Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've a couple of them already (sub-25 5k and sub-2 half), but I'm in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Wow I would love to achieve these times.

I am (tentatively) putting myself in for this.

I need a challenge for 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I've a couple of them already (sub-25 5k and sub-2 half), but I'm in :)

ahh, but I think the trick is that we get them ALL in 2011... ;)

Thursday
    No running again today, but I did walk to the shops and back, made a snowman (or snow thing...) and spend about 40 minutes throwing snowballs. That has to count for something!? :D
    (sure it was great fun anyway)

Snow... it's a love / hate thing! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Emer911 wrote: »
    I was just looking at D'pop's Big 8 Challenge post, but as I'm no where near the times they're quoting I'm thinking about setting my own goals around a similar theme.

Coming off a 04:24 marathon, 25+ min 5K and 54 min 10K this year, the really slow girlie times they were looking at look about the right level of challenge for me.

1 mile - 6 mins
    3k - 12 mins
    5k - 25 mins
    5miles - 40 mins
    10k - 50 mins
    10miles - 80 mins
    Half Marathon - 2 hours
    Marathon - 4 hours

Anyone want to join me in this?! :D

Hmm those times might maybe be achievable for me, or at least a target to work towards so I'm in! I read the Big 8 thread - I know they were saying the times were 'soft' but it's all relative :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ahh, but I think the trick is that we get them ALL in 2011... ;)

Well I know I can redo the ones I've done before, I'm aiming for sub-50 10k and sub-4 marathon as my main goals for 2011, and I came *very* close to the sub-40 5 miler at Raheny in 2010 so I reckon that's doable. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

1 mile - 6 mins
    3k - 12 mins
    5k - 25 mins
    5miles - 40 mins
    10k - 50 mins
    10miles - 80 mins
    Half Marathon - 2 hours
    Marathon - 4 hours

I'll join you!! The scariest one for me there is the 10 miles in 80 minutes...

Are you going to pick the races / time of year to achieve them or are you going to play it by ear to get it done by the end of 2011?

Scary mary! Though with this in mind, I'm going to let myself off the wagon a little for the rest of December and focus like a maniac in the new year...I love christmas festivities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

yungwan wrote: »
    Wow I would love to achieve these times.

I am (tentatively) putting myself in for this.

I need a challenge for 2011!

Pah just re-reading this today thinking "what was I thinking, I will never make these times!" lol :pac::pac:
    Thursday
    No running again today, but I did walk to the shops and back, made a snowman (or snow thing...) and spend about 40 minutes throwing snowballs. That has to count for something!? :D
    (sure it was great fun anyway)

Snow... it's a love / hate thing! :rolleyes:

Sure is a love/hate thing.

Thankfully we have escaped it over here, but it will take a while for it to thaw in the East Id say.

You definately need to get over your treadmill allergy Emer!! :p
    They're not that bad and are a means to an end in this weather at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

1 mile - 6 mins
    3k - 12 mins
    5k - 25 mins
    5miles - 40 mins
    10k - 50 mins
    10miles - 80 mins
    Half Marathon - 2 hours
    Marathon - 4 hours

Hah! I haven't a hope in hell of EVER reaching those times! With a lot of work and a flat course.... maybe... just maybe 2 hr half marathon but the rest of them.... not a chance! 6 minute mile?! the fastest mile I ever ran was 7.59 downhill!

But anyway... good luck with it! I'm sure you're well able for it given your recent achievements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I was just looking at D'pop's Big 8 Challenge post, but as I'm no where near the times they're quoting I'm thinking about setting my own goals around a similar theme.

Coming off a 04:24 marathon, 25+ min 5K and 54 min 10K this year, the really slow girlie times they were looking at look about the right level of challenge for me.

1 mile - 6 mins
    3k - 12 mins
    5k - 25 mins
    5miles - 40 mins
    10k - 50 mins
    10miles - 80 mins
    Half Marathon - 2 hours
    Marathon - 4 hours

Ooohh I like the sound of this but there is some fair improvement/miracles that need to happen for me to achieve these. But I do like a challenge :). I'm in!!

• Advertisement

Wow, great reply the to the Big 8!

Maybe we should be starting another thread for the wussy soft big 8 challenge :D
    OR NOT...

Maybe we'll just keep those time for ourselves and log them in our training logs. We can revisit occasionally throughout the year and then sum them all up at the end of the year.

And no, I wasn't planning on setting out specific races that everyone needs to do, but if anyone finds a suitable plan / race schedule then please let us all know?

Roll on 2011. :p

Friday rest day.
    I was so pi$$ed off with having had no run all week that I decided to walk to work instead. It's 2 miles, which isn't that much, but through the snow and ice... interesting. :p
    Got all suited up in the hiking boots and ski gear, brought a bag with some work suitable clothes (couldn't really spend the day in the salopettes!), and headed off. I really enjoyed it. It was tough going in places and the footpaths were treacherous in spots, but all in all it was a great way to start the day. Home again the same way, and much happier for having got some air and some exercise. It took me just over 30 minutes either way, which was fine given the conditions (and the weight of my boots! :eek:)

Saturday
    The aim was to just get in a few miles. Headed to the park, and the footpaths were woefully slippy, the snow on the grass was turning to slush and the the grass underneath was turning to muck. So every step was a dice roll... :rolleyes: Lots of concentration needed to make sure I didn't end up falling on my face!
    It was hard going and I was not all that happy while I was out there. But I was glad that I got it done. Must say that the looks I got while in the park were very funny <What a Loon> and did cheer me up. :P

Summary 4 very slow tough miles in the ice and snow.

Sunday LSR day
    In the park again - safer to stick to the grass... so it was getting a bit 'same-y'. Managed to keep going for 7 miles before I got too bored and headed home.

The thaw is on, so the snow on the grass was crunchy or mushy, depending on whether the sun was shining on it or not. Where there was no sun, the snow was still lovely and crunchy. The paths were very icy and slick, so I was avoiding them where possible.

Not fast, but it wasn't exactly fast conditions!? Happy to get out there.

Summary
    7.3 miles in 01:13:12
    Avg Pace: 10:01 min/m

Hopeful plan for the week
    Ok. So as the snow had me well scuppered last week, I'm hoping that the thaw is going to let me get out this week. I know the temperatures are still going to be pretty low, but I'll take anything at this stage. :rolleyes:

Monday| Easy 5mi
    Tuesday |Rest/XT
    Wednesday | 5mi w/ 3x800 in 3:55 (07:50 /mi) +400 jogs
    Thursday | Easy 4mi
    Friday | Rest
    Saturday | Rest /XT
    Sunday |LSR 8mi

Party season is starting too, so I might need to move days around if a late night is on the cards...

Doh! I haven't logged in here since last Sunday, and looking at my plan for the week, I'm a bit embarrassed!?:o

It's been a hectic week, and the weather conditions were not helping the motivation. I ended up doing just 2 runs, but Saturday was spent running around town shopping and lifting the (heavy) boxes of decorations from the attic, then stretching and balancing on tip-toe to get them all up.
    Does that count as a cross training day? :D I felt as wrecked last night as if I'd run a 20 miler...

So the Running for the week was:

Wednesday Swallowed my pride and went to the local gym. I attempted to do my speed session on the treadmill - 5 miles with 3 sets of 800 mt with 400 jogs. (oh joy!)
    Started off grand at a comfortable 10km/hr (~10 min miles) for the first 1.5km. Then I upped the pace for the first set of reps. Thing is, I'm used to miles and pace, and this treadmill was all in Km and showed speed instead of pace... So I got it all wrong! I tried to go WAY too fast (14 km/h :eek:) and ended up jumping off the belt after about 200 mt.
    Sort of realised my mistake then (14km/h is about 6.55 min miles), so reduced my pace a bit for the 2nd rep., once I'd recovered from my gaffe. But I'd scuppered myself at this point and couldn't manage any sort of pace at all. Finally gave up after some very short reps and finished the last 4 km's at 10km/h, but it was VERY painfull.
    I was completely overheating throughout the session. I had a full Litre of water with me which I'd demolished well before the 5 miles were done, and on a normal 5 mile I wouldn't need any fluids at all. I really don't know how you treddie lovers do it, but I've newly gained respect for you after that run on Wednesday.
    Summary 5 miles (with intervals) in 50ish minutes

Sunday Shopping done, so I was free to go for a run. Yay! 8 miles planned. It wasn't icy at all, so I decided to head for the sea and run along to Killiney and back. It was great, but I never seem to remember just how HARD that hill is until I'm on it! Felt Like I was going up at a 45 degree angle (yea, I know that's not the case, but it felt like it!) I will admit to walking for a bit, but even when I was running I was going about as fast as a toddler with new shoes...
    It was nice coming down the far side though :p
    Finished off with an extra half mile in the park, so very happy with that.
    Summary8.6 miles in 1:24:34

Miles for the year: 985.20 mi
    So just another 15 to finish the 1000 miles in 2010. That'd be magic!

Got the application form off very promptly and obviously had a lucky postman draw because I'm one of the fortunate ones. I know some people were just as prompt and didn't get in, so I'll have to make sure of a good show on the day to prove my worth! <oh the pressure :D>

And I guess this means I'll have to stop letting the weather dictate my training?

The plan for early 2011 is coming together:
    March - Ballycotton 10 mile
    April - Two Oceans Half Marathon

Don't know if either is 'Target time' material, but I'm sure going to give it a go.

Plan for the week
    The christmas season is starting and I have plans on Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday will be safe enough, but Friday is promising to be a bit of a wipe out. So I'm just calling it and making Saturday a rest day :p (or rather, recovery day)

Monday| Easy 5mi
    Tuesday |Tempo - 5mi, inc Warm; 3mi@8:45; Cool
    Wednesday | Rest
    Thursday | Easy 4mi
    Friday | Rest
    Saturday | Rest /XT
    Sunday |LSR 9mi

So it's just Tuesday and the plan for the week is already shot :mad:
    Woke up Monday with a stiff neck and shoulders. Did the heat pad thing last night, and woke up this morning felling like a complete crock!! Couldn't move my head at all.
    Running is definitely not an option... <ouch>

I rubbed in some anti inflammatory spay this evening, so fingers crossed it's all better in a day or so. :confused:

After a magic massage on Tuesday night (much thanks to the OH :D) I woke up practically cured on Wednesday. The neck & the shoulder were still a tiny bit tight and sore, but I was a million times better than I was on Tuesday. Phew!

Wednesday Rest day. Dinner out with the girls. Ate WAY to much and rolled home late. Christmas has officially started. :rolleyes:

Thursday 4.25 miles on a COLD COLD evening.
    We had our Christmas lunch at work today - the full works: turkey & ham, veg, etc. followed by pudding and brandy cream... mmmmm. Ate too much (again:o), so absolutely had to get out for my run this evening.
    Geesh it was brassers out there though! My mouth and nose were sore just breathing as the air was that cold. Didn't think I'd last past 2 miles, but I kept it going, so happy enough with that.

summary
    4.25 miles in 41:20
    Avg Pace: 09:44 min/mi

Total miles for 2010 so far: 988.21

• Advertisement

Friday was Christmas party night, so no running (but plenty of dancing - can I count that as cross training?) :D
    Saturday was a write off with travelling, shopping and recovery.

Sunday
    Snow! Again! :(
    Time was tight so I only managed to get out for a bit. Got 4.6 (slow) miles done. Not quite my planned 8, and well short of my weekly target too... ah well.
    Summary 4.6 miles in 00:46:34
    Avg Pace: 10:07 min/mi

994.05 miles done so far this year. Only 5.95 miles to make the 1000.
    Should have been finished this week :mad: but I have no-one but myself to blame.

Got an unexpected call from work yesterday evening to say the office was closed today, so I took the opportunity to go out for mid-day run. I got my yaktrax on Sunday so they were calling out for a first outing too. :D

It was pretty spectacular out there. The sky was blue, the sun was shining, sparkling on the virgin snow, making the park look like a winter wonderland. Ah, a glorious day for a run. Of course the blizzards started again this afternoon, so I got the best of the day. Happy out! :P

The snow was very deep in places and I had to pick my way though. It was hard work and very slow going. After two miles it felt like I'd done 6! :o But I knew I was close to the 1000 miles for the year, so kept slogging away. If the weather wasn't so nice, I'd have given up a lot earlier, but I kept at it. Some of the looks of the dog walkers were priceless though! <I could almost hear their thoughts... What a nutter!>

So six miles later, I finally past the 1000 miles for the year, Woo Hoo!. That's a pretty monumental thing for me, and I'm SO proud of myself. I didn't even bother with a plan for this week, cause I honestly didn't think I'd be able to get a run in.

Great way to finish off the year. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats on the 1000 Emer, nice one! :)

December 25th - Goal mile
    I'd mentally committed to doing this but didn't know if it was going to go ahead. It was about -14c and the snow and ice was thick on the ground. They announced at mass that several other events had been cancelled, but they had not been notified of any cancellation for the Goal mile.

I headed home, got the gear on (tights, 3 tops, gloves, hat) and drove to the scheduled starting point. Got there and noticed that I was the only one in running gear. Everyone else was in boots, coats, woolly hats, etc. and everyone was WALKING. Doh! Just standing for the two minutes while they were doing the "thanks for coming.... good cause..." I could feel the -14 creaping into my bones.:(

"Off we go" and the procession started. I went over to the leader / organiser and got the route and ran ahead, passing out the lead (cop) car. Met the OH half way down the street and he joined me for the rest of the mile (he was doing 5). When we got back to the start/finish point a photographer took our photo for the local paper! :eek: :o
    He ran on and I ran to the car and tried to thaw out my hands before I could drive.

What a day! I was a bit disappointed with the fact that I was the only runner. Never mind. Not a time to write home about, but happy enough to get around without pulling anything in those temperatures.
    Summary 1 mile in 00:07:54

Tuesday 28th Dec
    Last few days of 2010. Came back from the west today and felt totally lazy and blah after the excesses of the Christmas so decided to just head out for a run.
    I had no plan, maybe 3 or 4 miles... ended up doing 3.3. Temperatures have well recovered (it was about +9c) and there was no snow or ice anywhere.
    Got a few CD's for pressies, so had them loaded up on the mp3. I'll have to do quite a few more miles to get through them all though.:D
    Summary 3.3 miles in 00:31:22
    Avg Pace: 09:30 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

December 25th - Goal mile

"Off we go" and the procession started. I went over to the leader / organiser and got the route and ran ahead, passing out the lead (cop) car. Met the OH half way down the street and he joined me for the rest of the mile (he was doing 5). When we got back to the start/finish point a photographer took our photo for the local paper! :eek: :o
    He ran on and I ran to the car and tried to thaw out my hands before I could drive.

Thats hilarious - another celebrity on the forum...where is the autograph signing taking place :D

Well done on getting out for it.

shazkea wrote: »
    Thats hilarious - another celebrity on the forum...where is the autograph signing taking place :D

Well done on getting out for it.

Yeah, it's just gas!
    And I'm in the Irish Runner mag for Dec/Jan too, doing a few yoga poses to help my instructor out, and the OH was in the IMRA annual... what a festival of fame we are. :P
    The Posh and Becks of Boards perchance?! :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done on finishing the 1000, we were neck and neck for a few months there...

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Well done on finishing the 1000, we were neck and neck for a few months there...

Thanks MisterDrak. You just pipped me to it. Congrats on your achievement too. Now, are you on for the 2000 for 2011? < joke!!:D;)>

• Advertisement

Thursday 30th Dec
    Had a big family dinner yesterday so felt I just HAD to go out for a decent run today.

I decided on trying an 8 mile loop from Dalkey to Dun Laoghaire and back. Of course I didn't exactly map it right, so when I got back to the car I had covered just 7 miles. The last mile was uphill from Dalkey to the car park and took me over 12 minutes!! I was totally knackered at that point, so called it a day.

So not a fast one, and it was foggy and dull and dreary and I felt like sh1t but at least I got out there?
    Summary 7 miles in 01:08:36
    Avg Pace: 09:47 min/mi

Advertisement