Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Friday was a welcome rest day, so I had one (ickle) glass of wine and stayed up way too late watching rubbish on TV?!
    Will I never learn:rolleyes:?

Didn't get out of bed until really late this morning so ended up starting my Saturday 6 mile pace run at an unbelievably late 13:30<doh!> :o And did I pay for that! It was really muggy and humid, but at least it was sunny and everyone I passed was in great form, smiling and nodding 'Hello'. Very pleasant.

Pace run today. The plan has my marathon pace at 10:19 /mi for a 04:30:00 marathon, or for 04:15:00 the pace is should be 9:44 /mi. After a week feeling strong and comfortable, I thought I'd aim for the 4:15 pace of 9:44/mi, and see how that went.
    Started off fine, didn't feel the heat and the pace seemed fine. I did the first few in 9:44 or less, but mile 4 and 5 were tough and I actually had to stop mid way through both miles for a brief breather, as the heat and the dehydration got the better of me. But I tried to keep the pace, regardless and finished (gratefully) with only the one of the miles (at mile 5) dipping below the pmp.

Mile 1 00:09:44
    Mile 2 00:09:35
    Mile 3 00:09:36
    Mile 4 00:09:37
    Mile 5 00:09:48
    Mile 6 00:09:42

Summary
    6 miles in 00:58:06
    Avg Pace: 09:40 min/mi

Strange that this was slower than my 10K time but it felt really tough today?!
    I think my eventual marathon pace might be just a tad slower than this, but sure I'll keep going and maybe I'll surprise myself?:P If worst comes to worst I know I can hold the 10:19 min/mi easy(ish) enough so the 04:30 should definitely be achievable.

And it's just 9 miles for tomorrows LSR (I love the step back week;)).

9 miles LSR and the plan was to keep the pace even and slow, aiming for about 11:00 min/mi.

The forecast said sunny and windy, with scattered showers. Well there were NO showers - not really any cloud to speak of - but the sun and the wind definitely made their presence felt!
    As usual, I was all decked out in my sunscreen, shades and cap, for maximum sun protection. 2 miles into the run, the cap went flying! Of course I had to retrieve it, so I'm sure I made a comical figure chasing it down the N11. Thankfully it didn't blow into the road, so I didn't cause any accidents or anything ;). All I could do was laugh. Sure you can't be prepared for everything.

It was hot and sticky out there. Stopped for water at about mile 3. I had to take a 750ml bottle as none of the smaller ones had sports caps. Wasn't too happy about having to lug that weight around for the next 6 miles, but I was actually glad of it in the end, and had the whole thing drank by the end of mile 7 (did I mention it was hot out there?)

All in all I enjoyed the run. I was going easy, of course, so I think it might have been a different thing if I was pushing the pace.

Summary
    9 miles in 01:38:06
    Avg Pace: 10:53 min/mi

As there were a number of roads to cross on this, I'm recording the moving time/pace too.
    Moving Time: 01:36:44
    Avg Moving Pace: 10:44 min/mi

The plan for the coming week.
    Bumping up the mileage this week after last weeks step back. Midweek runs go from 6 to 7 and 3 to 4. LSR on Sunday will be 14 miles- my longest run EVER, though I think there'll be a few more of those by the time September is done:D

Monday: | Swimming classes
    Tuesday: |7 mile run
    Wednesday: |Yoga
    Thursday: | 4 mile run (Intervals: 5x0.25mi)
    Friday: | Rest
    Saturday: | 7 mile at pmp
    Sunday: | 14 miles LSR

Monday swimming class. With the summer season drawing in the classes were all rationalised so we ended up with a mixed level group. Way too easy! Felt a bit cheated actually:(.

Tuesday mid week 7 miler. That was a tough one for a Tuesday! It was really windy this evening and there was even a big rain cloud threatening - though it didn't rain while I was out. I didn't have a goal pace in mind, just wanted to see how I felt. Well I felt tired! The first 2 miles felt hard, the next 2 were worse (headwind all the way:mad:) the 5th and 6th mile felt almost comfortable, and the last one was in the familiar and comfortable surroundings of Shangannagh park, so even though I was fecked, I kept it going and finished reasonably well.
    Tough run for a Tuesday! But I guess this is where the hard work starts? :)

Summary
    7 miles in 01:13:44
    Avg Pace: 10:31 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Emer911 wrote: »
    And it's just 9 miles for tomorrows LSR (I love the step back week;)).

Ah Emer I'm laughing at this...just 9 miles! My lsr this week is 9 miles and I'm bricking it. Please tell me I will get to the stage where I can say it's "just x miles" soon...

• Advertisement

shazkea wrote: »
    Ah Emer I'm laughing at this...just 9 miles! My lsr this week is 9 miles and I'm bricking it. Please tell me I will get to the stage where I can say it's "just x miles" soon...

I was that soldier not too long ago...:D When you get to 13 miles, 9 looks easier - promise!

It's 'only 9 miles' because I can see the longer LSR's coming down the line. 14 this week and 15 the week after <gulp!> :eek:

Good luck with the LSR this week.

I was that soldier not too long ago...:D When you get to 13 miles, 9 looks easier - promise!

It's 'only 9 miles' because I can see the longer LSR's coming down the line. 14 this week and 15 the week after <gulp!> :eek:

Good luck with the LSR this week.

You know I'm going to hold you to that promise!!

Good luck with those lsr's. I haven't looked that far ahead in the schedule because I would only scare the bejaysus out of myself.
    When is Berlin btw - month or so before DCM?

shazkea wrote: »
    When is Berlin btw - month or so before DCM?

Yeah, it's about a month before. It's on September 26th.
    So I guess my training should be about a month ahead of yours?
    You're welcome to watch me in my pain in anticipation ;).
    I'll try to keep it positive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Emer
    Am reading your log with interest, well done on the long runs! I'm on week 4 of the HH half marathon training programme. The long run for this week is 5 miles! :D - a distant memory for you!!
    Best of luck with the training for Berlin

Yeah, it's about a month before. It's on September 26th.
    So I guess my training should be about a month ahead of yours?
    You're welcome to watch me in my pain in anticipation ;).
    I'll try to keep it positive :D

Lovely, I will be taking you up on that offer. If you could keep it positive that would be great but don't be afraid to warn me about a few things either :p. Meanwhile you can watch my log and laugh about how you used to be there but are sooo much better now!

• Advertisement

Didn't go to Yoga on Wednesday :o
    Was doing supervision duties for the wee one's gym club so didn't get anything to eat and was starving by the time we got home. The though of not getting dinner until after yoga (at about 9:45!), when lunch was a distant memory (from about 12:30) was not going down well, so I made an executive decision :p and just ate dinner instead?!
    Guilt got a slight hold later on and I did a 30minute yoga session in the other room while the boys watched the football. Not exactly the usual energetic sweaty Wednesday session, but at least it was a bit of an old stretch?

Thursday was a 4 mile interval session. I upped the interval distance to 0.25 miles this week. It was grand, though tough to keep it going. Boy was I was glad to get the 5th one done and move onto the cooldown! Ran the intervals in the same place as usual so every 2nd is a slight up/downhill. That doesn't account for the really slow 1st one:o...

Intervals were: (5x0.25mi with 0.1mi rest)
    Average pace 08:06 / 07:59 / 07:34 / 07:48 / 07:10
    Interval time (seconds) 121 / 119 / 112 / 117 / 107

Summary:
    4 miles in 00:40:41
    Avg Pace: 10:10 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 09:50 min/mi

Oh God! What a run!:eek:
    7 miles pace run scheduled today, Saturday.
    The morning looked promising when I got out of bed. None of the scheduled rain in sight and it looked like it should be a good day for a run. Logistics meant we couldn't both go at the same time, so he went first and I did my run after.
    While I was waiting patiently the rain started... but had actually stopped again when I was ready for off. Out I went, feeling positive, with a new route in my head and aiming for the 09:44 /mi pace.

Boy oh boy was it humid out there!? By the time I'd gone 2 miles I was longing for the rain, but in vein! I was out there for over an hour and nothing! And now I'm back, it's pouring... typical!

I found that a REALLY TOUGH run. There's a few choice hill in that route that I'd sort of forgotten about until I was on them. Phew! Might choose a flatter route for the next pmp run. :o
    I didn't make my desired pace...7 seconds per mile off, so I'm a bit disappointed with that. But I couldn't have gone any faster today. Hope it was just the hills and the humidity, but if Berlin is as humid as today, I'll be lucky to make it home before the race closes :p

But hey! I got it done, and the pace was quicker than the 04:30:00 marathon pace of 00:10:19 /mi, so I shouldn't be so hard on myself. There's lots more pace runs to do between now and Berlin, right?

Summary
    7 miles in 01:09:02
    Avg Pace: 09:51 min/mi

Longest ever run tomorrow - 14 miles. I'm a bit scared...

Phew! Done! 14 miles! My longest run ever. And I'm still standing (well, I'm sitting at the moment, but you know what I mean...)

I spent some time yesterday planning a route. As this was uncharted territory for me, I got some advice from the wise one and finally decided on a route that took me past a few shops for water stops and took in a new road, just for a change.
    I also decided to wear a gel belt for the first time. I loaded it with 2 SIS gels, and took some money for water. It took me a few minutes to find the correct position for it, but it was fine once I was running. I barely felt it actually.

LSR - Long Slow Run was the perfect description for what I did today :p 14 miles being a somewhat daunting prospect, the plan for the pace was to keep it at about 11:00 min/mi. I was paranoid about running out of steam! Slow and steady was the mantra. Of course the more experienced Mr Emer was telling me it was just a Half Marathon with a little bit added on, like the walk back to the car... He makes it all sound so easy.

Sunscreen, hat and sunglasses, and off I go. I'd only gone about a half a mile when I had to step into the ditch as 2 cars passed me. Stopped the watch, as usual, but never restarted it :eek:. I didn't notice this faux pas until I ran though the 1 mile mark and was wondering why the watch didn't beep at me!? Doh! I reset the Lap at this point anyway.

Took the first gel at mile 4 when I stopped for water. On again and ran the new road, which was nice. This took in Stepside and back to the N11 via Ballyogin Road. That's lovely now with the new cycle lanes. The road is long and straight and flat. Cool. Pity the climb up past Carrickmines Tennis club comes just after :(

The run down Cornelscourt Hill was a shocker on the poor tired knees and hips , coming at about mile 9. But I stopped to take the second gel and another bottle of water at Cabinteely park and took a loo break there too. The mini break was welcome but I did cool down a bit and found it a bit hard to start running again.

The last few miles were slow, but I kept going. A though did cross my mind that there's another 12 miles to do after this to get to 26:eek:, but that didn't put me in a happy place, so I deliberately pushed that one aside.

Finished the run feeling OK (surprisingly) but tired (not surprising).
    Quite proud of myself actually :cool:

...and now 15 miles next week doesn't seem all that bad?!

Summary
    14 miles in (about) 02:32:00
    Avg Pace: 10:50 min/mi

hmmm... that post was a bit long, sorry.

But it was an important milestone for me.:D

Absolutely brilliant stuff Emer, well done. I'm thrilled for you.

The post length is perfect coz you know I'll be back to re-read this when I'm due my 14 miles :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great run Emer! And at a nice pace too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Emer, that is fantastic. At least now you know you can do it and in a very good time too!

Thanks guys.
    It didn't feel good doing it, but it feels great after the fact!:D

The plan for the coming week.

Monday: | Swimming classes
    Tuesday: |7 mile run
    Saturday: | 7 mile
    Sunday: | 15 miles LSR

Swimming class on Monday. The regular teacher was back and normal service was resumed. Lots of swimming done! Yeah! :p
    I was surprised that I was able to keep up, to be honest. I though the legs would be giving out after the weekends exertions, but I was grand.

For Tuesday's 7 miler, I decided to keep things local and just do a couple of loops in and around the park. I couldn't go until almost 8:00 (family logistics) and it was pouring down! I know June was supposed to be our hottest in years, but the rain today made me think July was trying to make up for that! :rolleyes:

I didn't have a pace in mind for today, just let myself run as I felt. So when I got home and the avg pace was 09:51 you could have knocked me sideways with a wet fish! That was the same pace as Saturdays pmp run, but where that one felt really hard, today was almost easy - definitely comfortable at least. So I'm thinking the heat and humidity (and the hills) must've really gotten to me?!

Summary
    7 Miles in 01:09:06
    Avg Moving Pace: 09:52 min/mi

• Advertisement

Went to Yoga yesterday, Wednesday and had a suitably tough, sweaty workout. Lots of work on the hips and legs. All brilliant stuff for balancing out the running.

For Thursday's interval session I headed to the park, as usual. It was humid and sticky when I was out at lunchtime, so I was actually wishing for a bit of rain this evening. Headed out and it was fine and dry, but a little sprinkling started when I was about half way through my set. It didn't really rain properly, but what I got was very welcome!

I did the usual 5 x 0.25 mile intervals after the mile or so warm-up, and did another mile or more after for the cool-down. The intervals were a bit slower than last week, but I'm not going to beat myself up about that. There's good days and not so good days, right? I made up for the lack of speed by continuing on for a bit and ended up with 4.4 miles on the watch.

Interval Pace: 08:00 / 08:07 / 07:50 / 07:52 / 07:49
    Interval time (seconds) 119 / 122 / 116 / 117 / 116

Summary
    4.4 miles in 00:45:21
    Avg Pace: 10:18 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hi Emer, just catching up on your log there since I’ve been MIA. You’re really making some progress, fair play to you. And congrats on the half; Great time and great training. I’m just starting to get back into it myself with some new goals – hopefully injury free and achievable. I ran that new bit of the Ballyogan road by the luas myself the other evening (from Carrickmines up to Leopardstown) I was slow enough but it’s a nice clear quiet road for the clearing the head! Best of luck with the 15 miles this weekend. It’s funny how 6 / 7 miles becomes a short run when you’re at those distances for the LSR. Not that I’ve done an LSR in quite a while...

Saturday: 7 mile run, not a pmp today though... and just as well 'cause I was a bit bold last night and was out till 2 - just had a couple of beers though, so not hungover (T.G.), just tired. :o

It was a bit warm and humid out there, so I just ran as I felt and didn't bother worrying about pace today. Happily, I wasn't all that slow, and it felt comfortable doing it.

15 miles tomorrow, so a good dinner tonight and to bed early :D

Summary
    7 miles in 01:10:25
    Avg Pace: 10:03 min/mi

15 mile LSR today. I wasn't as daunted by this as I was about the 14 last week - weird, I know! I had my nice big breaky (porridge with raisins, seeds, banana and honey, followed by toast with jam and a coffee), then sipped my water & sports drink for the next while until I ready for off.
    It wasn't sunny, but it was humid. Just in case, I slapped on some sunscreen - better safe than sorry! Took 2 gels in the belt, with some cash for water.

Today's route took me to Stillorgan, down to Blackrock and back via the parks, finishing with a lap in Shangannagh. There was a few showers during the run, but nothing to shout about, and in general the weather was pretty okay. There was a bit of a headwind on the way back - which I must admit wasn't all that welcome.

I decided to take the gels in line with my 'water stops', but the first one came at mile 4 and as there was no shop between there and mile 9, I decided to take the gel at that point anyway. A tad early, I know, but at least I'm getting my body familiar with them... :p Didn't stop at the shop at mile 9. It wasn't as hot as last weeks run, so I decided to keep going until the garage on the N11. Turned out that was just after mile 11. Took the second gel at that point too.

The run was actually grand. I took it easy and even though I got tired towards the end, I didn't feel trashed or anything!
    So that's another Longest Run Ever completed. Nice.

Next week is a step back week (yeay!:D)

Summary
    15 miles in 02:46:40
    Avg Pace: 11:06 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done Emer. 15 miles :eek: Sounds like you took it in your stride (scuse the pun). Sure what's another 11 after that ;)

littlebug wrote: »
    Well done Emer. 15 miles :eek: Sounds like you took it in your stride (scuse the pun). Sure what's another 11 after that ;)

Ha ha... that's a good one.
    What's another 11? It's Another 11 miles!! :confused:

...what the hell am I doing?:eek:

OK. New week, new plan. Step back week this week (yeay!:D) so the mileage is down to just 27 after the heady heights of last weeks 33 miles.

Monday: | Swimming
    Tuesday: |5 mile run
    Saturday: | 7 mile
    Sunday: |11 miles LSR

Swimming "freestyle" on Monday and for the next few weeks. Decided not to enrol for the classes as I was going to miss 2 of the 6 anyway. So I went to the pool for some casual swimming with the other half and one of the wee ones. Lovely and relaxing - but I did do a bit of swimming too :p.

Tuesday, I ran 5 miles in the local park. Decided to run as I felt, as I wasn't sure how the legs were going to hold up after the 15 miles on Sunday. I didn't feel tired and legs weren't heavy or anything - I was pleasantly surprised actually!
    There were lots of runners in the park this evening and it was a lovely run. I kept the pace even, from an effort perspective, and even though I got a bit tired at about 3.5miles, I pushed on and finished feeling tired but good. Very happy with that.:D

Summary
    5 miles in 00:47:55
    Avg Pace: 09:34 min/mi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Were you wearing a purple top this evening Emer? Because a redhead was making ground on me in the "back" fields (as I call them) this evening in Shanganagh park until I bailed out while she went for an extra lap!

• Advertisement

Swimming "freestyle" on Monday and for the next few weeks. Decided not to enrol for the classes as I was going to miss 2 of the 6 anyway. So I went to the pool for some casual swimming with the other half and one of the wee ones. Lovely and relaxing - but I did do a bit of swimming too :p.

Tuesday, I ran 5 miles in the local park. Decided to run as I felt, as I wasn't sure how the legs were going to hold up after the 15 miles on Sunday. I didn't feel tired and legs weren't heavy or anything - I was pleasantly surprised actually!
    There were lots of runners in the park this evening and it was a lovely run. I kept the pace even, from an effort perspective, and even though I got a bit tired at about 3.5miles, I pushed on and finished feeling tired but good. Very happy with that.:D

Summary
    5 miles in 00:47:55
    Avg Pace: 09:34 min/mi

Advertisement