Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Super running today Emer - sounds like it was a piece of cake to you and it's nice to nail a PB on a training run! Imagine what you could do if you were really racing it!

Good luck with your 20-miler tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sunday 21st Aug
    20 mile LSR.
    Phew! That was a tough one. The legs were definitely a tad tired from the 10 miles at pace yesterday, and I was a bit nervous from the tummy perspective after my issues on the long run last week. I planned this one to make sure there were accessible toilets en route, so set off with a bottle of water in hand and some new sports jellies to try out (I have a feeling the gels aren't really agreeing with me).

It was a slow slog, but the jellies were very tasty and didn't seem to effect my tummy at all. It was very warm out there, so I had the full 500ml bottle of water gone by the 4th mile. Picked up another at a shop around the 7th mile, and a final bottle at mile 16. The jellies were consumed with relish along the way.

The run was ok. The legs were very tired by 13 or 14 and it was a mental battle just to keep them moving and keep the momentum going. It was slow, it wasn't pretty, but it got done. Thankfully no tummy troubles either. I think I'll invest in a few more packs of those jellies though.

Back home to a cold bath, a hot shower, some good grub and plenty of fluids (I'll keep away from the beer for a couple of hours ;))
    Summary 20 miles in 03:27:33
    Avg Pace: 10:22 min/mi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done on your 20miles, I'll be doing the same (hopefully!) next week. What are the sport jellies and where did you get them - I've tried regular jelly babies and fruit sweets but I don't think I'm getting enough from them. I'm very willing to try new things :)

racheljev wrote: »
    Well done on your 20miles, I'll be doing the same (hopefully!) next week. What are the sport jellies and where did you get them - I've tried regular jelly babies and fruit sweets but I don't think I'm getting enough from them. I'm very willing to try new things :)

The jellies were Jelly Belly Sports beans
    I was given these, but was told they're readily available in most sports speciality shops (cycle shops etc.) Don't know if they're actually any better than normal jellies, but they are just as tasty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Fair dues - I only managed 3 miles today and I've struggled to move since!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great weekends running Emer. The jelly shots aren't bad either - prefer them to the gels myself, they're just a little more awkward to carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great training and racing Emer911 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

That's a great weekends' running Emer. I was talking to MrEmer yesterday, he told me of your schedule, its very impressive, you've made great strides recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Can't believe you did 20 miles yesterday. Talk about making some of us look bad! :rolleyes:
    Your race report was great. I love the t-shirt colour too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

A great weekend running there Emer, fair play to you! Congrats on the PB too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's a great weekends' running Emer. I was talking to MrEmer yesterday, he told me of your schedule, its very impressive, you've made great strides recently!
    Where's the 'no-thanks' button? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats on the PB ! 20 miles the day after. You'll tear Chicago up if you get any decent weather.

Awe, thanks for all the lovely posts. I was pretty tired today, but all the nice encouraging comments helps to put it all into perspective. :D

Plan for the week
    Step back week <phew>

Monday | No Pilates so rest day :D
    Tuesday| 5 miles
    Wednesday|6 miles
    Thursday|5 miles
    Friday|Rest
    Saturday|6 miles pmp
    Sunday|12 miles

Tuesday 23rd
    I'm off work this week to spend some quality time with the sprogs before the school term starts back, but do you think that means a lie in? No such luck!
    Yesterday morning I was out of bed at 6am to see my sis and her family off on the boat back to Eng-a-land (they've been on a wee holiday in the 'auld sod), and this morning I was dropping my OH to the airport for 8am as he has a week on foreign soil with work <sniff> (so up at 7am)

Maybe I'll get that elusive lie in tomorrow?:rolleyes:

But we were making use of the holiday time and the remainder of the family went rafting on the Liffey for the morning. Mad craic! The water levels were quite low, so we had to get out and walk the raft over 2 of the weirs, but it was such a laugh. We were skidding down one weir on our bums, and running down it and cannon-balling into the deeper water. Brilliant fun. I think the shoulders and arms might be giving out tomorrow cause we were paddling for about 7 km.

...well it's a training log so I can count the rafting!

So this afternoon I got on my shorts and dragged my tired sorry a$$ around 5 miles in the local park. It was slow, and the legs felt very heavy, but it's a step back week so they should be well recovered before next weeks big mileage (again).
    Summary 5 miles in 00:50:14
    Avg Pace: 10:02 min/mi (well I did say it was slow!)

Thursday 25th Friday 26th

Supposed to go running yesterday but after the days excursions we returned home to Thunder, lashings of rain and hailstones the size of duck eggs (no exaggeration)! So I made an executive decision to postpone the run. Got up this morning, drank a glass of water and hit the roads before I could have second thoughts.
    It wasn't actually as bad as I thought it was going to be. I felt ok and even though the first (slightly uphill) mile was slow the rest went fine.
    Summary 5 miles in 00:47:41
    Avg Pace: 09:32 min/mi

Saturday 27th Aug
    6 miles at pace.

Warm morning out there (and no rain, which was nice for a change) . The run went surprisingly well, considering. The first mile was tough, as usual and came in just over the desired pace (09:07/mi), but the total average was spot on. Happy enough with that one.
    Summary 6 miles in 00:53:11
    Avg Pace: 08:51 min/mi

Sunday 28th
    12 mile LSR

The plan was to head out for my run at about 11:00 (got up a bit late) but then the World Championships distracted me and it was after 13:00 when I eventually dragged myself out. :rolleyes:

It was REALLY sunny when I set off and I was glad of the shades, cap and sunscreen. Didn't bring any money for water, but the route I was doing could be easily redirected to pass the house if I needed to. By the 4th mile the heat was starting to get to me and I was mentally re-jigging my route, but the clouds came in and as I hit mile 6, the heavens opened and a welcome rain started to fall. Nothing too heavy, but enough to cool me down. So I kept going.

I started to feel really hungry around mile 8 (thanks to my late start), and at mile 10 I thought my tummy was going to ingest itself :D. Kept the legs ticking over but stuck into a Mars Chocolate Milk as soon as I stepped in the door. Nice :P

12 miles done in a very uneventful manner. Nice gentle running.
    Summary 12.01 miles in 01:57:46
    Avg Pace: 09:48 min/mi

A new challenge thrown into the mix. My daughter decided that we should both do the 100 pushups challenge - don't ask me why :rolleyes:
    She can already out pushup me - I got to 13, she got 20 :eek::o, but we're both doing the same plan.
    We did week one, day one today:

DAY 1
    REST 60 SECONDS BETWEEN EACH SET (LONGER IF REQUIRED)
    SET 1|10
    SET 2 | 12
    SET 3 | 7
    SET 4 | 7
    SET 5 |max (at least 9)

Pooped after that.

Day 2 will be covered on Tuesday and Day 3 on Friday.
    DAY 2
    REST 90 SECONDS BETWEEN EACH SET (LONGER IF REQUIRED)
    SET 1 | 10
    SET 2 | 12
    SET 3 | 8
    SET 4 | 8
    SET 5 |max (at least 12)

DAY 3
    REST 120 SECONDS BETWEEN EACH SET (LONGER IF REQUIRED)
    SET 1 | 11
    SET 2 | 15
    SET 3 | 9
    SET 4 | 9
    SET 5 |max (at least 13)

Lets see how far we get before she gets tired of it ;)

Plan for the week

Monday | Pilates
    Tuesday| 4 miles
    Wednesday|9 miles
    Thursday|Yoga
    Friday|Rest
    Saturday|10 miles pmp
    Sunday|20 miles

I'm starting a yoga class this week on Thursday evenings so I'm abandoning the run on that day. I don't think it'll make that much difference and I think the required effort for the yoga will probably be greater than that of a 4 or 5 mile easy run.

• Advertisement

Monday 29th Aug
    Lunchtime Pilates. Good tough class.

Tuesday 30th Aug
    4 miles in the park. Nothing eventful. Legs were fine, lungs were fine. Probably a bit fast for the mid week run but it felt (relatively) easy so I kept plugging.
    Summary 4 miles in 00:36:15
    Avg Pace: 09:03 min/m

Followed by Week1Day2 of the pushup challenge :rolleyes:

REST 90 SECONDS BETWEEN EACH SET (LONGER IF REQUIRED)
    SET 1 10
    SET 2 12
    SET 3 8
    SET 4 8
    SET 5 max (at least 12)

Totally pooped now :P.

Wednesday 31st Aug
    9 mile midweek run
    I was fitting this one in while the wee one was at her gym club, so I really thought I'd have to cut it short. Did a 7 mile circuit and got back to the gym with 15 minutes to spare so just kept going. The last half mile was in loops around the outside of the building, as the girls were due to be finished. I bet I looked like a total loon! Got the whole lot done though, which was nice.

Cool enough this evening, so it was actually a lovely run. Pity about all the concrete pavements, traffic and crossroads :rolleyes: but beggars can't be choosers.
    Summary 9 miles in 1:24:46
    Average Pace: 09:25/mi

Thursday 1st Sept
    Yoga class. Missed the 1st of the course last week (oops!), and this weeks class left me feeling wobbly-legged and sweaty... lovely!:D
    Great class.

Friday 2nd Sept
    W1D3 of the 100 Push-Up Challenge.
    ...she didn't forget yet. So the mat came out and we did Day 3.
    120 seconds between sets:

11 - 15 - 9 - 9 - 13+

Funny that only last Sunday I maxed out at 13, but I got to 15 (I won't say easily) today and could still do more. Hurting now though, although more from the yoga than the push-ups.

Going to Waterford tomorrow to support the National HM.

Year to date mileage check.

From January to end of August this year I've run 780.57 mi
    For the same period last year I had logged 694.38 mi.

...so that's good. :D

Saturday 3rd Sep
    Plan 10 miles
    Actual 9.84 miles

Went to Waterford (as chauffeur & supporter) for the National Half Marathon Championships. Went to college there in the ancient past, so did my 10 miles around the town visiting old familiar spots. Problem is, nothing was familiar :rolleyes:. It's SUCH a different place to what I remember. Sill it was nice to run around it.
    Got a bit "lost" at one point when a road I was on seemed to go on forever and I thought I was en route to Cork:eek:, but it eventually came out where I assumed it would - phew!
    Got back to the car at 9.84 and the HM finishers were already coming in so I called it a day, stuck on my warm clothes and went to shout them all home.

The running was a bit slow, but I was having a bit of a goo and wasn't really paying attention to the pace :o:p. Lots of traffic lights and road crossings too, which didn't make it easy to keep the pace up.
    Took some Sports Jelly Beans and had a bottle of water with me.
    Summary 9.84 mi in 01:34:13
    Avg Pace: 09:34 min/mi

Sunday 4th Sep
    20 16 mile LSR

OK. It was supposed to be 20, I had a 20 mile route planned, I had the sports jellies and the water bottle with me. I ran out through Stepaside and on to Marley Park, back through Sandyford Industrial Estate and the plan was to wind my way back via Cabinteely and the N11.
    Right.
    When I left the house it was cool and dry, with very little wind. Perfect conditions. Took it slow and easy, and even thought there were a few choice hills I was feeling grand. Took a few of the jellies after mile 4 and again at about 6. By mile 8 the rain was starting and as I run over a (very exposed) bridge over the M50 at Ballinteer, the wind also made it's presence known. :( Still, I ran on and didn't mind it. I actually prefer a bit a rain on a long run, it keeps me cooler and helps me not to get dehydrated.

But by the time I hit Marley Park at the 10th mile, the rain was atrocious! It was pelting down and the 'rivers' in the road were swelling. Stopped for a toilet break and took some more of the Jellies. I was totally soaked at this point and the shoes were sloshing on every step. But I was 10 miles from home...

The next few miles were not fun. I ploughed on. I couldn't feel my hands (from the cold /rain) but I could feel the blisters forming on my poor wet cold tootsies. Every car that passed sent a sheet of water up over me. I was feeling very sorry for myself.
    The planned route home took me near my sister-in-law's house. I decided to see if she was in and beg for a lift home. I know, I know. It's these hard runs that build character, but I was considering the hypothermia when making this decision, so bail is what I did. Knocked on her door, she took me in, I had a hot shower, she gave me dry clothes and drove me home - she's a saint!
    I have the feeling back in all my extremities and there's only a couple of baby blisters on the toes, which should be grand after a day or two. No permanent damage so :p

Of course, I'm sitting here now and the sun is out and it's a cracking evening. Typical!:rolleyes:

So maybe I'll regret not getting this 20 miler done. But I've done one already, and there's another one planned for 2 weeks time, so it's not the end of the world. I've had a good training run in general and haven't missed many runs so I'm giving myself a break on this one.

On a positive note, the Sports Jellies are now my preferred energy boost. No tummy issues with them. Might need to up the intake though. Took one packet today between 4 and 14 miles and was feeling a bit hungry, so I'll try 2 packs on the next long run.
    Summary 16 miles in 02:44:37
    Avg Pace: 10:17 min/m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

I hear you; horrible day out there earlier and now it's fab. Your training has being going great so don't be too harsh on yourself for a few miles. As you say its not the end of the world and the next 20 miler will be a breeze (hopefully not literally!)

Plan for the week

Monday | Pilates
    Tuesday| 5 miles
    Wednesday|6 miles
    Thursday|Yoga
    Friday|Rest
    Saturday|6 miles pmp
    Sunday|12 miles

Monday 5th Sep
    Did my lunchtime Pilates and followed that up with a nice relaxing swim in the evening to loosen up the legs. Felt good.
    With the swim, we forgot about the pushups, so that'll have to happen tomorrow, Thursday and maybe Saturday.

The Week2 Push Up plan is:
    DAY 1 | 60 seconds between each set
    SET 1 |14
    SET 2 |14
    SET 3 |10
    SET 4 |10
    SET 5 |max (at least 15)

DAY 2 | 90 seconds between each set
    SET 1|14
    SET 2|16
    SET 3|12
    SET 4|12
    SET 5|max (at least 17)

DAY 3 |120 seconds between each set
    SET 1 |16
    SET 2 |17
    SET 3 |14
    SET 4 |14
    SET 5 |max (at least 20)

• Advertisement

Monday - later...

Finally got off my lazy butt and did my W2D1 of the Push Up Challenge. Found that very tough, which does not bode well for the rest of the weeks challenge :eek:
    But it did get done. :rolleyes:

DAY 1 | 60 seconds between each set
    SET 1 |14
    SET 2 |14
    SET 3 |10
    SET 4 |10
    SET 5| max (at least 15)

Advertisement