Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the greatest football manager of all time.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Correction to my earlier post. His record of last 136 home games is won 111 drew 25 lost 0.

Anyway, he certainly has a bit to go to emulate Ferguson, a manager he has always looked up to and the man he'd clearly love to emulate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ferguson took years to turn the biggest most powerful club in the UK into winners.

Mourinho has won leagues in three different countries and already has two Champion's league titles with two different clubs, one of them being Porto which is incredible in its own right.

Its not really good to compare Mourinho with a manager who has remained with one club for so long.

Alex Ferguson can never be considered the best manager in the world, he would have had to win a Premier League/La Liga/Serie A title at the very least with another club to be in contention for such an honour.

Doing what he has done at one of the biggest clubs in the world is a remarkable achievement but it doesn't compare with the multi club achievements of Mourinho, Capello, Trappatoni, Hitzfeld and I suppose Lippi gets in there having won the both EC/CL and World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

CoalBucket wrote: »

Sir Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager of all time.

LOL, now that is a joke!

Fergy had a terrible start to his Utd career and was on the brink of being sacked.

During the 90s, Utd were the richest/certainly one of the richest clubs in the world and consequently a lot of their achievements were effectively bought. Compare how much Wenger spent at Arsenal during the same period as Ferguson and you will soon realise how heavily United & Ferguson relied on money to achieve success.

Total spends 1996-2009

Manchester United = 387,200,000 spend 254,550,000 sales, net spend 132,650,000 with 8 titles equals = 16,581,250 cost per Premiership title.

Arsenal = 269,940,000 spend 237,574,000 sales, net spend 32,366,000 with 3 titles, equals 10,788,667 cost per title gained

Also, AF has a questionable man-management style, as proven with a number of different bust-ups with players (eg. David Beckham, Roy Keane, Jaap Stam, etc).

And finally, Ferguson has made some terrible signings during his tenure at United (Taibi, Veron, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, to name but a few).

Now I'm expecting this thread to run 50 pages :D

LOL, now that is a joke!
    Why is it a joke? Personally I don't consider him the best ever because of what I've explained but he is certainly in contention for that honour.
    Fergy had a terrible start to his Utd career and was on the brink of being sacked.
    This is true.
    During the 90s, Utd were the richest/certainly one of the richest clubs in the world and consequently a lot of their achievements were effectively bought. Compare how much Wenger spent at Arsenal during the same period as Ferguson and you will soon realise how heavily United & Ferguson relied on money to achieve success.
    This is so bad. Giggs, Scholes, Neville x 2, Beckham and Nicky Butt had a major impact at United and none of them cost United anything. And he made some super signings too at very little cost to the club such as Irwin and Cantona.
    Wenger's side might play lovely football but he certainly is not worthy of even an afterthought when talking about the greatest ever managers.
    Total spends 1996-2009
    They started winning titles in 1993.
    Manchester United = 387,200,000 spend 254,550,000 sales, net spend 132,650,000 with 8 titles equals = 16,581,250 cost per Premiership title.

Arsenal = 269,940,000 spend 237,574,000 sales, net spend 32,366,000 with 3 titles, equals 10,788,667 cost per title gained
    Why on earth are you comparing Arsenal to United? Surely some club that has won two Champion's Leagues and a similar number of titles would be more relevant, no?
    Also, AF has a questionable man-management style, as proven with a number of different bust-ups with players (eg. David Beckham, Roy Keane, Jaap Stam, etc).
    He got the best out of those players too.
    And finally, Ferguson has made some terrible signings during his tenure at United (Taibi, Veron, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, to name but a few).
    What manager hasn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Mourinho dose have a better trophy to year ratio than ferguson aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

LOL, now that is a joke!

Name a better one

Yes Fergie took time to build Utd. He won his first major trophy after 4 years. He has continued to win trophy after trophy from then. It should be a lesson to clubs who sack their managers and can't understand why they are not successful.

Man Utd. have always invested big in players but have also produced through their youth system. The successful teams have always added to their squads especially after winning trophies. Wenger has built some great footballing teams but they have also not won a trophy in the last 6 years. I'm sure Arsenal supporters look at the balance sheet with great pride.

Alex Ferguson is the Manager of Manchester United and no player is bigger than the club. Do you honestly think that any manager who has managed a club for nearly 25 years will not have to discipline players and sell players if they step out of line. How many players have stayed with Utd. in Fergusons time eg. Giggs, Scholes,Neville,Brown. Even taking the players you used as an example Beckham was at the club from age 16 and Keane for 12 years. His man management is terrible !!

He has also made the odd good signing Rooney ,Ronaldo ,Keane ,Bruce ,Pallister,Schmichel,Cantona,McClair,Hughes,Solskjaer,Johnson,Berg,Cole,Yorke,
    Van Nistlerooy, Ferdinand, Vidic,Evra, Kanchelskis,Irwin,Van der Sar,Sheringham etc. etc. etc. to name but a few.

That bit where your arm bends is your elbow and what you are sitting on is your arse. You obviously can't tell the difference between the two.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ferguson took years to turn the biggest most powerful club in the UK into winners.

And have you considered how low a base he had to start from? United were a joke when he took over, a million miles from the big powerful club they are now.
    Alex Ferguson can never be considered the best manager in the world, he would have had to win a Premier League/La Liga/Serie A title at the very least with another club to be in contention for such an honour.

You do realise that Ferguson won back-to-back Scottish titles with Aberdeen, breaking the Celtic-Rangers stranglehold, and led them to a European Cup Winners Cup success beating Real Madrid in the final? Aberdeen for god's sake! I think it's fair to say that Ferguson would have won titles anywhere he went.
    Doing what he has done at one of the biggest clubs in the world is a remarkable achievement but it doesn't compare with the multi club achievements of Mourinho, Capello, Trappatoni, Hitzfeld and I suppose Lippi gets in there having won the both EC/CL and World Cup

The managers you mention have all done great things, including Mourinho. But I don't think you're acknowledging the magnitude of what Ferguson has done at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sir Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager of all time of Man Utd.

This is at least approaching the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I don't believe either Ferguson or Mourinho deserve the title but I'd rate Jose as a better Tactican and Coach but not a better manager until Mourinho stays at a club and repeatedly suceeds I wouldn't call him a better manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

He has also made the odd good signing Rooney ,Ronaldo ,Keane ,Bruce ,Pallister,Schmichel,Cantona,McClair,Hughes,Solskjaer,Johnson,Berg,Cole,Yorke,
    Van Nistlerooy, Ferdinand, Vidic,Evra, Kanchelskis,Irwin,Van der Sar,Sheringham etc. etc. etc. to name but a few.

That bit where your arm bends is your elbow and what you are sitting on is your arse. You obviously can't tell the difference between the two.

Outbidding the competition doesnt make you a great manager. Just needs a big wallet.

Not saying Ferguson is useless but for me what makes a great manager is winning big prices with clubs you wouldnt expect to win.
    Like Happel.

And thanks for anatomy lessons.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

inforfun wrote: »
    Outbidding the competition doesnt make you a great manager. Just needs a big wallet.
    I agree but the point was to show Ferguson has made a far greater number of good signings as opposed to bad.
    And thanks for anatomy lessons.. :pac:

You're welcome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Not saying Ferguson is useless but for me what makes a great manager is winning big prices with clubs you wouldnt expect to win.
    Like Happel.

like Aberdeen?

The amount of bull**** in this thread is just laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Thread is so full of fail.

José is good, could be the greatest, who knows. Not right know.

People saying Alex Ferguson wasn't the best because he only managed in the Premiership? First of all he won in Europe with Aberdeen ffs. Second, the premiership is one of the toughest leagues in the world. Put your bitterness and bias away for one second.

Fergie took a mediocre team in 1986, put a bit of work in, and the made one of the greatest teams ever to play. Can José do that? Time will tell. He packed his bags as soon as Porto won the CL.

Inter and Chelsea were already decent teams when he came to them. Winning trophies is certainly a good achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

The fact this has turned into Fergie vs Mourinho is laughable I feel.

I rate Cruyff as an all time great manager because he has had such a huge influence on Football and in an 11 year management career took home 10 trophies with Ajax and Barca playing good football.

As a manager Johan Cruyff won the European Cup (1992), the European Cup Winners Cup (1989), four Spanish Championships (1991, '92, '93, '94), and the Spanish Cup (1992) with Barcelona, and the European Cup Winners Cup (1987) and two Dutch Cups (1986, 1987) with Ajax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

peabutler wrote: »
    The fact this has turned into Fergie vs Mourinho is laughable I feel.

Look at the thread title. Many people feel Fergie is the best, with good reason. Not that hard to see is it?

aidan24326 wrote: »
    And have you considered how low a base he had to start from? United were a joke when he took over, a million miles from the big powerful club they are now.

United were the richest club in England when he took over. They were just a couple of months removed from having finished runners-up in the league.
    United fans were success starved but that was down to bad management from previous managers. They always had the players that were good enough to compete but never the managment since Busby.
    You do realise that Ferguson won back-to-back Scottish titles with Aberdeen, breaking the Celtic-Rangers stranglehold, and led them to a European Cup Winners Cup success beating Real Madrid in the final? Aberdeen for god's sake! I think it's fair to say that Ferguson would have won titles anywhere he went.
    I am well aware of what he did with Aberdeen but they were a big club in Scotland for many, many years and its not nearly the big deal that some make it out to be, remember the Cup Winners Cup never had the top teams in it, just the winners of the domestic cups.
    He also inherited a very good young side at Aberdeen who almost won the league the year before he took over under Billy McNeill who left to take the Celtic job.
    The managers you mention have all done great things, including Mourinho. But I don't think you're acknowledging the magnitude of what Ferguson has done at United.
    What Ferguson did at United is remarkable and I've said that but still they were by far the biggest club in the UK, basically they should always have been winning titles. While Ferguson achieved more than you would expect from most managers, I think that there a number of managers that would have had huge success, maybe not as much as what Ferguson has achieved, but there were so many better managers out there than the list of questionable ones they put in charge after Busby moved upstairs.

I can understand how United fans will rate Ferguson as the best ever because they have been so successful with him in charge after the club went through such a miserable period. Imo though United should always have been winning titles but bad managers don't win things and thats what the problem at United was for so long.

I'm not taking anything away from what Ferguson has done in his career but I just feel that managers who have won the EC/CL with more than one club or have won domestic leagues in two of the three biggest leagues have achieved something even more special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

We can't judge Mourinho until he retires or is at least close to the retirement age. If however, he has the same continued success he has been having up to this point, he will be greater than anyone that has come before him imo.

I dislike him as a person, but he is a remarkable manager.

Looks like it's only 2 managers in the running for the best of all time then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't think Mourinho is anywherer near the greatest Manager of all time not yet anyway. Hid did ok with Chelsea but stropped when the really big money signings stopped and didn't achieve very much with them there after. He has never build a really successful team from the gound up and stuck with them.

I watched the game last night and he got his tactics spot on. sat back and hit on the break, bayern played into his hands too with everything being channelled through Robben, Stop robben and you stopped bayern, it wasn't a great game or a great win TBH.

Mourinho is a good manager no doubt but he needs to build a couple of successful teams of his own to challenge the truly great managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The Muppet wrote: »
    I don't think Mourinho is anywherer near the greatest Manager of all time not yet anyway. Hid did ok with Chelsea but stropped when the really big money signings stopped and didn't achieve very much with them there after.

What the hell are you on about, he won 6 trophies in 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

lol at all the 'real' fans on their high horses. I'm not even that much of a fan of mourinho but he must have more trophies in his first 8 years than any other manager ever did in their first 10? That is success.

I don't think it's the same achievement to do really well in the lower leagues as a manager because you're up against other teams and managers made up of people who couldn't cut it in the top leagues. He has managed at the highest level in three different countries and done better than any manager I can think of in such a short space of time.

The only question is whether he can maintain this type of success for the rest of career, and judging by how consistent he's been so far, I think he will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

lol at all the 'real' fans on their high horses. I'm not even that much of a fan of mourinho but he must have more trophies in his first 8 years than any other manager ever did in their first 10? That is success.

I don't think it's the same achievement to do really well in the lower leagues as a manager because you're up against other teams and managers made up of people who couldn't cut it in the top leagues. He has managed at the highest level in three different countries and done better than any manager I can think of in such a short space of time.

The only question is whether he can maintain this type of success for the rest of career, and judging by how consistent he's been so far, I think he will.

He will leave Real in 3 years time, with 3 champion leagues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I was going to bite the Fergie bullet but won't, plenty have summed up his great career since the last time I mentioned him here! The one thing I would add for Ferguson is that he has spanned so many different eras, something which is a hallmark of a great manager. He had success in the 14 players per squad days and he has it in the 40 per squad days.

But basically, I still feel that this is a pointless argument. There is no single criteria for deciding who the greatest of all time is. You could maybe try and list the best 20 of all time, but even that would be arbitrary and leaving out some great managers. You basically have to just say Jose has been very successful but still has to match the achievements of other managers.

You can't compare what Ferguson did at United with what Mourinho has achieved in this decade. Same thing applies to managing Real Madrid in the 50s, Inter in 60s, Ajax in the 70s etc. They are different eras with different challenges.

Is there really any harm in saying that Mourinho is a great manager, much like many that have gone before him and the many that will follow after him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Paisey won 18 major trophies in 9 years.
    never thought i'd see it beaten...

i think people forget that fergie spent big all through his united stewardship...

3.75m on Keane was a revord buy then for a defender.
    staam @ 10.5m was a record..
    rio @ 30m wasn a record.
    ruud @ 18.5..
    Seba @ 30
    [EMAIL="berba@30"]berba@30[/EMAIL]...

^^i think they're correctfigures^^

so to say josé buys success is harsh.

also in fergie's first 6 years@ united what did he win?
    what did paisley win?
    josé?

imo..

best managers of all time are...

Paisley...
    José....
    Fergie....
    lippi..
    hitzfeld..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

to clarify the above....

anyone that wins 2 major trophies a year over a sustained period i.e .>5yrs imo is considered a great manager.

anyone who does it for a decade is the best of all time....so far.

if josé wins the treble @ Real i don't think anyone could argue his status as the best ever???

especially in this day and age of advanced fitness level's etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

of all time? pfft...

right now, well yes, i do think so to be honest. in terms of motivating his team, setting up his team to win, and getting the absolute best out of each player, especially ones that people haven't necessarily considered top class, he has to be considered the best right now.

that's not blowing smoke up his arse, that's just how i see it really. a treble for Inter, including their first Champions League for 45 years. he won Chelsea their titles after 50 years. he won everything he could with Porto.

the facts just speak for themselves i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Jose is very effective with established and proven footballers but IMHO his style of management is not directly good for the development of football,particularly at club level.Obviously other teams will naturally develop methods to counter his approach.However,I do not think football fans would welcome a return to the safe defensive style that bored the public in the post World Cup66 decades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

What about Rinus Michels? Surely what he acheived was an incredible feat at both club and international level
    Made Ajax the best team in Europe, playing tactically extraordinary football
    Rejuvenated FC Barcelona after the worst spell in their history
    Took Holland to the World Cup Final in 1974,playing some of the best football ever seen
    Made a comeback and won Euro 1988 with the best team of the 1980's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

rossie1977 wrote: »
    dalglish was a great manager, he is the still only one of 3 managers to lead two different clubs to the league title. alex ferguson didn't win any title under dalglishs watch at liverpool which says alot and had it not been for the european ban i suspect liverpool would have won at least 2 more european titles under dalglishs reign

Impressive, but still nowhere near enough to be considered one of the very best in the world.
    Do you honestly believe that Mourinho is a better Manager than Ferguson ?

I don't believe I have said at any point that Mourinho is.

I take issue with a lot of the ill-founded objections to the suggestion that he can be considered the best.
    Louis Van Gaal, yes he is dutch, but he has also won titles in different Countries. 3 dutch league titles, a Uefa Cup, a Champions League Winner and Runner Up with Ajax as well as 4 cups and an intercontental cup.
    2 League Championships with Barcelona and a spanish cup.
    He won another dutch league title with AZ. He has also won a league title with Bayern Munich and a German Cup.

See, football is played elsewhere...
    Sky sports news or The Sun ?

Neither. Try Frank Lampard vis the Guardian:
    I've got more respect for José Mourinho than for any other manager I've worked with because of what he did for me. I want to win the game, but it's not like I want to get one over on him. I just want to go through to the last eight. If you'd asked me at the start of the season who I'd want to win the European Cup if it wasn't going to be us, I'd have been happy to see José win it. He was great for me and I'm still close to him."

"He gave me self-belief," the midfielder says. "He carried that aura around with him. It's very obvious that he believes in himself as a manager, and as a man, but he had this way of transmitting that confidence to his players. He just tried to make me believe in the player I could be, and helped me get to where I wanted to be. It was sad losing someone like that who you respect, but what he gave me stays with me. I'm a better player and a better person for having worked with him.

"The reason he's been a successful manager everywhere he's been is because of the atmosphere he creates in the dressing room by getting close to his players, working with them, respecting them. All of us who worked with him had that. He creates a real spirit, a family atmosphere, and he gets that extra 10% out of his teams by doing that. That's why you'll find the players who worked with him will talk about the times he was with us with such fondness.

Or Didier Drogba in his autobiography (recounted by Simon Kuper in a Financial Times article):
    The handsome Portuguese is a great professional, who gives his players pages of notes on every opposing team, even tiny Scunthorpe. Moreover, he is psychic. “On the bench I’ve heard him describe what would happen in an almost surgical way,” writes Drogba. “Sometimes this was almost disquieting. As if he could see the future.” Late in last year’s FA Cup final, an exhausted Drogba hears Mourinho calling to him from the bench: “Continue. You’ll score. Stay concentrated.” Banal as this sounds, Drogba is inspired. He scores. Like a horse whisperer with horses, Mourinho knows how to talk to footballers. Afterwards Drogba hunts him down in the stadium’s catacombs, and they cry in each other’s arms.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is it ever mentioned the role Mourinhos linguistic skills play in his management? Most managers could not move around Europe and have such instant results without having a settling in period while they learn the language.
    Fluent English, Italian, Spanish, French and Portuguese means he can communicate fully with most players as soon as he arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

flahavaj wrote: »
    Certainly unquestionably the best in the world right now. Love the man so much.

He'll take the league off Barca as well if/when he goes to Madrid.

Let's bloody well hope so !!!!

And yes Genius of a manager, super tactician, but greatest of all time ??

SAF has won 3 European cups and 11(?) league titles ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone have a clip or a link to the full story of when he was Porto manager, where...

apparently, before an away match against Benfica, a club he left after managing them for just a few games, the crowd was absolutely baying for his blood. 5 minutes before kick-off, he comes out does a tour of the pitch, taking in all the vitriol, then goes and leads his Porto team out for the game.

i feel slow on the uptake but is this true? because it sounds epic.

the_monkey wrote: »

SAF has won 3 European cups
    He has won 2 EC/CL, and then two Cup winner's Cups. So you trying to lump them all in together is wrong and so is the total you come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

SlickRic wrote: »
    anyone have a clip or a link to the full story of when he was Porto manager, where...

apparently, before an away match against Benfica, a club he left after managing them for just a few games, the crowd was absolutely baying for his blood. 5 minutes before kick-off, he comes out does a tour of the pitch, taking in all the vitriol, then goes and leads his Porto team out for the game.

i feel slow on the uptake but is this true? because it sounds epic.

Thats up there with Graham Souness doing his flag planting thing in Turkey :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Not the greatest of all time, but his record at, what age is he now, 46/47 is just sensational.

He is going the right way to be considered the greatest of all time, the more he acheives and he willacheive more will help his legacy.

If Real Madrid decide to employ Jose they know what they are getting, a manger with a proven record and years of winning wherever he went, I think he will win it all with Madrid, maybe not in his first season but certainly in 3 years.

I would have him back at Chelsea in a heartbeat, I rate Carlo very highly, a brillant manger Carlo is but Jose has the X-factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gavredking wrote: »
    , I rate Carlo very highly, a brillant manger Carlo is but Jose has the X-factor.

Perhaps with his post-match (and pre-match come to that) press conferences and comments but not with the style of football.

Effective, yes - X-factor absolutely not.

JPA wrote: »
    Is it ever mentioned the role Mourinhos linguistic skills play in his management? Most managers could not move around Europe and have such instant results without having a settling in period while they learn the language.
    Fluent English, Italian, Spanish, French and Portuguese means he can communicate fully with most players as soon as he arrives.

That's a good point. It always baffles me when a club appoint a manager who barely speaks a word of the local language. How the hell is he supposed to speak to the players?

Mourinho's style of football may not be always pretty to watch but his supreme confidence obviously rubs off on his players, and giving players self-belief is a significant part of the job. For any team to be successful you first have to give them that unshakeable confidence that winners always have, and Mourinho seems to be a genius at that.

I certainly don't subscribe to the idea that he's the greatest ever, because it's difficult to compare managers across different eras, and his career has a good way to go yet, but if he does go to Madrid (as seems likely), who would bet against them winning both La Ligue and the Champions Leage over the next 2-3 years? For the most part they have the players already, and with his tactical and defensive-organising abilites you could almost put your house on it. And there's not many managers around right now that you'd say that about.

And there's no point in saying that he's bought success, as no team wins anything nowadays without spending money. It's what you do with the money that counts, and how you motivate and handle the players when you have them.

It doesn't hurt either that he only goes to the richer clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It doesn't hurt either that he only goes to the richer clubs

I wouldn't see Inter as particularly rich compared to the likes of other European clubs. Also, Porto were hardly a rich club when they won the Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Lemlin wrote: »
    I wouldn't see Inter as particularly rich compared to the likes of other European clubs. Also, Porto were hardly a rich club when they won the Champions League.

Massimo Moratti has being ploughing millions upon millions since the late 80's/early 90's into making Inter a force in Italy and Europe. He is particularly rich.

Lemlin wrote: »

Porto made his reputation but was still among the richest in Portugal, then he took the richest club in its league

Chelsea - backed by a billionaire
    Inter - backed by a billionaire
    R Madrid - World's biggest club

I am not disputing the guy's qualities, but it's a bigger challenge to take for example

Aston Villa
    Lazio
    Atletico Madrid

and make them Champions of Europe. Managing Clubs Like Inter, R Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Man U, etc, to success has to be easier than taking Notts Forrest all the way. I think if you want to be considered among the greatest you have to have done something great with limited resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The greatest of all-time is debatable and an endless argument but most people would agree he is the best and most-sought after manager in the world today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

greendom wrote: »
    Perhaps with his post-match (and pre-match come to that) press conferences and comments but not with the style of football.

Effective, yes - X-factor absolutely not.

I don't know about you but I think success is the only thing a manager should be judged on when judging his managerial capabilities. He most certainly shown he has the X-Factor so far.

Why does he never acknowledge Porto when talking about his career eg when he says he has 2 families, in Stamford Bridge and the San Siro, he wants to complete the treble of League titles in England, Italy and Spain. He never talks of Porto or Portugal and he is Portuguese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Guy definitely has a special relationship with his players , how many managers do you see doing this when they leave a club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Warper wrote: »
    Why does he never acknowledge Porto when talking about his career eg when he says he has 2 families, in Stamford Bridge and the San Siro, he wants to complete the treble of League titles in England, Italy and Spain. He never talks of Porto or Portugal and he is Portuguese.

Yeah I heard that quote at the weekend about having a house in Chelsea and Milan and now Madrid will be his third.

WHAT ABOUT THE CLUB THAT GAVE YOU THE PLATFORM FOR YOU SUCCESS!!!! :mad:

But seeing as he has won the league in Portugal, England and Italy I would like to see him win the league in Spain. I think he will only stay for the duration of his contract (unless Perez releases him!) and then look for another challenge.

I think he should then go to Bayern Munich and win the Bundesliga. Then he should go to Lyon and win Ligue 1.

That would be all the top leagues in Europe covered. After that he should become an international manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

magma69 wrote: »
    I don't know about you but I think success is the only thing a manager should be judged on when judging his managerial capabilities. He most certainly shown he has the X-Factor so far.

Well, its all about definitons isn't it - and to me the X-Factor is that little bit of magic, something special, football as a spectacle. His teams have never really demonstrated that. They are crushingly effective yes and admirable in the way they can make the most potent of teams seem impotent. That is great and he has done brilliantly well, but his teams don't display what I would call the X-FActor. The X factor to me was those 1st 30 minutes at the Emirates where Barcelona showed the World, what a beautiful game football could be.

Now personally he may well have the X-Factor, the twinkle in his eye, clever press conferences etc etc but his teams certainly don't. He's still relatively young though managerially speaking, so that could change I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Why was he crying?

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    Why was he crying?

Mourinho told him Balotelli was Italian.

Advertisement