Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Emer911 wrote: »

After each 0.2mi fast I did 0.1mi slow

I feel like such a wuss now with my .3mi recovery :o. Must have been the day for intervals. I really enjoyed mine today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

littlebug wrote: »
    I feel like such a wuss now with my .3mi recovery :o. Must have been the day for intervals. I really enjoyed mine today.

No such thing as a wuss when you're doing intervals!

Some days are good, some are terrible... I could do a small recovery because I was only doing 4, and only for 0.2 of a mile each time (about 320 meters). I'm sure I'll be needing more of a recovery when I up the distance and the number or repetitions. :)

Keep watching... :rolleyes: I'm sure there'll be a cr*p day soon enough!

Saturday Run in the plan was for 6 miles at pmp (somewhere between 9:40 and 10:19 - depending on whether I'm thinking 04:15 or 04:30 marathon). But I left the house later than I should have, and only ended up being able to do 4.5 miles, because I had to be back in time to play taxi-mom.

So I didn't get my full run in. :mad:
    My own fault for faffing about too much in the morning! I though about going out to do the last 1.5 later on, but Krusty advised me to try to do 2 of the LSR miles at the pmp instead (the last 2), because doing 1.5 at pmp wouldn't really benefit me.
    ...and we all do what Krusty tells us to! :D

As I said, my pmp is either 9:44 or 10:19 depending on the day ;). Today I felt like getting closer to 9:44 but I was all over the place! Really need to do some work on getting an even pace going. The 4.5 miles were as follows:
    Mile 1 avg pace 10:19 /mi (slight uphill & warmup, so okay with it)
    Mile 2 avg pace 09:17 /mi (slight downhill - a bit too fast though)
    Mile 3 avg pace 10:05 /mi (slight uphill, but not happy with this one)
    Mile 4 avg pace 09:21 /mi (too fast)
    last 0.5 avg pace 09:38 /mi (almost right, but too little too late?)

Overall average pace was bang on at 09:41 /mi, but sheer fluke!

Summary
    4.5 miles in 43:37 /mi
    Average pace 9:41 /mi

Sunday
    LSR day. 11 miles to do, and I picked a route that had plenty of shops on it, so I could buy water en route. And boy was I glad! What a scortcher (I'm not complaining!!:D )

Left the house around 11am, sunscreen duly applied, hat, glasses, money (for water) with a honey gel in my phoca. Decided to bring the gel, as I'm doing the strawberry half next week and wanted to be sure I was ok with the gel before that.

The route is up some lovely country lanes for the first 4 or 5 miles, then back via Carrickmines and Cabinteely park and the N11. A couple of hills, here and there, so a few little slow bits - all permitted on the LSR though.

It was a hot one out there alright, but felt ok. Got a passenger after about 25 minutes - a gnat flew straight down my throat and nearly choked me! :eek: Spent a few minutes trying to breath again. I think I eventually swallowed the little begger. Don't know if that's good or bad, but I guess you could call it extra protein?
    Stopped at a garage at mile 4 for a bottle of water, and took the gel at that point. Off again and down to cabinteely and through the park. LOADs of people out picnicing in the sunshine - lovely. Stopped for another bottle of water at mile 7 (very necessary).

Because I cut my pmp run short yesterday, I decided to try to do mile 9 and 10 at pmp and then cooldown for mile 11.
    Mile 9 went great. I managed to do 9:41 /mi pace, but that was slightly downhill. Mile 10 was upill all the way (+130 ft elevation) - not the best mile to pick for the pmp pace. Still, I managed 10:00/mi, even though it nearly wiped me and I had to walk for a few seconds after that!
    Mile 11 felt ok, and was actually fine finishing. Looking at the overall pace, I did go a bit faster than I should have. Average pace was about 10:30 (without the 2 pmp miles) and should have been about 10:45+, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it.:D

Should be grand for the half next week, but I'm only running it as a LSR - no racing for me!

Summary
    11 miles in 1:55:26
    Average pace 10:32 /mi

The plan for the coming week.
    Originally the LSR was a 12 miler, but I'm going to participate in the Enniscorthy Half on Sunday instead. Not racing though, just running that as a LSR.

Monday: | Swimming classes
    Tuesday: |6 mile run
    Wednesday: |Yoga
    Thursday: | 3 mile run (Intervals: 4x0.2mi)
    Friday: | Rest
    Saturday: | 6 mile comfortable run
    Sunday: | 13 miles LSR

• Advertisement

Week 5 of 18:

Monday swimming. The instructor was a bit harder on us this week and is starting to stretch out the endurance... I didn't find it too hard, which was surprising after the 11 mile run on Sunday, but was feeling a bit of a cramp threatening at the end.

Tuesday 6 miles. HH instructions were "Don't worry about the pace. Just cover the distance." Not that I took him literally, but it definitely wasn't a snappy pace!
    The legs just felt heavy and tired today. The motivation was fine - it was a lovely evening (if a bit more humid than I'd like) - but the body was not really up for it. Contemplated swapping the 6 for Thursdays 3 mile, but gave myself a talking to and got on with it :).

Glad to get it done, and happy that I persevered (and I even managed to keep going without resorting to walking).

Summary
    6 miles in 1:02:10
    Average pace 10:21 min/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Emer,

Well done so far. Your times are coming down nicely. Im in for Berlin also.

One thing I do which may be of benefit is strides the next run after a long run. I usually have a bit of slowness in the legs after my Long weekend run. I do 6 by 100 strides after the next run to get the pep back. These are fast but completely relaxed and controlled efforts (not sprints). Walk back recovery after each one.

This might be useful for after your tuesday run
    to prepare your legs for the faster session on thursday. Theyre useful if the legs are feeling sluggish but i guess if it aint broke dont fix it!

Ill be reading with interest. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Training looks like it's going well. Fair play to you. Best of luck on Sunday, I'd say it'll be a good one! I'd love to be doing it - there seems to be a great crowd heading down. Would definitely recommend new runners if you think you need them. It's probably all in my head but even so it was worth the investment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Fair play Emer looks like you're flying there! I'm Berlin bound as well in Sept so hopefully will be reasonably prepared in time. Best of luck with the rest of the training :)

claralara wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday, I'd say it'll be a good one! I'd love to be doing it - there seems to be a great crowd heading down.

Thanks claralara. As I said, I'm not going to be racing it, but looking forward to the run anyway. The descriptions on the website sound great!
    claralara wrote: »
    Would definitely recommend new runners if you think you need them. It's probably all in my head but even so it was worth the investment!

I think I may be heading to Bray soon for a spending spree :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday Yoga day.

Thursday 3 miles with intervals.
    Did 5 sets of 0.2 miles each with a mile warm up and a cool down to take me to 3 miles. Warm and humid out there though, but sure we can't complain about that!
    Intervals were done going up and back on the same stretch. The slight incline in one direction accounts for the pace difference every second set. They went as follows:

Avg pace: 7:55/mi, 7:24/mi, 7:45/mi, 7:25/mi, 7:49/mi
    Seconds per intervals: 94 /89 / 94 /89 / 92

Happy enough with that. They felt tough but I could keep going and the pace was consistent.

Finished off with a VERY slow half mile or so to cool down.

Summary:
    3.1 miles in 30:54
    Average pace 10:16

Rest day Friday and 6 miles comfortable run planned today, Saturday.
    Boy was that a nice day! A bit hot for running, especially as it almost mid-day by the time I got my ass in gear and got out there:D.

It was a slow start, slow in the middle and a slow finish, but it was steady at least. No niggles either - I was getting a few aches and some stiffness in a couple of spots, but it all seems to have sorted itself out. Amazing what a rest day will do:).

Summary
    6 miles in 01:01:20
    Avg Pace: 10:13 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 10:11 min/mi

BTW: does anyone have any tips on sunscreen? I'm a very pale redhead and burn in about 7 minutes:o if I've no protection.
    I currently use P20 which seems to do me ok as it doesn't sweat off, but I don't know if it'll be strong enough to withstand 2+ hours in the sun :eek: once the Longer LSR's start kicking in. I have some factor 50 creams but they just roll off as soon as I start sweating.
    All advice welcome!

I just use factor 50 myself (well that and avoid the strong sun:o). I must try p20.

enjoy tomorrow. Good luck with not racing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

BTW: does anyone have any tips on sunscreen? I'm a very pale redhead and burn in about 7 minutes:o if I've no protection.
    I currently use P20 which seems to do me ok as it doesn't sweat off, but I don't know if it'll be strong enough to withstand 2+ hours in the sun :eek: once the Longer LSR's start kicking in. I have some factor 50 creams but they just roll off as soon as I start sweating.
    All advice welcome!
    I'm a pale blonde that burns in a similar amount of time without protection. I use P20, but it doesn't really work too well for runs over 2 hours for me. I get around that by either running early in the morning or late in the evening when the sun isn't as strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I get around that by either running early in the morning or late in the evening when the sun isn't as strong.

Yeah, even leaving the sunburn aside (you could try P50?), the idea of doing doing 2 hours running in the midday heat... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck today!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done today Emer. You'll be flying by the time Berlin ticks around.

I'm a pale blonde that burns in a similar amount of time without protection. I use P20, but it doesn't really work too well for runs over 2 hours for me. I get around that by either running early in the morning or late in the evening when the sun isn't as strong.

It'd be lovely to be able to avoid the sun entirely, but what about running in Berlin in September for 4+ hours? It was really hot last year, and I definitely don't want to be burnt to a crisp (there'll be enough pain without that!)
    I'll keep looking for the perfect product...:rolleyes:

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, even leaving the sunburn aside (you could try P50?), the idea of doing doing 2 hours running in the midday heat... :eek:

I didn't know they did a P50 - I though 20 was the highest they did. Must keep my eyes open for that one!

Sunday LSR

Up at 7am on a Sunday?! Shouldn't be allowed! But up we got... <yawn>

Most of the gear was ready last night, so breaky, quick shower, last minute checks and we set off for Enniscorthy at about 7:45. Got to the car park (field) just before 9:00 and went to join the crew in the hotel where our number had already been collected for us (nice:D). I slapped on the sunscreen, and attached my number and chip, and out we went to the start.

As I was just doing this as a training run I wasn't in the least bit stressed or nervous, but there were a few jelly babies:P around us. My LSR pace is (should be) between 10:14 - 11:49 so the aim was to keep this steady and maintain my pace.
    The start line was a bit strange, with the walkers, runners and pacers all bunched up together, and when the gun went everyone hared it off down the road. I looked at my watch and noticed the pace was a wee bit fast and even with me consciously trying to slow down, the first two were done in 9:46 and 9:47. It was only when we left the town and I started running with a few girls that the pace settled down.
    I loved having the company for the run. The girls I was running with were both first timers and were very happy to stay at my pace, which was nice. Neither of them had a watch so I was calling the time and pace for them as we went. It's great to have a distraction! ;)
    The miles flew by (at about the 10:30ish pace) and it was a great run and a lovely day for it. It started off cloudy (it even rained before the start!) and stayed overcast until about mile 9 or 10 when the sun came out. The last 2 miles were in along the N11 - long straight road, no shelter or shade - and it was really hot. I think a lot of people really suffered on that stretch.
    I really enjoyed the run. The pace did pick up slightly towards the end of the last mile, and there had to be a sprint(ish) finish :D of course!

Great race. Congrats to the organisers.

Summary
    13.1 miles in 02:15:51
    Avg Pace: 10:21 min/mi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Well done on the pb! Sprint finishes are the way to go, give yourself a great memory to take home. Onwards and upwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on the half today. Great time especially since you were using it as an LSR and in this heat. I've reaaly enjoyed reading your logs. I've just started for the DCM training so you are a few weeks ahead of me so might use you as a good reference point :). Will def try out the interval training you do. Anyway best of luck with training and log.

Well done on the pb! Sprint finishes are the way to go, give yourself a great memory to take home. Onwards and upwards!

thanks DNHOP, but it wasn't a pb. Did Dublin in 2:10:xx last September. :)
    It is my 2nd best time though, and I was comfortable doing it, so that bodes well for Berlin (I hope:rolleyes:)

Great run Emer considering it was a(n) lsr for you. You could really do some damage racing a half now. Will you be racing one before Berlin?

You and MrEmer could earn a fortune if you were to charge for your pacing skills ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

thanks DNHOP, but it wasn't a pb.

Oops!:o Sorry, my brain is mush: so much talk of PB's, mixed with meeting so many different Boardies, including the newly-forever-to-be-known-as...
    littlebug wrote: »
    MrEmer
    :D

The plan for the coming week.
    A step back week, so the the mileage drops back to just 23 miles <phew:D>

Monday: | Swimming classes
    Tuesday: |5 mile run
    Wednesday: |Yoga
    Thursday: | 3 mile run (Intervals: 5x0.2mi)
    Friday: | Rest
    Saturday: | 6 mile at pmp
    Sunday: | 9 miles LSR

I know Monday was supposed to be for swimming, but my poor wee legs were just a bit tired after the weekend exertions, so I decided to give myself a rest instead.
    Did a few minutes with the foam roller before bed to ease things out a bit. Everything was much better this morning though, so it was worth missing the swim.

Tuesdays 5 miles were run in the park on the grass (as much as possible). It was a warm and humid evening, but I didn't find it all that bad, and actually felt OK doing the run, which surprised me somewhat.
    Finished up and did some strides - well sort of, my version of them anyway! - as suggested by one wiser than me. :D

Summary
    5 miles in 00:49:52
    Avg Pace: 09:58 min/mi

with an additional 0.45miles as strides after

Yoga on Wednesday was really tough this week. Maybe I was just a bit tired, but I found it hard going. Got through it though (without passing out, but it was a close thing:p) and did feel better after it. It really loosens out all the tendons and muscles that the running tightens up.

Thurday 3 miles with intervals.
    I did the same as last week, 1 mile warm up followed by 0.2mi intervals with 0.1 rest between, and a cool down to take me up to 3miles in total. I kept to the same (general) route so I could compare my runs a bit more accurately.
    ...that was the plan anyway.

I fupped up the 2nd interval on the garmin, and didn't set the lap correctly, so the lap distance was recorded as 0.21 and the pace is a bit off for that one.
    The intervals for this session looked like:
    pace: 07:35 / 08:15 / 07:43 / 7:57 / 07:26
    time(seconds): 91 / 102 / 95 / 96 / 88

Last weeks intervals were between 94 and 89, so not much of a change in the pace. The park was a bit busy, so I think I was probably not as even in my pace (dodging around all the kids/ bikes/ dogs/ etc:(), but my perception was that it definitely felt more manageable this week.
    I might change the interval distance next week... 0.2 mi is a bit of a random interval anyway (it's about 320mt). Think I'll up it to the more conventional 0.25mi (or 400mt) from next week, and then every second week do a longer 0.5mi interval (with less repetitions).

Feel free to shout if this looks like insanity on my part!:D

Summary
    3 miles in 00:31:44
    Moving Time: 00:27:23
    Avg Pace: 10:35 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 09:07 min/mi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Feel free to shout if this looks like insanity on my part!:D

Far from insanity.
    You have a very structured training plan - kudos to your coach.

I'm another who will be lining-up at the start line in Berlin, might see you there.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement

eliwallach wrote: »
    Far from insanity.
    You have a very structured training plan - kudos to your coach.

I'm another who will be lining-up at the start line in Berlin, might see you there.
    Best of luck.

Well my 'coach' is a bit of a mash-up of Hal Higdon, Runnersworld, and looking over the shoulders of some boardsies to rob ideas from their plans ;)
    The plan is basically HH Intermediate I, but with modifications.

As for Berlin, I think we'll do well to meet up / see anyone on the start line with about 40,000 runners taking to the historic city with us, but I'm sure there'll be a boards session planned for afterwards (assuming the body is capable of making it, and that ye all haven't gone home by the time I finish:D)

It's a long road to Berlin yet though! Lots of training to be done.
    Good luck with your training and roll on September.:p

Advertisement