Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on the PB. Great race tactically. It's always a tough choice as to whether to risk pushing on or not. Sometimes you just gotta go on faith. Sounds like you judged it perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

shazkea wrote: »
    Thought I saw your cap and plaits bobbing beside the balloons a couple of times on the course but was trying to catch my breathe every time I got near to balloons so never made it up to you!

Yeah, I'd say that was me alright. Sorry I never got to say Hi!
    You did Strawberry half last year, yeah? How would you compare course to yesterday if you can remember it. Trying to plan my next onslaught on sub 2 :rolleyes:

I did the Strawberry half last year, but just as a training run and can't really compare it to racing it. I do remember a 'rolling' kind of route, so don't know if it's be a PB contender. I did really enjoy the day though, as was obviously spotted, because they used my finishing pic on the website :cool::P

Good luck with your next goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Nice run & congrats on the time! So it's a new PB every few weeks from now on I assume :)

opus wrote: »
    Nice run & congrats on the time! So it's a new PB every few weeks from now on I assume :)

LOL
    Only in my dreams!? :D

Decided to revisit the BIG 8 goals that were thrown about at the beginning of the year, to see how I was getting on...

All VERY ambitious for me, but If I can get a few of them in 2011 and then work towards the rest later.

Main goal for the first half of 2011 was the sub 2 hour half marathon. (done :p)
    Main goal for the second half of 2011 is the 4 hour marathon. (gulp :eek:)

Distance | Goal time | Current Best @ Jan 2011| 2011 Best
    1 mile | 7 mins | 8:06 (at -15C on 25/12/2010) | -
    3k | 14 mins| - | -
    5k | 25:00| 25:22 (Boards 5k 2010) | -
    5miles | 40:00 | 45:51 (Dublin Irish Runner 5mi 2009) | -
    10k | 50:00| 54:xx* | -
    10miles | 01:30:00| 01:40:xx (Dublin adidas 10mi 2009) | 01:29:22 (Ballycotten 2011)
    Half Marathon | 02:00:00 | 02:10:xx (Dublin adidas HM 2009) | 01:57:33 (Kildare 2011)
    Marathon | 04:00:00 | 04:24:12 (Berlin 2010) | -

It's coming on...

*My 10K PB is a bit of a mess. I've a 54:xx from the Roscommon 10K a few years ago, and a 51:26 for the Limerick "10K" last year, but as that turned out to be about 9.4K I can't count it. :mad:

• Advertisement

Monday 16th May
    Rest. All feeling very tight and achy today so begged off the pilates.

Tuesday 17th May
    A nice easy 4 miles as a recovery run. Sunshine was an unusual and unexpected bonus. I was sure it was going to bucket down for the afternoon, but the sun was out, it was warm and (a little too) humid. Did my regular route around the parks but kept it (very) slow. Still a bit tight around the hips and thighs, but the calves aren't too bad, especially given the cramps and knots they were in on Sunday. Happy enough with that.
    Summary 4 miles in 00:38:54
    Avg Pace: 09:43 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Emer911 wrote: »

I did the Strawberry half last year, but just as a training run and can't really compare it to racing it. I do remember a 'rolling' kind of route, so don't know if it's be a PB contender. I did really enjoy the day though, as was obviously spotted, because they used my finishing pic on the website :cool::P

Good luck with your next goal!

Cool, thanks - had a good look at the elevation profile so will consider it. Saw the pic too so hopefully I will recognise you at the next race...and have the lungs (and legs!!) to run up beside you :D

Saw the pic too so hopefully I will recognise you at the next race...and have the lungs (and legs!!) to run up beside you :D

...I look forward to it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Fantastic going there Emer - some great race reports! Kildare sounded like a piece of cake to you - I must examine your log with care before my next half marathon attempt! And you're really starting to tick off those goals - brilliant stuff!

The home stretch of the Kildare Half

Oh the pain... Calves were in bits at this point, cramp and spasm at every step, but the finish line was just ahead.

I'm actually surprised the grimace isn't as obvious as I'd though. :p

KILB0848.jpeg
    C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5Citbhynee.FRIENDSFIRST%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CKildare%20Half%202011.bmp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Emer, great report and great PB. Sounds like a really well deserved time and fair play to you for keeping going towards the end.
    Not easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You look just like your avatar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

The home stretch of the Kildare Half

Oh the pain... Calves were in bits at this point, cramp and spasm at every step, but the finish line was just ahead.

I'm actually surprised the grimace isn't as obvious as I'd though. :p

C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5Citbhynee.FRIENDSFIRST%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CKildare%20Half%202011.bmp

Twas def you I saw beside the balloons - I rem the orange t-shirt now :)

My photos are brutal and won't be making those public!! Either I have a look of disappointment on my face or this weird shocked look - must remember to smile for cameras no matter what :rolleyes:

Wednesday 18th May
    Rest. Did some foam rolling on my left calf - it was feeling very tight, and after the roller it was feeling very tender :p

Thursday 19th May
    Pilates at lunchtime. Last class of the set so we did another 'power' session. Not as sticky as the last time, but hard work. Felt good. Lots of tummy toning. Sure I'll be looking great for the summer at this rate :D

Friday 20th May
    Toyed with the idea of going for a short leg loosener, but went to the cinema instead!? :rolleyes: Johnny Depp, brilliant as ever as Captain Jack Sparrow.

Saturday 21st May
    6.5 miles very easy. Went from Blackrock to Sandymount strand and back. First time I've actually ran on the strand and it was a bit strange. The sand was all in ridges where the tides had shifted it about. Interesting to run on...
    Felt ok, no niggles in the legs, so I think I'm reasonably recovered from the race last week.
    Summary 6.5 miles in 01:03:07
    Avg Pace: 09:42 min/mi ...told you it was slow :o

Sunday
    Rest (sort of)
    Sent the day in the Gym watching the Womens National Apparatus Gymnastics finals. Long day, but productive. My wee one got gold in her category and the club cleaned up - wall to wall medals! :cool:
    Met racheljev there too. Her little one was competing and also took home a medal. (Congrats on that Rachel!)

So celebratory dinner to follow, and no running.

The new plan starts tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Great to meet you yesterday Emer, delighted our girls did so well! Niamh asked me to delete the video of her on bars, she reckons it'll give her grandparents a shockin' fright - almost as much as it gave me :eek: Well done to your wee woman, two golds, happy days :)

Monday 23rd May
    Pilates. Another "power" pilates class. Fun, intense, exhausting. Great class. Signed up again for the next set. :D

Tuesday 24th May
    4.5ish miles steady. Late and rushing about this morning so forgot to pack my watch, my shades and my tunes - doh! :rolleyes: - but at least I had my runners, right?
    Did my usual run around the parks, so that's somewhere around the 4.5 miles. It was quite warm too. Very sunny, and thankfully the wind stayed reasonably normal for the few minutes I was out. Phew! Legs were a bit tight after the pilates yesterday, but nothing that held me back. Fairly steady run. Happy with that.
    Summary 4.5(ish) miles in 40(ish) minutes (I think - all very rough estimates)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'm catching up with everyone slowly but surely at the minute - just wanted to wish you a belated congratulations on a savage run in Kildare! You ran a brilliant time! Well done!
    The new plan starts tomorrow :D

Does the new plan have an end goal? Elaborate please...:)

claralara wrote: »
    I'm catching up with everyone slowly but surely at the minute - just wanted to wish you a belated congratulations on a savage run in Kildare! You ran a brilliant time! Well done!

Does the new plan have an end goal? Elaborate please...:)

Thanks.

The new plan is to take me to Chicago Marathon on October 9th. 18 weeks starting from next Monday, so this week is to just get me back to regular running again. I've been on a bit of a go-slow since Kildare :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Nada - Rein - Nothing at all.

Thursday 26th May
    Pilates at lunchtime. The usual torture :p but with added hand weights! Probably won't be able to lift my arms tomorrow.

4 miles steady evening run. The weather was unreal this evening. It was bucketing down and looked like a November day when I was leaving work, and I was dreading the soaking I was going to get. Got home, got the gear on and the weather had changed (thank bod!) Sun was out again, and no sign of rain. Whoopee!
    Did a loop around the back roads and onto the N11. Boy was that some wind! I had to turn my head sideways at one point 'cause it was taking the breath from my mouth! :eek:
    Finished in one piece, still breathing and not soaking, which was nice.
    Summary 4.01 miles in 00:37:49
    Avg Pace: 09:26 min/mi

p.s. can anyone do anything about that bl00dy wind? It seems like we've had this forever! Calm sky's again, please?

Saturday 28th May
    7.5 mile LSR - well, can I really call it 'L' if it's only 7.5 miles? :rolleyes:
    Done anyway. Ran the hills around the back of Shankill, which I haven't done in ages. It was great. Still challenging, but a lovely bright (if a bit windy) saturday morning, and sure what else would you be at? :D
    Great start to the day of sporting madness (come on Leinster! Up Barcelona/ Manchester United [I'm neutral so delete as appropriate])

Had a near miss on the run though. Coming along a fairly narrow, bendy road some eejit in a silver nissan micra (with an L sticker) came tearing up the road and nearly took me out of it. :eek: There was no ditch to jump into/onto, so I just turned sideways and tried to make myself as narrow as possible. I swear, if my feet were 2 sizes bigger the gobdaw would have driven over them! :mad: Thing is, I'm always wary on that road because there are a few blind corners, but this was on a straight stretch and s/he had no excuse! And I didn't get the reg cause I was so shaken.

But I'm ok. No harm done, other than psychological. The rest of the run was good though, slow, but good.

now when does the rugby start... :D
    Summary 7.5 miles in 01:13:59
    Avg Pace: 09:51 min/mi

Sunday 29th May
    3 miles in the park with some company on her rollerblades. Lovely and sunny, but still quite windy - roller-girl was having trouble in places almost getting blown backwards! She took a couple of pitstops, so my run was a bit stop/start and the pace was a bit run/jog very slowly.
    Had intended doing about 4 miles, but 3 was all she had in her, so we headed for home after that. Still a lovely run. It's such fun when you're just taking it easy and have time to enjoy the outdoors, the sunshine and the fresh air.

Slow run, shorter than I'd have liked, but thoroughly enjoyable!:D

It's too nice to stay inside. I'm off to walk Bray head with the fambly now... :cool:
    Summary 3.1 miles in 00:29:46
    Avg Pace: 09:36 min/mi

Monday 30th May
    Pilates at lunchtime. Nothing too bad, but we were concentrating on the hips / sideline, so might be feeling that tomorrow.
    No running today.

Plan for the week

OK. Back to planning. Chicago 18 weeks plan starts next Monday with a 26 mile week, so I need to get some miles on the clock. Did just shy of 20 miles last week, this week should get me to about 22 or so, and it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to week 1.:o

Of course the Bank Holiday weekend should make it interesting :rolleyes:
    And I've some travel on Thursday and Friday...
    Let the challenge begin :p

Monday |Pilates
    Tuesday| 4 m run
    Wednesday |6 x 400 (7:50 p/m)
    Thursday | Pilates
    Friday| rest
    Saturday| 8.5 m
    Sunday |4 m run

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I need to start avoiding yours and the clowns logs.

Ooooh we went to the two oceans, oooh we're going to Chicago. :pac:

Not. Jealous. At. All. :(

I need to start avoiding yours and the clowns logs.

Ooooh we went to the two oceans, oooh we're going to Chicago. :pac:

Not. Jealous. At. All. :(

Ah... that's the joys of being that bit older (just a bit!) and not having to pay crèche fees anymore! :D

Tuesday 31st May
    4 miles in the plan for today, but the weather was fab, the mood was good and my time was my own, so I decided to add another mile. And then I had to take it to the 0.5 of a mile just to round it out.
    A successful run. Felt good, felt easy. Nice. :D
    Summary 5.5 miles in 00:51:34
    Avg Pace: 09:22 min/mi

400 miles on the button for this year so far. Wohoo! :D
    That's 75 miles more than this time last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Plan for the week

Monday |Pilates
    Tuesday| 4 m run
    Wednesday |6 x 400 (7:50 p/m)
    Thursday | Pilates
    Friday| rest
    Saturday| 8.5 m
    Sunday |4 m run

Any plans for your Saturday run yet? 8.5 fits into my plan nicely if you fancy some company (as long as you're not planning too fast a pace for me!)

Advertisement