Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

jcsmum wrote: »
    The amount of runners out at the moments is crazy, great to see! :)

All hoping for a glimpse of those clammy tights...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

brownian wrote: »
    All hoping for a glimpse of those clammy tights...

Uugh! That's just wrong! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Emer911 wrote: »
    Uugh! That's just wrong! :eek:

Sorreee - I'm blaming it on the taper madness, rather than the innate madness :D

Wednesday
    As expected, the earlier than usual morning, stressful day and kiddie gym supervision evening, totally sapped my will to live - never mind run! :rolleyes:
    So watched the footie on the tellybox instead....

Thursday 7th April
    Pilates at lunchtime. We were on the last class of this 'term' so she decided to mix things up and do a "Power Pilates" session. 9 minute continuous sets - totally wrecked!! Usually this is a fairly calm class and as the movements are all small and precise, there's no sweating. Well not today!? :eek: I had to rush home after to shower before heading back to work. lucky I live relatively close Really good workout though (as always) :D

The run: 5 miles tempo(ish) in the park after work. Still bright and the park was great. The plan said 4 miles today, but as I missed the intervals yesterday, I decided to merge the two runs and did a kind of tempo session.
    Well, I did 1 mile warm-up and cool down and the middle three at about race pace, 09:04 /mi, 08:55 /mi, 08:58 /mi. Felt good, but tough.
    Summary 5.1 miles in 00:47:26
    Avg Pace: 09:17 min/mi

brownian wrote: »
    Sorreee - I'm blaming it on the taper madness, rather than the innate madness :D

Hmmm, taper madness gets the blame for a lot of things.... OK, forgiven (this time) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nice 5 miles Emer!

Saturday 9th April
    21K LSR, with emphasis on the S! :p
    It was warm and really sunny, and I did the route from Bray to Greystones and back via the cliff walk. Tough on the hills and I seemed to have a headwind most of the way!? Busy on the cliff walk with lots of people enjoying the sunshine and the views on offer. Didn't see much of them myself, cause I was keeping my eyes down and concentrating on my footing and not turning my ankle!
    Very tired at the end, but glad to have the distance under the belt.

Changed the pace and distance reading on the watch to kilometres instead of miles to get myself used to seeing those bigger numbers. I don't want to be giving myself a mental heart attack on race day when I see 14, 15, 16, etc. on the distance markers.

Only one more LSR between now and the race :rolleyes: :D
    Summary 21k (or 13.05 miles) in 02:18:01
    Avg Pace: 06:34 min/km (10:34 min/mi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Ooh so close now! Great running today - I probably won't see you before you go but maybe I'll see you for a run when you get back - I'm hoping to start a new plan in a couple of weeks time!

Sunday 10th April
    Another day spent doing Mom stuff. Most of the day spent in the gymnasium watching gym competitions. A successful (if stress inducing) day though, but that just means we've another competition to go to in May... :rolleyes:

No running done :( (and it was such a lovely day out too)

Plan for the coming week
    Last week of training before the 'taper' & travel week before the race.

Mon| Pilates
    Tue| 5 mi run
    Wed|6 x 800 10-k pace (~ 08:30 min/mi)
    Thu| Pilates + 5 mi run
    Fri|Rest
    Sat|10 mi run (3/1)
    Sun| 3 mi run

OH signed me up for a 10k in Knysna a week later?! No rest on this holiday at all then? :rolleyes::p

• Advertisement

Monday 11th April
    Lunchtime Pilates. Great class. A bit more easygoing than last Thursdays class :p. Thighs and arms targeted today, so I'm sure I'll feel that tomorrow... push-ups were never a favourite of mine :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

OH signed me up for a 10k in Knysna a week later?! No rest on this holiday at all then? :rolleyes::p

Lol that was very nice of him :D

How are you set? Training seems to be going really well for you.

Tuesday 12th April
    5 miles steady. When I started out it was bright and sunny, and when I finished it was belting down icy, stingy rain. Irish weather is rarely uneventful :rolleyes:.
    Grand run otherwise. I felt good.
    Was practising 'staying in the moment' and doing breathing exercises so the miles actually ticked off really quickly.
    Summary
    8.02km in 00:46:50
    Avg Pace: 05:50 min/km

or

4.98 miles in 00:46:50
    Avg Pace: 09:24 min/mi

shazkea wrote: »
    Lol that was very nice of him :D

How are you set? Training seems to be going really well for you.

Yeah, he's a very generous soul!:p

Training is going grand. I'm probably missing more runs than I'd like (only really doing 3 or 4 per week on average) but the miles are being ticked off and I seem to be in OK shape.
    Sure we'll see if I'm kidding myself in just over a week from now :eek::D

What race are you doing Emer, I must have missed your posted when you wrote that.
    Nice run on Saturday by the way. Always wondered what the Bray-Greystones cliff walk/run would be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

What's the plan for the half in SA Emer? It'll be some experience I'd say. You must be all excited! When are you heading there?

What race are you doing Emer, I must have missed your posted when you wrote that..

Doing the half marathon in Cape Town - Two Oceans

RubyK wrote: »
    What's the plan for the half in SA Emer? It'll be some experience I'd say. You must be all excited! When are you heading there?

The plan is to enjoy myself really. Going to make a stab at the sub 2 hours, but that'll depend on the heat and the hills - there's a 2.5k doozy of a hill that comes at about the 12th kilometre.

The race is on Saturday week. We're heading over on Wednesday, but it's about 18 hours travelling, door to door, so we'll need the couple of days recovery :D

Getting excited now, alright. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

It'll be fab Emer, and are great place to celebrate your sub2 half :D

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with the race Emer, it’ll be no bother to you with the training you’ve been doing. I’m definitely up for some self inflicted hilly torture in the next few weeks so we should organise something. Perhaps as a bit of post easter penance…:)

ooooooooh exotic! Am jealous now!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys! Really looking forward to it now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

ooooooooh exotic! Am jealous now!

Me too :). You've done the hard work so it will pay off for you on the day. Best of luck with it and really looking forward to reading your report.

BTW have to say thanks again! Dug up instructions you had given me before on setting up an interval workout on Garmin. I will try it out during the week and see how it goes.

Wednesday - Friday
    ...no running :(:o
    Partly my own fault (mostly?) but extenuating circumstances contributed! Parental responsibilities had to take precedence, but hey - that's life I guess? :rolleyes:

Saturday 16th April
    5 miles on a lovely warm sunny Saturday afternoon. A good run. Felt comfortable and strong. A nice confidence booster before the race next week.
    Summary 5.04 miles in 00:46:21
    Avg Pace: 09:12 min/mi

Sunday 17th April
    Beautiful sunny Sunday and headed off towards Enniskerry to Knocksink Wood for a leisurely run. On advice of a clown wiser then me I decided on an easy 8 miles, rather than the planned 10, so headed off to see what the woods would throw at me. There's a lovely loop path of about a mile, but I wandered off in search of adventure for the first few miles. Not a wise running move, 'cause I spent most of the time walking and scrambling over rough, muddy, overgrown half-tracks instead of running. Called that a day after the 3rd mile and stuck to the defined track for the rest of the run.
    It wasn't fast (really really!) but it was actually great fun and lovely to get to run with some new scenery. Thankful for the tree cover too, cause I found it really warm in the sunshine.

Nice run. Happy now. Last long run before we head off, so the count down is on. Can't wait :D
    Summary 8 miles in a very slow 01:29:33 :o:p

Plan for the coming week

Mon| Pilates & 3 miles
    Tue| 6 x 400 5-K pace / 30 min Tempo
    Wed|...travelling (for about 18 hours or so :eek:)
    Thu| Rest
    Fri|5k International Friendship Run
    Sat| Two Oceans Half Marathon :cool:
    Sun| R & R :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Just noticed your log!
    Two Oceans Half Marathon :cool:
    Best of luck in that. I'm very envious.

Nearly time...

Table%20Mountain_View%20of%20Cape%20Town.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck with it, sounds like an amazing race to do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck Emer :) Do you have a target in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck Saturday. Enjoy the trip.

Advertisement