Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the greatest football manager of all time.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Bunch of big babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Well, the Special One certainly won tonight's battle! :D

I predicted Jose's rise to dominance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

7a8457809521bd85d7a9cf50c6dfdbaf_large

I know it was a bad decision, but poor poor Fergie.

Fergie looks a bit angry tonight, even more than usual!:D

Well done Jose Mourinho.

He wone the battle with Mr Ferrguson last night to prove conclusively that he is now better manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

His team looked devoid of ideas until they got the 11 v 10 advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Fergie vs Mourinho

Fergie
    Played 16
    Won 2
    Lost 7
    Drew 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Well done Jose Mourinho.

He wone the battle with Mr Ferrguson last night to prove conclusively that he is now better manager.

If you believe that i can only presume you started watching the game after the red card.

NIMAN wrote: »
    His team looked devoid of ideas until they got the 11 v 10 advantage.

Jose made a good change straight away and recognised Utd would struggle with the extra body in CM and brought on Modric for the nearly killed Arbeloa, who scored after about 10 mins of coming on.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    If you believe that i can only presume you started watching the game after the red card.

Watched the full match of both legs. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Watched the full match of both legs. :cool:

Well you would have noticed until the red card United were in front and Madrid were creating nothing. The red card changed the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

GavRedKing wrote: »

Jose made a good change straight away and recognised Utd would struggle with the extra body in CM and brought on Modric for the nearly killed Arbeloa, who scored after about 10 mins of coming on.

In fairness Gav without Nani being our ball carrier from Real Madrid attacks Arbeloa was effectively going to be another right midfielder. It was a good change to make but it was fairly obvious.

But Real Madrid were poor over the two legs. Especially Xabi Alonso who was useless for a man of his talent. I don't think Mourinho picked the right team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jose is the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Probably a better place to post....

One person to go way down in my books last night was Jose Mourinho.

Jeez the ass licking was cringeworthy and its so bleeding obvious he wants the UTD job after Fergie.No problem with that but talk about going out on a limb.

Didn't think he was like that at all, and if the Chelsea fans think he is going back to the Bridge then I'm sorry but not by the sounds of his brown tonguing last night.

Madrid fans must be so proud of their manger.

Leiva wrote: »

Jeez the ass licking was cringeworthy and its so bleeding obvious he wants the UTD job after Fergie.No problem with that but talk about going out on a limb.

Didn't think he was like that at all, and if the Chelsea fans think he is going back to the Bridge then I'm sorry but not by the sounds of his brown tonguing last night.

De Ja vu?

efb wrote: »
    De Ja vu?

Nah other place just got closed and this thread is probably a better place to discuss the man rather than in a match thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I thought he was calling as it was, united were the better team

I thought he was being the master of mind games. He said he's not returning to Chelsea. His comments prob annoyed UEFA UND and Madrid but he didn't say anything wrong or offensive to get punished.

efb wrote: »
    I thought he was being the master of mind games. He said he's not returning to Chelsea. His comments prob annoyed UEFA UND and Madrid but he didn't say anything wrong or offensive to get punished.

Mind games me bollíx. He was brown nosing !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

In fairness Gav without Nani being our ball carrier from Real Madrid attacks Arbeloa was effectively going to be another right midfielder. It was a good change to make but it was fairly obvious.

But Real Madrid were poor over the two legs. Especially Xabi Alonso who was useless for a man of his talent. I don't think Mourinho picked the right team.

I thought Alonso was very good in the 1st leg, poor last night though.
    The red card turned the tie, in fairness to Jose, he made a change immediately which further aided Madrid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lost respect for Jose? Since when did some of ye have respect for him in first place?

Get out of the yard will ye:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Definitely up there with the very best of them but made a tool of himself last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Milkers wrote: »
    Definitely up there with the very best of them but made a tool of himself last night.

By winning and then playing mind games?!
    The only ones who made tools of themselves were Fergie, Rio and the rest of the team in that order!

And here he is telling Utd to "man up"

"If anyone can cry, I am the first," he said. "Because my history is not playing against ten men, it is playing with ten men. Playing with ten in the semi-finals, not in the last 16. The best team lost tonight, but we must also say that these things happen in football."

By winning and then playing mind games?!

If you call camping up someone's ass "mind games" then would hate to see what
    he does as a proper wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Is it brown nosing or brown nosing Fergie that the problem.

What he said was accurate and true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Where does it say he said he wasnt going to Chelsea?
    because all I can find is this

Asked whether his future in Spain depended on the United tie, he said: "I have no idea and I am not concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Why do you care if he was? Why would Mourinho showing a lot of respect for the better team and another manager that was getting the better of him annoy you? What's it got to do with you?

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Is it brown nosing or brown nosing Fergie that the problem.

What he said was accurate and true
    Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Why do you care if he was? Why would Mourinho showing a lot of respect for the better team and another manager that was getting the better of him annoy you? What's it got to do with you?

I'm not on about Fergie specifically or the brief interview he gave which was just one thing in a whole arse licking excercise.

I just seen a different side to him last night that I didn't think existed and which was disappointing.

It stunk of a man knowing not to ruin his chances for his next job.
    Obviously he knows his time at Madrid is ending very soon.
    It showed him up to be a bit of a social chameleon.

He went OTT but with the brown nosing.

Like where was the pompous git Mourinho?
    The Mourinho who would punch the air in delight and passion?
    The Mourihno who would hush the booing in the crowd?

No, we got a manger who knew not to upset and said before the game I won't be running around cause I have matured.
    He also went over to Fergie with his hand over the mouth to obviously tell of his surprise at the red card, moments after it happened - like give me a fücking break.

It was all a bit obvious to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mourinho is normally pretty honest and accurate in interviews. I remember a few weeks ago when he praised Granada after they beat Real and lauded their efforts. I remember against Osasuna when they drew 0-0 and they had lots of chances and he felt his side should have scored one but admitted it is always very hard to score against them.

Those were two pretty accurate statements and last nights was similar I think. Before United had a man sent off they were ahead and they had went and got a draw in Bernabeu in the first leg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah but, so what?

It's going to be THE biggest job that ever became available in world football once the position becomes vacant, and if he wants the job more power to him.

The fact that it's gotten you people like you so much is a bonus.

Or maybe he is just being honest.

You never know.

It's going to be THE biggest job that ever became available in world football once the position becomes vacant, and if he wants the job more power to him.

The fact that it's gotten you people like you so much is a bonus.

Never said otherwise and fair play if he wants it.

But go out and be happy to beat the team in front of you,and don't change your complete persona cause you're afraid you will step on a few toes of your potential future employers.

It will be intereteting to see if this "new Mourinho" continues . I doubt it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I look forward to "Leiva's Mou Weekly".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

At this stage I'm starting to think he says all this stuff to wind up the Madrid fans and higher-ups. I also wonder if he's doing it as a "prove me wrong" type of motivation for the Real players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Mourinho is very good friends with Fergie and he's always praising him (or licking arse if you want to be cynical) in the press. How have people only noticed this last night for the first time? It wasn't a 'new Mourinho' at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

No his teams use way too much dishonesty, diving, cheating, time wasting etc etc. He's very successful but it ain't what you do it's the way that you do it. It's a shame because he's obviously so good strategically and tactically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I think it's a case that Mouriniho has seen what's gone on at Chelsea with Rafa and he's made the decision not to have a dig at United because he doesn't want that kind of rubbish if he ever goes for the job.

Not a bad idea but I think the reason we all love him is because of his arrogance and pomp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

If it came to a straight decision between City and United i believe he would choose City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I think he would go for Utd. A team with greater prestige & history, would suit his ego. The challenge of taking over from Fergusson would also appeal to him. it would give him the opportunity to win a couple of premier leagues and european cups in the shadow of Fergusson. Further laying claim to his self title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There is no debate in my mind, Fergie is the greatest manager of all time. Mourinho has a limited timeframe of impact on a team, and once his "plan A" man management starts to wane, he hits the road. Fergie, on the other hand, has the flexibility to maintain a consistent motivational force on players.

I don't like some of Mourinho's tactics, but I don't like how Fergie treats match officials. I think to be successful in any discipline, it's very hard to also be completely likeable in every facet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think his ego (not necessarily in a bad way at all) would dictate that in a straight choice, it'd be Manchester Utd.

to be the man who succeeds Ferguson?

the biggest ask in world football?

he'd relish it.

if he can handle the dressing room war at Real Madrid, and survive, looking like he could win a cup double, then I reckon he's about the only one who has the talent, as well as backbone, to be able to handle the expectations and comparisons that will be put upon whoever is next in the Utd hotseat.

as i say, he'd relish the entire thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Neil3030 wrote: »
    There is no debate in my mind, Fergie is the greatest manager of all time. Mourinho has a limited timeframe of impact on a team, and once his "plan A" man management starts to wane, he hits the road. Fergie, on the other hand, has the flexibility to maintain a consistent motivational force on players.

I don't like some of Mourinho's tactics, but I don't like how Fergie treats match officials. I think to be successful in any discipline, it's very hard to also be completely likeable in every facet.

Very true imo. The only football manager that I can think of during my time following football that managed to combine great success with close to being completely likeable was Bob Paisley.

Different era of course with regards to the media, but you would be hard pushed to find negative comments about the man from ex players, ex managers, supporters who remember his run as manager, pundits, media sources etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Ferguson is an excellent manager (his domestic record is outstanding), but I can't agree that he is the greatest manager of all time.

Only 2 Champion Leagues wins in 22yrs is a poor record when you consider the teams/players/finances at his disposal in that time.

Mourinho (won Championships in Eng/Spa/Ita and 2 CL's) and Del Bosque (2 CL's, WC, Euro's) are two of the modern managers that I'd easily put ahead of him.

Ferguson is an excellent manager (his domestic record is outstanding), but I can't agree that he is the greatest manager of all time.

Only 2 Champion Leagues wins in 22yrs is a poor record when you consider the teams/players/finances at his disposal in that time.

Mourinho (won Championships in Eng/Spa/Ita and 2 CL's) and Del Bosque (2 CL's, WC, Euro's) are two of the modern managers that I'd easily put ahead of him.

Are you forgetting his time with Porto and the UEFA cup and domestic cups he won there?

I wouldnt say Del Bosque and Jose are easily ahead of Fergie but they're certainly right up there with him in a very elite group, I'd throw Ancelotti in that group as well.

In last 20 years only Barcelona and Real Madrid have won more Cl then United. Both on 3. United have 2.

Real and Barca have had far more quality at their disposal too when it comes to star players.

The last team to win 2 in a row was Milan in 1990.

I think Ferguson should have maybe 1 more CL, but no more really.

I don't think you can say any manager is the greatest of all time.

Just like you cant say same for player.

Different eras and so many aspects as to what is at peoples disposal then and now.

Vittorio Pozzo is only manager to win 2 World Cups, but don't see many mention him.

There will never be right answer to those type of questions.

Are you forgetting his time with Porto and the UEFA cup and domestic cups he won there?
    No, just didn't need to list everything that they won.
    I wouldnt say Del Bosque and Jose are easily ahead of Fergie but they're certainly right up there with him in a very elite group, I'd throw Ancelotti in that group as well.
    I'd put their continental achievements above Ferguson, who I just think hasn't done as well as other could have in those 22yrs. Plus time is on Mourinho's side to win more CL's, and Del Bosque could win the next WC.
    Ancelotti possibly also belongs up there. Capello has an excellent record as well.

In last 20 years only Barcelona and Real Madrid have won more Cl then United. Both on 3. United have 2.
    I was comparing managers, not the clubs.

I was comparing managers, not the clubs.

Does not matter. The CL requires more then good players. He got it tactically wrong few times, but with bit of luck could easily have won more.

But not everyone will agree I guess.

Vittorio Pozzo is only manager to win 2 World Cups, but don't see many mention him.
    I was trying to use managers that are still coaching, but there are a lot of names that could be include in this discussion.
    And yeah, it's a really tough question to answer :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement