Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sat Jan 01
    After my 7 mile slog around Dalkey / Dun Laoghaire on Thursday my shins and thighs were feeling a bit sore. Well, the thighs were just muscle sore cause I hadn't done anything more than 4 miles in a few weeks and absolutely NO hills. But the shins were a bit shin splint-ey :( It was only afterwards that I realised I had done all my runs in the last 3 - 4 weeks on grass / soft snow, and pounding them on concrete / tarmac for 7 miles probably wan't the best! And that pier in Dun Laoghaire is just a killer it's so hard! So I was icing them last night, and massaging a bit of ZUM run in to try to ease things.

Recovery run today, just to kick off the new year in the right direction. 4 miles in the park, on the soft squishy grass. Lovely :p.
    The runners were in a bit of a mucky mess when I got home, but it was a good run.
    Summary 4.2 miles in 00:39:53
    Avg Pace: 09:29 min/mi

I don't have the year planned out yet or anything but I have signed up for the Ballycotton 10 and the Two Oceans HM.

So I have 9 weeks to Ballycotton on Sunday March 6th 2011, then another 7 to the Two Oceans on 23rd April 2011.

I need to get my plan in place for these. Some hill running will be a necessity in there too, looking at the T.O. route profile. :eek:

High Level:
    4 runs per week with Swimming and Yoga (hopefully, if I find a suitable class!) on cross training days.
    The plan will be loosely based on the Hal Higdon approach (it's worked for me so far), but I'll be looking for some advice from some trusted advisers on tweaking this for the specific events. I'll stick it in week by week as I go.

Roll on 2011. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Firstmarathon

Im a begginner to this Marathon gig :eek:. I have no experience in running and am trying to build myself up slowly with long walks and short spurts of running to try and build it up to longer runs. But I need to learn more.
    • I have my schedule made. Which allows for my rest days.
    1st Quater Training Plan.xls
    • I have got the runners.
    • I am going to join a local (Blackrock) Athletics club on the 10th when they reopen after the Christmas break as I hope they make some friends to see me through the training. I will I think need to incorporate the hills into my training as I dont think the athletics club will be able to do that for me.
    • Im trying to learn about the nutrition.
    Any Help on things I may have missed will much appreciated :confused:

Im a begginner to this Marathon gig :eek:. I have no experience in running and am trying to build myself up slowly with long walks and short spurts of running to try and build it up to longer runs. But I need to learn more.
    • I have my schedule made. Which allows for my rest days.
    1st Quater Training Plan.xls
    • I have got the runners.
    • I am going to join a local (Blackrock) Athletics club on the 10th when they reopen after the Christmas break as I hope they make some friends to see me through the training. I will I think need to incorporate the hills into my training as I dont think the athletics club will be able to do that for me.
    • Im trying to learn about the nutrition.
    Any Help on things I may have missed will much appreciated :confused:

LOL :D I'm no expert either! Happy to pass on the advice I got though... First things first: Have you a marathon in mind? What is your current fitness base?

If you can run 5 miles comfortably then I'd recommend getting a marathon plan (they go from about 12 - 18 weeks on average) and match it to your planned race day. Hal Higdon does a good beginners plan which served me well.
    If there's more time than that or if you're not quite up to the 5 miles yet, then follow a 10K (or C25K) plan to bring you up to that.

My best piece of advice would be to train consistently. Running a marathon requires a big commitment and if you don't get the training in, you'll have a miserable time on the day. I did 4 days a week running, and 2 days cross (swimming or yoga) and 1 rest day.

And remember to enjoy it. There's no point doing something that makes you miserable! If you're not feeling the love (:rolleyes:) go slower, or do shorter runs, or change your route, or get a partner...

Have fun, and good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Emer, just catching up on your log. You put me to shame all your training in the snow. The only exercise I was doing was reaching in and out of the tin of Roses. Also well done on reaching the 1000 miles. And getting in to Ballycotton. I tried and failed miserably. Yes, the pressure is on you now for sure.
    Best of luck with all your 2011 goals.

• Advertisement

This is a derivation of a Hal Higdon HM plan. I'll stick with this as much as I can.

Mon |3 m run + strength
    Tue | 6 x hill
    Wed | Rest/ Cross (Yoga?)
    Thu |40 min tempo
    Fri |Rest
    Sat |3 m run
    Sun| 90 min run (3/1)

Now the Howth IMRA race is on next weekend which might just replace the weekends plan... depends on the weather / mood! :p

Some new things to play with in this plan. Here's how Hal talks about them:

Warm-up: My usual warm-up is to jog a mile or two, sit down and stretch for 5-10 minutes, then run some easy strides (100 meters at near race pace). And I usually cool down afterwards by doing half the warm-up distance.

Hills: Some hill training will help strengthen your quads and build speed. Look for a hill between 200 and 400 meters long. Jog or walk an equal distance between each repeat.

Tempo Runs: This is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near 10-K race pace. A Tempo Run of 40 to 60 minutes would begin with 10-20 minutes easy running, build to 20-30 minutes near the middle, then 5-10 minutes easy toward the end. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout.

Long Runs: The LSR schedule suggests a slight increase in time as you get closer to race date: from 90 minutes to 1:45 to two hours. Don't get hung up on running these workouts too fast and forget about how many miles you cover. And, yes, you may actually find yourself running further than 13.1 miles when you run two hours. Run at a comfortable, conversational pace, except on those days where a 3/1 run is prescribed. A 3/1 run is one in which you run the first three-fourths of the distance at a comfortable pace, then accelerate to near race pace over the last one quarter of the workout. (You should finish refreshed, not fatigued.) The schedule below suggests doing your long runs on Sundays, and while you can do them Saturdays or any other convenient day, you will generally find it easier to run the long runs the day after the pace runs instead of vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey Emer, I got into Ballycotton too :) I can't believe it's only 9 weeks away, I need a plan!

Best of luck with the training and goals for 2011.

RubyK wrote: »
    Hey Emer, I got into Ballycotton too :) I can't believe it's only 9 weeks away, I need a plan!

Cool! Maybe we can meet for a pint (or two) after? :p
    Good luck with the training.

Monday Jan 3rd
    3 miles on a balmy bank holiday morning. Met a few similarly minded folk, and passed with a wave and a mutual 'howya'.
    Short one, but nice.

Spent the afternoon shopping - sales are great!! :D

Holidays all over now :( Back to normal tomorrow.
    Summary 3.15 miles in 00:30:19
    Avg Pace: 09:37 min/mi

Bold Bold Bold!
    Just day 2 of the new plan and I'm already lagging :(

Got home from work absolutely wrecked and tired and cold (was it cold out there or what?) so just made dinner and ate it. :rolleyes:
    Will do my run tomorrow instead. <promise>

• Advertisement

Wednesday 5th Jan

Had to fit this in with Mom's taxi, so parked the car and ran to the bottom of Glenamuck road for 6 hill repeats of about about 0.24 of a mile (about 350+mt). That was tough! It a decent enough road to do the hill repeats on - well lit, hill steep enough without being too horrendous, cycle path all the way.

I think the 3rd one felt the hardest. The 6th repeat was on the way back as I was stuck for time, so that was a bit shorter (just 0.16 mi or 250 mt)

Repeats were:
    Distance (mi) | 0.24 |0.24 |0.24 |0.24 |0.24 |0.16
    Time (sec) | 128| 127 | 132 | 139 |124 | 84
    Pace (min/mi) | 08:58 | 08:55 | 09:18 | 09:51 | 09:06 | 08:47 |

Of course, when I was jogging back into the park to collect the wee one, I didn't see a raised lip on the ground at the gateway and went head over heals! :eek:
    Converted the fall into a roll and came back up to my feet in one move (very slick! :o) but I've ended up with two bloody knees :(, a bruised elbow and I've ripped my favourite Mizuno running tights :mad:.
    What a ditz. :p I really need to get torch!
    Summary 4.34 miles in 00:43:50
    Avg Pace: 10:06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Ouch that's gonna hurt tomorrow. Hope you're okay

I ripped my favourite nike tights a few weeks ago, I must have caught them in a zip or something as I got a rip in the bum part. Sadly I only noticed this after coming back from a club training session when my OH said "why are you showing off your pink undies".:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Emer911 wrote: »
    Glenamuck road for 6 hill repeats of about about 0.24 of a mile (about 350+mt). That was tough! It a decent enough road to do the hill repeats on - well lit, hill steep enough without being too horrendous, cycle path all the way.

That is some good running! Glenamuck road is tough!! I dread it and I only ever do it on a loop - maybe once a week (if even...)! 6 times in one run - kudos!

Hope the knees are alright tomorrow. :)

runrabbit wrote: »
    Sadly I only noticed this after coming back from a club training session when my OH said "why are you showing off your pink undies".:o

LOL! I'd say that was pricless!! :p
    runrabbit wrote: »
    Ouch that's gonna hurt tomorrow. Hope you're okay
    claralara wrote: »
    Hope the knees are alright tomorrow. :)

Thanks for the sympathy girls. Felt like a right prat, and my left knee is a total mess - but nothing that won't scab over in a day or two. :rolleyes:

claralara wrote: »
    That is some good running! Glenamuck road is tough!! I dread it and I only ever do it on a loop - maybe once a week (if even...)! 6 times in one run - kudos!

Thanks. The plan said Hill, so I was racking my brain to get a 200 - 400 mt hill that was well lit and enough of an incline to be a proper workout. It seemed to do the trick. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Hope you're okay today. That must have hurt. Believe you me, I've had plenty of near misses in the falling department in the past year. I crashed into a wheelie bin before Christmas. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Yikes that sounds painful (but the roll move sounds cool ;)) Hope you're not too achey today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I apologise in advance but my first reaction was to roar laughing. I have this image of you doing a ninja role and you popping up in a crouched stance looking around to see if anyone saw you before continuing on. So did anyone see you!!

Then I read runrabbits tights fiasco and jcsmums whellie bin moment & that set me off again...

I hope you're alright and no serious damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

shazkea wrote: »
    I apologise in advance but my first reaction was to roar laughing. I have this image of you doing a ninja role and you popping up in a crouched stance looking around to see if anyone saw you before continuing on. So did anyone see you!!

Then I read runrabbits tights fiasco and jcsmums whellie bin moment & that set me off again...

:D:D Me too!!!! Terrible laughing at other people's misfortune and I tried not to. And yeah I hope you are ok also. Probably sore, burning knees today, still remember the pain when you were in the playground and you fell and the others would bring you to the front of the line in the yard?

On positive side, you must be also going very fast tho, as at my speed I reckon I could avoid a snail on the ground!!

Thanks guys.
    The knees are fine now. Scabby and black, blue and green but sure it takes me back...:rolleyes: I haven't had knees like that in about 30 years?! :D

:eek:...am I really that OLD?

Saturday 8th Jan
    I missed my Thursday night run (I was feeling a bit sorry for myself) so got out today and planned on doing 4ish instead of the planned 3. The run went ok. I stuck to the park, but the paths were a touch icy in spots and the grass was just muddy, so it wasn't that enjoyable.
    Still, at least the sun was shining.
    Tummy was felling a bit iffy so decided to call it a day at around 3.5 and head for home. Probably nothing. Feeling ok now so I'm still on for my ling run tomorrow.
    Summary 3.78 mi in 00:36:52
    Avg Pace: 09:45 min/mi

• Advertisement

Sunday 9th Jan.
    90 minute LSR with 3/1 was planned, but I wasn't feeling great to be honest. I changed my route to keep it close to home - just in case I had to make a dash for it :o.

So I set off uncertain how it was going to go. Slowly is how... But I did manage to keep it going for the full 90 minutes, so I'm satisfied with that. Can't say I enjoyed it, but at least I didn't wuss out. The 3/1 bit didn't go so well. I did try to pick up the pace for the last 20 minutes or so, and yes, I went a bit faster, but nothing to shout about!
    Oh well...
    Summary 8.65 mi in 01:30:02 (told you it was slow)
    Avg (moving) Pace: 10:17 min/mi

Plan for the week

Mon |3 m run + strength / yoga
    Tue | 7 x 400 5-K pace (about 8:13 /mi)
    Wed | 3 m run + strength
    Thu |45 min tempo
    Fri |Rest
    Sat |3 m pace run
    Sun| 90 min run

Day's might be moved about depending on circumstances...

Monday 10th Jan
    I know there was 3 miles in the plan, but I found a lunchtime Pilates class and decided to try that out as a yoga replacement. Well, it was interesting, but it won't be replacing yoga just yet!
    It was a 45 minute class of pure core work - tummy, pelvis, butt, and a bit of upper body stuff. Good one, and I've signed up the 6 classes to see how it progresses. Sure I'll give it a go. Can't hurt (too much!:D)

Tuesday 11th Jan
    (I can feel that core work today! Did I say it couldn't hurt? :p)
    7 x 400 mt intervals at 5K pace. It was cold and rainy and a bit miserable out there. I wasn't all that interested or keen to get out to it, but I gave myself a metaphorical kick in the a$$ and got out there. :rolleyes:

The 5 k pace is supposed to be about 08:13 /mi, so I set up the program on the Garmin to keep between 7:30 and 8:35 so it wouldn't be beeping at me all the time. I find that this kind of leeway works for me. I have to set up any interval repeats because once I'm running I seem to loose the ability to keep track of simple numbers :o - so was that number 3 or 4 now? Hmmm...

I did my intervals with roughly 2 minutes recovery (walk / very slow jog) between each. A mile for the warm-up and the cool-down brought me to just about 5 miles in total.

The intervals were:
    Split|Time|Avg Pace
    1 |119 sec| 00:07:58
    2 |122 sec| 00:08:08
    3 |124 sec| 00:08:18
    4 |121 sec| 00:08:05
    5 |119 sec| 00:07:59
    6 |124 sec| 00:08:18
    7 |120 sec| 00:08:00

So happy with that. 2 of them were slower than the target 08:13, but I'm not going to complain. First interval session on 2011 done!! :D
    Summary 5.01 miles in 00:50:05
    Avg Pace: 09:59 min/mi

Just curious, are you using a track for your intervals or a measured distance on a road route. I like the idea of these but can't think of anywhere suitable in the dark nights. I would like to start doing these types of runs. Also no idea how to set pace in Garmin but will read Krusty's manual for that :)

shazkea wrote: »
    Just curious, are you using a track for your intervals or a measured distance on a road route. I like the idea of these but can't think of anywhere suitable in the dark nights. I would like to start doing these types of runs. Also no idea how to set pace in Garmin but will read Krusty's manual for that :)

Hey Shaz,
    I set up the interval distance on the watch and try to get a flatish, straightish bit of road to run it on. I don't have a track or anything near me (not a lit one) so have to be imaginative. There is a park near but it's not lit either and is VERY dark at night (spooky :rolleyes:)

Last night I just ran through the village, back and forth. A bit boring, but it was lit, good surface, and flat(ish) and just about the 400 meters from one end of the street to the other.
    I'm sure the guys in the xtra vision were wondering what I was up to :D

You can set up the Intervals on the Garmin through Workouts on the Training Centre. Set the Target as "keep my speed in a certain zone", set the zone as "custom" and the From and To will be your upper and lower paces for the intervals. (I tend to leave a good gap so the thing isn't beeping at me too much!)
    Once the workout is setup, click the 'Send to device' option and it'll be loaded to the watch.
    To access it on the watch go to Training >Workouts > Advanced > and pick your workout and off you go.

I'm sure Krusty will explain it all much better though :p

lovely - thanks for the info. I had no idea you could set up workouts on Garmin :o. In my defence I upload to Sports Track so never played around with the Garmin TC. No need for me to visit Krusty's log now ;)

Wednesday 12th Jan
    No running.
    Who am I kidding? I can't (won't) run 6 days a week, as per the HH plan!? I did 4 days last year with my yoga and swimming, so I'm going to have to see if I can work something similar out again. Ho hum... I guess I can chalk this self revelation down to experience? :rolleyes:

Thursday 13th Jan
    40 min temp run. Warm-up for about 1 mile at 10 min/mi then 20 minutes a bit faster (2 miles at 09:04/mi and 09:05/mi) and back to about 10:00/mi for the last 10 minutes or so. It was a bit warmer than I expected so I was wearing way too much and got a wee bit hot:P
    It was a bit slow as a tempo but I'm not going to beat myself up about that. Onwards and upwards!:D
    Summary 4.2 mi in 00:40:35
    Avg Pace: 09:39 min/mi

Friday 14th Jan
    Rest. :cool:

Saturday 15th Jan
    9 mile LSR with RunRabbit on a wet and VERY WINDY morning. It was great to have company and the first few miles flew by. The wind really gave us lash over the last few miles though, phew! Felt like we were being blown backwards a couple of times...:eek:

I'm usually a Sunday LSR person, so it was a bit of a shock to the poor old body to be out there early on a Saturday. Great to have it done now though. Nice easy recovery run tomorrow and I'll be happy with the week. :D
    Summary 9.01 miles in 01:30:45
    Avg Pace: 10:04 min/mi

• Advertisement

Sunday 16th Jan

No run for me today. Decided to take a nice hill walk with one of the kids while the others were all otherwise occupied. We went exploring on Ticknock, shloping up the mucky muddy trails and scrambling up the bone-shaker. Great fun!

It was only about 2ish miles in total, but I easily expended as much energy as on a 3 mile recovery run, and it was much better craic :D

Advertisement