-term success is needed.

flahavaj wrote: »
    the following year and then takes over at United with Fergie's blessing the next year.

No, just no !!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Schoolboy concept.Roy of the Rovers did more for Football.:D

Is this an U-18's thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Its different comparing Bill Shankly and that to Mourinho different times and football has changed an awful lot since. Back then you picked 11 lads and sent them out their was not an awful lot of tactics used. Less players were needed as well as they were made of tougher stuff.

Yes I would say Jose is the greatest football manager of all time, my opinion obviously.
    As for the best Championship Manager of all time, I know a chap that got Basingstoke to win the Champions League, I reckon he was the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Can't see him ever managing United, considering most United fans made it their part time job to hate the guy while he's at Chelsea. He joins clubs to be adored by the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

DB10 wrote: »
    Yeah because Mourinho spent loads when he won Porto the CL? :rolleyes:

Bull**** excuse, from the same folks who hail the likes of Ferguson who wastes 90m on the likes of Berbatov,Veron,Anderson and Nani.

Yet he spends nothing does he? :confused:

Excuse me? I am not a utd fan. The facts are, Mourinho has won european cups with clubs who have spent umpteen millions on players and wages. Go research the amount of money spent on porto players and their wages, before you avoid the hundreds of millions spent at Chelsea or the fact that the porto players followed mourinho to Chelsea of course. Also, how much had Inter spent in the previous two seasons prior to Mourinho? Was it 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

flahavaj wrote: »
    It will be absolutely fascinating. In my wildest dreams, he wins la Liga next year with Madrid, wins the CL the following year and then takes over at United with Fergie's blessing the next year.

I was thinking perhaps that's part of his attraction to Madrid because they're not known for sticking with managers for long terms and he seems keen on going to England again. Maybe his thought process is 1 year in Madrid (2 tops) and then see what offers are available in England.
    Lukker wrote:
    Can't see him ever managing United, considering most United fans made it their part time job to hate the guy while he's at Chelsea. He joins clubs to be adored by the fans.

He himself has fuelled those rumours:
    "I would consider going to Manchester United but United have to consider if they want me to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson," he said. "If they do, then of course.

"I like England, where the fans are very passionate and make the game a beautiful occasion with such an incredible atmosphere."

Personally I'm not as sold on the idea of Mourinho at United as much as other fans are, but his record can't be disputed and in terms of realistic successors to Fergie there are none better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Pat Dolan for the inter job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Lukker- wrote: »

He's already been fluttering his eyelids in United's direction for quite sometime. He was like a pussycat last year when they met in the CL.

I think his ego would rather enjoy the challenge of succeeding Fergie. Where most manager's woud be intimidated at taking over from an institution of over quarter of a decade, Jose would f*cking relish it.

As for United fans, rest assured the almost guarantee of shiny silver things come the end of the season that Jose brings, would have them eating out of his hands in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pffft, Ian Holloway knows a thing or two about this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

You need to expand your football horizons beyond the boundaries of the United Kingdom tbh.

Yeah I could but they were the ones that first came to mind....I just usually think of the ones closest to home. I coulda been typing forever tbh.

Arrigo Sachi and Johan Cryuff would be good additions to the list too, as someone else posted. And Beckenbauer wasnt half bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What a boost he would be to La Liga though. The Barca/Real games alone will take on massive significance if Jose is at Madrid whilst Fabregas and Villa are lining out for Barca. Mouth-watering stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

According to Caroline Cheese and Sid Lowe's Twitter accounts Mou has said he's joining Real in the press conference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

What a boost he would be to La Liga though. The Barca/Real games alone will take on massive significance if Jose is at Madrid whilst Fabregas and Villa are lining out for Barca. Mouth-watering stuff.

Mourinho is nowhere nearly as good a midfielder as Fabregas!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

According to Caroline Cheese and Sid Lowe's Twitter accounts Mou has said he's joining Real in the press conference
    He said on Sky that he was almost certain to join Real, but he also said that was why he hasn't spoken to Moratti or the players, because they could persuade him to stay. I expect him to go but still hope he stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

He's a tactical genious, and I reckon he will become the greatest football manager of all time in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

sing it with me folks:

"theres only one Steven Staunton!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think he could be the greatest manager of all time. However, he's not there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I certainly think so.
    God, otherwise known as Brian Clough, would have something to say about that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Stupid trying to compare Mourinho with the likes of Clough and Paisley. Totally different era.

There's clearly no great love for the special one among alot of posters here, but you simply can't argue with his record. It's phenomenal.

Portugese League
    Portugese Cup
    Uefa Cup

Portugese League
    Champions League

Premier League
    League Cup

Premier League

FA Cup
    League Cup

Serie A

Serie A
    Coppa Italia
    Chanpions League

By any standards that's outstanding.

And his last 136 home league games?

P---W---D---L
    136--125--11--0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Lets get a grip here, Mourinho has won 2 champions leagues. And he has won the league in Portugal,England and Italy.

The greatest manager of all time. Even Mourinho with his ego would not claim that.

Sir Matt Busby, 4 English League Titles, Rebuilt Manchester United after the Munich Air Disaster to win the League FA cup and European Cup. Need I say more.

Brian Clough, Won the English League with Derby County and Nottingham Forest, winning the league with 2 different times has only been done by Herbert Chapman and Kenny Daglish, and won the european cup twice with Forest. Oul big ead was not only a better manager but also a better character than Mourinho.

Sir Alex.......... Enough Said.

Thats just 3 examples and I'm sure if you want to bring out Chapman,Revie,Shankly,Paisley,Daglish,Stein etc. etc. you could think of more.

Mourinho is a good manager but has a huge distance to prove he is even in the top ten managers let alone the best manager of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Stupid trying to compare Mourinho with the likes of Clough and Paisley. Totally different era.

There's clearly no great love for the special one among alot of posters here, but you simply can't argue with his record. It's phenomenal.

Well it is a thread asking if he is the greatest manager of all time. So comparing him to managers from other eras seems like fair game. You can still compare achievements and rate them relative to the era they were achieved in. As long as the era the manager worked in is taken into account, I would not call it stupid. Though obviously there can be no definitive answer either.

I agree he has a tremendous record as do most posters here. But the OP saying he is the greatest of all time is a completely different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

personally i'd think he'd need to be a bit braver in his choice of club he manages if he should even be considered the greatest of all time. would like to see him at a club not on the verge of winning the league or virtually expected to win the league. he is definately a great manager. but not near the best of all time, not even the best in the world now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Its different comparing Bill Shankly and that to Mourinho different times and football has changed an awful lot since. Back then you picked 11 lads and sent them out their was not an awful lot of tactics used. Less players were needed as well as they were made of tougher stuff.

yes but when shankly took over at liverpool they were bottom of the old division 2.

some here are trying to convince others that inter are a small team or something, inter had won 3 consecutive italian titles prior to jose joining. inter have actually gone backwards in the league since jose joined in terms of points gained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be fair, he took Porto to the CL. That's not exactly taking a big club further, Porto have been nowhere since then.

I think after Madrid, he'll take on a longer term project.

PHB wrote: »
    To be fair, he took Porto to the CL. That's not exactly taking a big club further, Porto have been nowhere since then.

His achievements with Porto are one of the things that make him a great manager but he'll need to add more strings to his bow than that before he can be considered the greatest of all time. I have question marks over his ability to build and manage something long term-i think the siege mentality and attitude he instills in his teams are not sustainable over very long periods nor is his ego. Just my opinion.

PHB wrote: »

unfair to say they have got nowhere, porto have reached the knockout stages of the CL 5 times in the 6 years since jose left, twice losing by a single goal on agg to utd and chelsea plus they have won the league 4 times in the 6 years since his departure

• Advertisement

despite losing their best players after he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I have question marks over his ability to build and manage something long term-i think the siege mentality and attitude he instills in his teams are not sustainable over very long periods nor is his ego. Just my opinion.

He's a fantastic man manager, miles ahead of the man we have at the helm at Liverpool. He makes players play for him. Why it should matter how he would do over a long period at a club is quiet pointless when he can go from club to club and win them the biggest honors possible says it all. That's his strong point, winning. A pretty admirable strong point indeed, and one that I don't mind him basing his ego on.

i ain't disputing he's an excellent man manager, or a born winner, but that's not wat the thread is about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Why are people giving such weight to his acheivements at Porto? They were not no hopers before he turned up - he certainly didn't take them from nowhere.

They are always in the mix for titles in Portugal as shown since...
    FC Porto is an internationally lauded team, with a national record of six international titles, becoming European and World Champions twice each in the 1987 and 2004 seasons. In 1987, FC Porto also gained the UEFA Supercup (another first for Portugal) and, in 2004, it brought Portugal's first UEFA Champions League trophy, making FC Porto the most successful club internationally in Portugal. In 1987, FC Porto became one of a few teams in the World to hold in possession three major international titles simultaneously (the only one in Portugal). Domestically they hold the best record of five titles in a row, having won the Portuguese Liga 24 times. Other titles won by the club include the Portuguese Cup 19 times and Portuguese Supercup 16 times (58 national titles). (Wiki)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

But you can't have it both ways, people are saying Porto have achieved a lot since he left and Chelsea are hardly struggling. But then say Shankly is great as he made the team, the team went on to win just as much under Paisley but its still said that Shankly did where as with Jose the team is good enough anyway? I know its an extreme case as Shankly built the team from nothing but if you look at the others I am sure its equally true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

if jose bounces around from club to club say madrid, utd , barca, maybe ac milan for arguements sake wins a few leagues and a couple of european cups along the way, never really settles but just wins things, will people say he's the best then or will people say that the players were already at the club they were gonna win somethin regardless if he was the manager?

would he the best of all time then cos of his achievements or will people just say he never built a team/ club i.e set foundations for future success like ferguson did and win somethin from that to be considered as "the best"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The greatest manager of all time is just a crazy statement but the best manager as of right now - yes, he is the best. If your team wanted a pure results based faction there is no better manager in the world. His results stand up againt anyones, to win a UEFA Cup/CL with Porto and to win an unprecented treble with Inter plus the EPL victories with Chelsea when Man U/Arsenal were the dominant forces, what can u say about the guy. He is the best manager in the world right now and no one can question that. He is great entertainment off the field but his teams wreck my head and he is totally up his own arse but ya as of now he can triumph ugly. As someone said if he is manager of your club, he is the special one but if not you cant wait to see him eat his words. For those feelings so widespread he is the best manager in the world today. He may win ugly but hey his results are all that matters to him - he is a genius of a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Bit like asking is Messi the greatest player ever.

Way too fcuking early to be asking stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

CoalBucket wrote: »

Thats just 3 examples and I'm sure if you want to bring out Chapman,Revie,Shankly,Paisley,Daglish,Stein etc. etc. you could think of more.

Yet another who should expand his football horizons beyond the shores of the UK.

Lads, where are these notions of requirements to be a great manager coming from?

He didn't build a team.
    He's always had money to spend.
    He takes over clubs on the verge of success.

How about the man has won trophies in 3 separate leagues, and European trophies while managing in two of them? How many of the British managers mentioned here can say that?

How about he has built a rapport and team spirit at every club he's managed which is second to none? His players would walk through plate glass windows for him.

So he spends money: Real and City spent half a billion this year, what did they win?

Managers, like players, should be judged on the totality of their careers, and only then if they are judged in the context of the time and circumstances they worked in.

And lads, can you stop embarrassing yourselves by mentioning the likes of Kenny Dalglish in a list of the world's great managers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Good manager Mourinho.
    Still rate Happel higher.
    Happel won with Feyenoord and HSV, lost another final with Club Brugge.

Mourinho couldnt win it with Chelsea with all the money available to him. Actually, Grant did better than him with Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Love Mourinho ever since he was at Chelsea. Arrogance is absolutely brilliant in people who can back it up.

But he's not the greatest of all time.

I've spoken to enough Liverpool fans to know that Rafa is the greatest manager, nay, HUMAN, who has ever lived ;)

Columbia wrote: »

I've spoken to enough Liverpool fans to know that Rafa is the greatest manager, nay, HUMAN, who has ever lived ;)

No silly, that's David Moyes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

So in summary. Hes a great manager but not the greatest ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anwser is no. Lets see him take a risk and get a lower division side into the CL knockout stages (not even win it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

He's definitely a bit special alright, but wait until his career is over to discuss his achievements and whether they make him the best ever. At the moment he is up there but going to Madrid should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Was he the Porto manager when they won the Uefa, before the CL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Yeah.

And lads, can you stop embarrassing yourselves by mentioning the likes of Kenny Dalglish in a list of the world's great managers?

dalglish was a great manager, he is the still only one of 3 managers to lead two different clubs to the league title. alex ferguson didn't win any title under dalglishs watch at liverpool which says alot and had it not been for the european ban i suspect liverpool would have won at least 2 more european titles under dalglishs reign

for me that liverpool team 87-88 were the finest english footballing team i have seen, dalglish after selling his main striker (rush) bought in barnes, beardsley, houghton and aldridge with the money

forest were second in the table going into that match, i haven't seen as big a gap between first and second since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

How about the man has won trophies in 3 separate leagues, and European trophies while managing in two of them? How many of the British managers mentioned here can say that?

Sir Alex Ferguson, with Aberdeen has won 3 Scottish Titles, 4 scottish cups, scottish league cup, a Uefa Cup and a European Super Cup.
    With Man Utd. he has won 11 Premier League titles, 5 FA Cups, 4 League cups, 2 Champions Leagues, a Cup Winners Cup, a European Super Cup, An Intercontinental Cup and World Club Chamionship. Including a treble and 2 doubles and a hatrick of League Titles.

Do you honestly believe that Mourinho is a better Manager than Ferguson ?

Sir Bobby Robson, won 2 league titles in Holland with PSV, won 2 league titles in Portugal with Porto. He has won the Cup Winners Cup with Barcelona as well as a the spanish cup and spanish super cup. He also won the Uefa cup with Ipswich. And brought England to a world cup semi final.

Louis Van Gaal, yes he is dutch, but he has also won titles in different Countries. 3 dutch league titles, a Uefa Cup, a Champions League Winner and Runner Up with Ajax as well as 4 cups and an intercontental cup.
    2 League Championships with Barcelona and a spanish cup.
    He won another dutch league title with AZ. He has also won a league title with Bayern Munich and a German Cup.
    How about he has built a rapport and team spirit at every club he's managed which is second to none? His players would walk through plate glass windows for him.
    Sky sports news or The Sun ?

Managers, like players, should be judged on the totality of their careers, and only then if they are judged in the context of the time and circumstances they worked in.

Exactly and to suggest Mourinho is the greatest manager of all time is a joke. Yes he is a good Manager but has along way to go to even suggest he is worthy of that title. Football was not invented in 2000.

Sir Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Maybe it's just me but If Mourinho continues the way he is and wins more trophies in a lot of different countries he'd have to be considered the best ever. All the British managers being racked off only had an amazing achievement with one or two teams. The fact that Mourinho is going around different countries and adapting his style to the way football is played in that country is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement