Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

(more realistic) Plan for the week

Mon | yoga
    Tue | 4 mi run
    Wed| 7 x hill
    Thur|3 m run + strength
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|7 m run
    Sun|3 m

Found a new yoga class which I'm trying out on Monday. We'll see how it goes.

Have to do my LSR on Sat cause there's a thing on Sat evening and I have a feeling I won't be up to much on Sunday :p

Monday 17th Jan
    Did a 45 minute Pilates class at lunchtime and tried out a new yoga class in the evening.
    I was so looking forward to the yoga, but I wasn't all that thrilled with the yoga class. :( The room was freezing - it was in a draughty old church hall. The instructor did say that it was supposed to be in a different room, but was changed at the last minute.
    And I didn't really get into her rhythm either. Ah well. I guess a new yoga instructor is like new shoes, you have to wear them a few times to break them in? I'll give it a go again next week, but I'm not holding out too much hope...

Tuesday 18th Jan
    4 miles on a very tired body. I was SO tired this evening. I really did not need to go out running - a quick nap on the couch felt like a much better option. But I'm such a hero :rolleyes: I got out there, telling myself to "just do 3". I struggled through the first mile and a half before it started to get a tiny bit easier. By the time I'd done my little loop (3 miles) I decided to keep going for the 4th mile. It was NOT pretty, but it's done :o, and I actually felt less tired afterwards.

Strange days! :confused:
    Summary 4.01 mi in 00:36:44
    Avg Pace: 09:10 min/mi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Emer911 wrote: »
    Tuesday 18th Jan
    4 miles on a very tired body. I was SO tired this evening. I really did not need to go out running - a quick nap on the couch felt like a much better option. But I'm such a hero :rolleyes: I got out there, telling myself to "just do 3". I struggled through the first mile and a half before it started to get a tiny bit easier. By the time I'd done my little loop (3 miles) I decided to keep going for the 4th mile. It was NOT pretty, but it's done :o, and I actually felt less tired afterwards.

Strange days! :confused:
    Summary 4.01 mi in 00:36:44
    Avg Pace: 09:10 min/mi

I find that too, I struggle in the beginning but by the end I could do another mile or two. I think it might be my body surrendering to my addiction!

Wednesday 19th Jan
    Rest. Legs felt a bit heavy and the shins were a bit tight so I decided to give myself a night off. The house was a bit nuts anyway, so it was probably the best decision!

Thursday 20th Jan
    Hills were in the plan but there were none handy:rolleyes: so I did intervals instead. My long run on Sat is a fairly hilly route so I'll get the work in then instead.;)
    So on a frosty, quite slippy, night, I pulled on my many layers and headed out to do 7 x 400 meter intervals at around 8:13/mi pace. I found a relatively frost free stretch in a nearby estate where there's a nice 600mt loop - perfect! 1 mile to warm-up and another to cool down.

Intervals were:
    Interval|Time (seconds)|pace/mi
    1|123 |08:14:00
    2|122 |08:10:00
    3|123 |08:13:00
    4|120 |08:03:00
    5|122 |08:10:00
    6|122 |08:09:00
    7|118 |07:55:00

Very happy with that, especially given the conditions!
    Summary 4.59 miles in 00:45:29
    Avg Pace: 09:54 min/mi

• Advertisement

Friday 21st Jan
    Rest

Saturday 22nd Jan
    Long run with a pal. 7 miles up around the lovely pucks castle road route :p Every time I run that hill it surprises me again! Got about half way up before we decided it had beat us :o and we walked for a bit.
    It was a lovely run though. Beautiful morning and the view at the top of the road was spectacular, as always.
    It was the LSR so aiming for about 10 min/mi. Felt comfortable (except for the hill:rolleyes:)
    Summary 7 miles in 01:08:58
    Avg Pace: 09:50 min/mi

Plan for the week

Mon | Pilates & Yoga
    Tue | 5 mi run
    Wed| 8 x 400 @ 5k pace
    Thur|4 m run + strength
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|10 m LSR
    Sun|4 m

Have to do supervision at the kids club so Wednesday will be late (ohh!:()

I've been doing only 3 of my planned runs for the last 2 weeks, so I'll have to cop myself on and stick to the plan this week. No excuses!:mad:

Sunday 23rd Jan
    Yeah, had a party to go to Saturday night and knew I wouldn't be up for much on Sunday... and I was right. No running done.

Monday 24th Jan
    Pilates class at lunch time and Yoga in the evening.

The pilates was great. I'm getting into it. Really good core work in just 45 minutes.

The yoga wasn't so exciting, but at least the room was comfortable this week. No icy gales blowing under the doors anyway :rolleyes:. I'm still struggling to get into rhythm with the instructor, and she's doing some good stuff, so I'll give it a try again. I'm sure we'll click!?

Tuesday 25th Jan
    Ouch. Did I say ouch? One more time, ouch! :eek:
    My ribs feel like I was being repeatedly kicked / punched! I guess the pilates / yoga must be making an impact?! :p(either that, or Mr Emer911 was kickboxing in his sleep?)

So....
    With a very sore body I dragged myself out for my 5 miles while the wee one was in her club. I used MapMyRun to plan a route around the vicinity of the club, but I didn't realise I was looking at kilometres instead of miles. So when I'd completed my 5 mile loop arriving back at my start point, my garmin had only clocked 3 miles. Obviously I twigged my mistake at this point, but had to 'find' another 2 miles. Doh! I'm such a dope.:o

Kept a fairly even, comfortable pace - even though my poor body was in bits:p
    Summary 5 miles in 00:48:26
    Avg Pace: 09:40 min/mi

Wednesday 26th Jan
    No running today :(
    I forgot I had to do supervision at the kids gym this evening, so I was frozen solid by the time we got home and just couldn't face going out again! I just wrapped myself up in about 3 layers, turned on the heat, and thawed out - slowly... :o
    Intervals postponed until tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Thursday 27th Jan
    8 x 400 mt intervals at 8:13 (or faster).
    Did them. Not saying much more than that.
    Not feeling the love today.

Interval | Duration | Pace
    1 |113 sec| 07:32
    2 |124 sec| 08:17
    3 |117 sec| 07:51
    4 |118 sec| 07:54
    5 |119 sec| 07:58
    6 |114 sec| 07:38
    7 |114 sec| 07:39
    8 |116 sec| 07:35

...a bit inconsistent, but a good bit faster than last week, so I shouldn't grumble.:rolleyes:

A mile warm-up and about a half mile cool-down took me to 4.5 miles in total.
    Summary 4.55 miles in 00:45:10
    Avg Pace: 10:08 min/mi

Friday 28th Jan
    Rest day, but did a swim instead. Nothing too hectic, just pootled up and down the pool for 30 minutes or so.

Saturday 29th Jan
    10 mile LSR with a running buddy. Great run. Lovely morning and we were up and gone nice(!) and early. Tough run though. A bit hillier that I'd anticipated and it wasn't pretty by times, but we finished strong - the last 3 miles were nice and flat so we picked up the pace a bit.

Stopped at a shop to pick up some water at about mile 5.
    Summary 10 miles in 01:39:45
    Avg Pace: 09:58 min/mi

Plan for the week

Mon | Pilates & Yoga
    Tue | 6 mi run
    Wed| 8 x hill
    Thur|5 m run
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|10 m (3/1)
    Sun|Rest

Should be able to fit it all in this week. :rolleyes:

Monday 31st Jan
    Lunchtime pilates - 45 minutes of very small, very specific movements, designed to make me feel PAIN. I'm starting to like this class :D

Evening Yoga - Still not exactly what I need, but I'm getting into it. The instructor was pushing it a bit this evening, so even though the moves were tricky at times, I definitely enjoyed it more than last weeks class. I just wish she'd let us settle in to poses. It just feels like she's rushing through it? :(

Tuesday 1st Feb
    I was a bit tight for time, so only managed to get 5.24 miles of the planned 6 done before 'life' interfered :D Mom's taxi can't be late?!

Bits of me were sore today that I NEVER felt an ache in before. Hips, back and hamstrings (and I have insanely long hamstrings that just don't get sore!) were in bits. I think I'm getting my money's worth for the pilates anyway. :p
    Made for interesting running - ouch!

Felt a bit better after, though I'm still feeling it...

Pace was a bit slow overall, but seeing as everything hurt, I'll take it!
    Summary 5.24 Miles in 00:51:23
    Avg Pace: 09:48 min/mi

Just signed up to do the Chicago Marathon in October :eek:
    There goes my summer... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Brilliant - you can be my guinea pig :D. It's on my hitlist since watching the Spirit of the Marathon! Might sign up for it next year but will see how you get on first ;)

shazkea wrote: »
    Brilliant - you can be my guinea pig :D. It's on my hitlist since watching the Spirit of the Marathon! Might sign up for it next year but will see how you get on first ;)

hmmm, my new job title - Guinea Pig...
    Nah, don't think it suits me, I'm not hairy enough!? :D

Glad to bring you a race report though - in about 8 months time:rolleyes:

Wednesday 2nd Feb
    Working late :( I was tired and fed up when I got home and it was too late (for me) to head out - even if I'd wanted to.

Thursday 3rd Feb
    Wow - a really wintry, blustery, rainy, horrible evening so I wussed out and went to the gym :rolleyes:. Did about 5.5 miles on the treadmill, with 8 x 400 mt intervals at 12 kph, or about 8 min/mi or 120 sec per interval.

Hate the gym, but its a necessary evil on a night like that. :p
    Summary 5.5 miles in (about) 57 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

hmmm, my new job title - Guinea Pig...
    Nah, don't think it suits me, I'm not hairy enough!? :D

Glad to bring you a race report though - in about 8 months time:rolleyes:

No rush with the race report - think I've one or two marathon attempts to get out the way first :rolleyes:

As for being my guinea pig...ok I won't use that phrase (and am not commenting on the hairiness)...I'll say that you're my inspiration instead :D

Saturday 5th Feb
    10 miles LSR (3/1)
    A wintry and windy few days leading up to this so I was pleasantly surprised that the wind had died down completely on Saturday morning. It was still raining, but light enough to ignore it for the most part! Thankfully my new running partner was on time so I had no excuse and we headed out, very reluctantly, it must be said. :o
    That was hard! AND there was lots of puddle jumping / splashing along the way, just for a change of pace... like running 10 miles straight wasn't enough fun!? :D

We stopped at about mile 6 for a bottle of water and I had to take an emergency stop at the garage at mile 7 :eek:
    Up to that, the running was grand and we kept to the planned pace. At about mile 8 the plan was to up the tempo a bit (for the 3/1), so the chatting ended and the real hard work began. By the time the 10 mile beeped on the watch I was wrecked and SO happy to hear that little sound.

General pace for the first 8 miles was about 09:40 /mi
    The last 2 were 09:01 and 08:56.
    Happy out, especially as I was feeling tired even before we started.
    Summary 10 miles in 01:35:29
    Avg Pace: 09:32 min/mi

Sunday 6th Feb
    Late late night last night so not up to running. :o:p
    ...as expected :rolleyes:

Plan for the week
    Step back week

Mon | Pilates & Yoga
    Tue | 4 mi run
    Wed| 9 x 400
    Thur|3 mi run
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|8 mi
    Sun|3 mi pace

Monday 7th Feb
    Pilates at Lunchtime - really liking this one. Ouchy but good :D
    Yoga in the evening - not really loving this :( I think I've given it a fair go at this point, but I'm probably going to call it a day and look for a different class/ teacher. Oh dear...

Tuesday 8th Feb
    4 miles in the rain. Ya know, I was looking forward to this, even if the weather was wet and miserable. So how happy was I when I tripped over a piece of wire on the ground and busted up my knee and elbow? Mad mad :mad:
    Picked myself up, threw the wire over a wall so it wouldn't mug some other poor unsuspecting pedestrian and ran on - slowly...
    Finished my 4 miles and came home to clean up my wounds. Sitting here now supping a much appreciated cold beer, munching some birthday chockies and feeling very sorry for myself, well my knee hurts :o:p
    Summary 4.1 miles in 00:39:57 (not including the stopping while sprawled on the path)
    Avg Moving Pace: 09:44 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Sitting here now supping a much appreciated cold beer, munching some birthday chockies and feeling very sorry for myself, well my knee hurts :o

Your birthday chocs? Happy Birthday. Not a nice way to spend your evening falling over and injuring yourself. Hope you're feeling better today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Hope you're okay Emer. What a rubbish birthday present!
    Glad you picked yourself up and onwards..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Look after yourself! Seems to be falling weather at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Not another fall, jeez Emer, hope you're ok. And hopefully I don't copy you again and fall this weekend ;) Belated happy birthday too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Hi Emer just catching up on all your news now! And what a lot of news, a Birthday :D a fall :( and an upcoming marathon :eek:

I've fallen way back in fitness but slowly building it up now - I'd be no good to you for any proper runs but if you're ever planning an easy recovery run in the park let me know!

Advertisement