Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Tuesday 15th Mar
    4.5 cold slow miles. The legs just were not having any of it tonight. I struggled to get the pace to anything remotely acceptable and ended up with an average 09:29 /mi pace for the run. Felt very tough though, much tougher than it should have. Not having a happy run-time lately :(

Probably didn't have enough hydration on board though, so I have only myself to blame. New resolution... drink more water! :o
    Summary 4.55 miles in 00:43:09
    Avg Pace: 09:29 min/mi

Wednesday 16th Mar
    Out on the town for the saints day so no running

Thursday 17th Mar
    4x800mt intervals at 10k pace (about 08:30/mi). Lovely morning for a run. Cool but sunny and bright. Lots of people out and about enjoy the sunshine and the day off. I ran the intervals in the park, with about 2 mins between each 800mts and a mile warm-up and cool-down.

No |Time(duration) | Pace /mile
    1| 250 sec| 08:21
    2| 254 sec| 08:29
    3| 248 sec| 08:17
    4| 241 sec| 08:03

I found this one grand, even though the intervals were a bit tough. Strange, after the way my previous two runs have gone.
    Very happy, a good run, and it's great to be able to do an interval session on a bright sunny morning.:D Pity we don't get more free days off, eh?:rolleyes:

Summary 4.63 miles in 00:45:37
    Avg Pace: 09:51 min/mi

Friday 18th Mar
    Rest day

Saturday 19th mar
    12 mile LSR.
    Beautiful sunny morning and rather unexpectedly warm too. Picked the right gear though (shorts & t-shirt), and even thought to apply the sunscreen - Lucky! Headed off with my usual LSR partner at a more reasonable 09:30 (instead of the 08:30 start last week)
    We headed out over the hills towards Enniskerry, which is a run I hadn't done before, but I was promised that the route was flat / downhill once we got past Carrickgollogan.
    The first 4.5 miles are uphill (about 180mt in total). Mostly gentle inclines, but the Pucks castle road, and again just up to the Carrickgollogan car park are just lovely :rolleyes: I usually struggle on those, but kept it slow and steady and managed to run both hills - no walking breaks. Yay!
    Downhill from there into Enniskerry. Water stop and (very amusing... don't ask!) toilet break stop in the village and we were off again towards the N11 (downhill again). Crossed over the N11 on the footbridge and into Bray along by Herbert road. A bit hillier than expected, but not too bad. Last few miles back to and around the park. Lovely.

I know we were slow, but I really enjoyed that route. Lots of lovely people out too and we got some nice cheery greetings along the way.
    And I'm sure all those hill MUST be building some strength in the legs?! Somewhere?! Maybe...:rolleyes:
    Summary 12 miles in 02:02:54
    Avg Pace: 10:14 min/mi

Sunday 20th Mar
    St Patricks 5K road race on a lovely sunny Sunday afternoon. This was a family affair - sort of... Me and the wee one did this together. It was a bit stop-start, and there were no records broken, but it was grand for a recovery run. She said she enjoyed it too (once we'd finished :D). And we ended with a sprint to the finish line :p

Glorious day in town. Lots of people around, and there was a great atmosphere. Stopped for a coffee/ smoothie in Stephens Green to enjoy the sunshine, before heading home. Very chilled! :cool:
    A nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon, all told...
    Summary 3.18 mi in 00:34:51
    Avg Pace: 10:57 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I have to say the amount of families running today was brilliant and great to see. Well done to both of you and hopefully she'll be hooked too after this - although with the gene pool, not sure she has a choice in this :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Nice LSR and race there - great to see all the hard work paying off for you :)

Plan for the coming week

Mon| Pilates
    Tue| 4.5 m run
    Wed|3 x 1600 Race pace (~09:00 min/mi)
    Thu|Pilates + 5 m run
    Fri| Rest
    Sat|12 mi run (3/1)
    Sun| 5 mile

Busy weekend this weekend.. hope I get everything in?! :rolleyes:

Monday 21st Mar
    Lunchtime Pilates. Tough class today. Hips were quite tight and we did lots of work on them, so I was feeling every minute of it :o
    I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow too :p

...but SO worth it!

shazkea wrote: »
    I have to say the amount of families running today was brilliant and great to see. Well done to both of you and hopefully she'll be hooked too after this - although with the gene pool, not sure she has a choice in this :)

Don't think she's quite hooked yet! She's into her gymnastics and Kung Fu, and she's asthmatic, so the running (especially a 5k) was a bit outside her comfort zone. Still, she finished, and said she enjoyed it!? :rolleyes:
    Great family day out though...:p Pity there aren't a few more of them.

Tuesday 22nd March
    4.5 miles in the park - in daylight!? Yay! Lovely run. Decent pace that felt comfortable. Might need to get the shades out for future runs though, cause the flys were a wee bit annoying.
    Summary 4.53 miles in 00:40:57
    Avg Pace: 09:02 min/mi

• Advertisement

Wednesday 23rd Mar
    3x1600 mt intervals @ race pace
    It's Wednesday, and I went running!? I broke the pattern. Yay :p
    Felt good too, relatively easy. I was a bit tight for time, so only got a half mile warm up and cool down, but I was very happy with that. Kept the pace up well and had minimal rests/recovery between.

No | Pace /mile
    1| 08:47
    2|08:45
    3|08:38
    Summary 4.35 miles in 00:42:14
    Avg Pace: 09:43 min/mi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Just catching up on your log Emer. Nice LSR at the weekend! I'm just thinking my little lad would have loved to have run on Sunday, he doesn't like spectating. Thing is, I'm selfish me, going for a PB and all. Next time... :)

Thursday 24th Mar
    Lunchtime Pilates. Packed class!
    No running. Late home and no enthusiasm left in my weary body. :(

Friday 25th Mar
    Supposed to be a rest day, but I had thought I might fit in 3 or 4 miles. Seeing as its now 20:45 and I'm still at work, I don't think that's going to happen. Ho hum...

Saturday 26th Mar
    Disaster of a day :mad:
    Up nice and early, and dropped the OH up to the WW Ultra start, and the plan was to go do my 12 miles, wash and eat and be back up to collect / cheer him over the finish line. Lovely.
    Alas, 'twas not to be. Got back home and got a call to go to work - emergency stuff :(. Headed in to figure out the problem, and decide what was needed to clean it up. Had to just drop that and dash out to get to the race finish on time, drop him home and head back to work. Finally got home again by about 5:00 and was in no mood to do anything.
    And tomorrow will be spent at a Gymnastics competition from 8:30 (which means getting up at about 6:45! :eek:) to about 12:30 (at the earliest), so it'll be tough to get the 12 miles in there too. I'll take it as I see it. Hopefully get SOME miles in tomorrow.

I think I'll just have to write this week off, mileage wise.

Sunday 27th Mar
    Well I eventually got out for a run. :p
    It was late afternoon, so the sun was well out and it was pretty warm. But after missing yesterday, having such an early start this morning, and being cooped up in an auditorium for 5.5 hours, I was determined to get at least a few miles in. Ended up doing 6, but couldn't fit in any more than that as I had a mom's taxi run that needed doing:rolleyes:

Happy to fit that in though. Felt surprisingly OK, seeing as I hadn't had much to drink today and had nothing but a sandwich 4 hours before the run (...it's been a busy day! :p) Definitely felt like I could easily have gone on for a few more miles, so that's a positive.

So with abysmal mileage I'm just writing last week off. I'll take that as my as a 'step back' week. Out of sequence I know, but I'll just do last weeks miles this week instead. Hopefully there'll be no more emergencies to interfere with that plan. :D
    Summary 6 miles in 00:56:43
    Avg Pace: 09:27/mi

Plan for the coming week
    After last weekends disaster I'll be running that long run this weekend instead.
    The rest of the week will be as per the original plan

Mon| Pilates
    Tue| 5 m run
    Wed|5 x 800 10-K pace (~ 08:30 min/mi)
    Thu| Pilates + 3 miles
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|12 mi run (3/1)
    Sun| 5 mile

Monday 28th Mar
    Lunch time Pilates
    My poor little thighs were SHAKING after this one! Going to be feeling that tomorrow. :p

Tuesday 29th Mar
    The plan said 5 miles, but I was caught for time and only managed to fit in 4. Better than nothing I guess, and it loosened up the legs after yesterday's exertions.
    ...yeah, everything was sore this morning after the pilates! :o :eek:
    Summary 4 miles in 00:37:49
    Avg Pace: 09:26 min/mi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

...but you got out anyway, when you had two good excuses not to. Fair play.

Thanks brownian. Life has been really doing its best to get in the way of my running plans of late. I'm doing my best to ignore it! :D Not always easy though... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Life has a funny way of doing that! Sometimes I wonder whether I annoyed Holy God in a previous life... It doesn't look like I'll get the chance to let you drag me around another hilly run before Connemara unfortunately. The weekends have just flown by :eek: But if you fancy some company after it, you know where I am! :)

Wednesday 30th Mar
    5x800 mt intervals at 10k pace (about 08:30/mi)

D'ya know I almost found that easy!? :cool: Well, maybe not exactly easy, but definitely manageable. The cooldown was cut short as I had to dash back to pick up child #2, but I got all 5 intervals in, so pretty happy with it.

No.| Duration (sec) | Pace /mi
    1|256|08:34
    2| 255| 08:30
    3|256| 08:33
    4|258 | 08:37
    5|251| 08:22

Just shy of 2 minutes recovery between each.
    Nice and bright for the entire thing too. Love it! :D

Summary 4.84 miles in 00:44:47
    Avg Pace: 09:15 min/mi

Thursday 31st April
    Lunchtime Pilates - oww oww oww ouch! :D
    VERY tough but great fun. It's a really good group and there's always a bit of craic and a laugh.

Legs, thighs and shoulders were feeling it this evening, so my 3 miles were going to be very slow...
    SO, I took along my little running buddy from the St Patrick's 5k for some 'training'. We planned on running a half mile, walk for a minute and repeat 2 or 3 times, depending on what she was able for. It was a bit stop-start, but we were concentrating on form and pace and she managed fairly well. Finished up with some strides for a bit of fun (race against Mommy, yay!:))
    Summary 2.5 miles in some? time

250 miles done this year so far on March 31st.
    So with a quarter of the year gone, I've done a quarter of 1000 miles.
    Spot on for the 1000 miles in the year. :D

Saturday 2nd April
    Went for a drink last night on my rest day and ended up with a hangover this morning - it's not fair... I only had 2.5 pints!? :eek: :mad:

So the long run is moved to tomorrow, and I hauled my poor battered self out to a yoga workshop (previously signed up for) in the afternoon. Glad I did it - surprised I could actually manage it!

No running today though...

Sunday 3rd April
    12 miles LSR.
    Lovely run up around Killiney Coast road, into Dalkey and back. A bit hilly, but I took it handy and really quite enjoyed it. The hills didn't seem as bad as I remembered, and they're not a patch on those hill up around Carrickollogin and the Scalp. Still hills though... :D

As I said, I took it handy, so it was a bit on the slow side, but I was a bit 'off' heading out and really didn't even think I'd get to 8, never mind the 12, so really very happy with that. The 2nd 6 miles even seemed a bit easier that the 1st 6. Maybe it's because I did an out-and-back route and the way home was just psychologically easier?! :rolleyes: Who knows.

Lovely and sunny out there today. Not too hot, but bright and fresh and a great day for running. Lots of folks walking up around the beach and there were quite a few cyclists too. Everyone was so friendly and upbeat. It's amazing how the sun brings out everyone's good side.
    Summary 12 miles in 02:06:21
    Avg Moving Pace: 10:31 min/mi

Plan for the coming week

Mon| Pilates
    Tue| 5 m run
    Wed|4 x 1600 Race pace (~ 09:00 min/mi)
    Thu| Pilates + 4 miles
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|13 mi run (3/1)
    Sun| 5 m pace

3 weeks to D-day :eek: This might be a tricky week, as there's a few unavoidable engagements so the running may be pushed about a bit. Hopefully I'll still fit all in!

Emer911 wrote: »
    Plan for the coming week

Mon| Pilates
    Tue| 5 m run
    Wed|4 x 1600 Race pace (~ 09:00 min/mi)
    Thu| Pilates + 4 miles
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|13 mi run (3/1)
    Sun| 5 m pace

3 weeks to D-day :eek: This might be a tricky week, as there's a few unavoidable engagements so the running may be pushed about a bit. Hopefully I'll still fit all in!

Have a good one! :)

Tuesday 5th April
    5 miles today.
    Very warm out this evening. The car thermometer was saying 18c when I set off :eek: that's 18c - at 5:30pm - in April?! Sure that's mad Ted.
    And I had packed my running TIGHTS this morning, thinking it was going to be raining later... so that made for a very sticky, sweaty, clammy run. :pac:

I have to say it was pretty glorious though. It's fabulous running through the parks in the sunshine. LOADS of people out running. I do almost the same route, at about the same time each week, and generally might meet one, maybe two runners, but today I met about 12 - no exaggeration! There must be something in the air?

The run was fairly uneventful. Didn't have enough water on board for that heat, but as it was just 5 miles, it didn't affect me too much. As I said, it got a bit sticky from about 3 miles in, but there wasn't much I could do about that. Included a couple of laps of the track too, just for laughs.
    Summary 5 miles in 00:48:02
    Avg Pace: 09:36 min/mi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

The amount of runners out at the moments is crazy, great to see! :)

Advertisement