Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wednesday Felt rotten. Stiff neck and shoulder so didn't do anything. A bit of a rub and some anti-inflammatory spray and it was OK (not great, but OK) in the morning.

Thursday Rest day - went out with friends so no running.

Friday Supposed to do 40min Tempo run. I really struggle with tempos. Can never really get the pace increase smooth and end up dying early. And that's exactly what I did :rolleyes:. This one felt WAY harder than it should have. Ended up finishing it out at 4 miles. Not a good run.
    Summary 4 miles in 37:13
    Avg Pace: 9:18 min/mi
    Tempo was 9:40/ 8:38/ 9:46/ 9:24
    Saturday A better day. 7 miles LSR in the plan (I'm busy tomorrow so getting this in early) and I had #1 son running with me for the 1st 2 miles. Good fun. It's nice to have company, even if it's just for a bit.
    He was struggling a bit with the pace (too slow!) but managed alright. He headed off for a 3rd mile on his own and said that was much easier (@7:40/mi instead of 9/mi) I think he takes after his dad rather than me on the pace side :D.
    So I finished out my miles and really enjoyed it. Lovely day for a run.
    Summary 7.5 miles in 1:09:31
    Avg Pace: 9:16 min/m

Rest day today - sort of. Up way too early for a Sunday and headed off to a Sanshou competition with the little miss. Gees though, I thought my heart was going to burst several times over during it. The adrenaline was fairly pumping. Long day and I probably sweated as much as I would on an 20 mile run. :D A mother shouldn't have to watch her baby being hit around the head... even if she is winning! Heck of a day!

Anyway. A plan is required to keep me going next week.

Mon|3 m run (& Pilates)
    Tue|8 x 400
    Wed|3 m run
    Thur|Rest
    Fri|5 m fast
    Sat|7 m run
    Sun|Rest

Monday
    Pilates. Tough class again. Definitely getting my monies worth with these :D
    Blew off the 3 mile run though <bold>

Tuesday
    8x400 mt intervals at 1500 pace
    HOLY MOLEY! Tough session. Fast I am not :o so these do not come easy. Plenty of walking in between each interval. and I stopped and stretch twice as the hammies were getting tight.

Interval|Seconds | Pace /mi
    1|113.6 |7:34.7
    2|113.4| 7:33.9
    3|113.3| 7:33.7
    4|118.9| 7:56.3
    5|114.4| 7:38.2
    6|110.4| 7:22.2
    7|116.9| 7:48.1
    8|112.5| 7:30.4

Nearly ran into a cyclist doing #4, which accounts for the slower pace on that one - oops! Was hearing a strange squeaking doing #6, until I realised it was my breathing :eek:.

Anyway, it's done now. Time for a well deserved beer :D
    Summary 5.02 mi in 54:32
    Avg Pace: 10:51 min/mi

Wednesday
    3 miles in the dark, up and back on Ballyogan road. A bit windier that I was expecting. The pace felt harder than it should have too, which I was not at all happy with. Still, I did the required miles. A PB on that 5k race is beginning to look extremely unlikely :(
    Summary 3 miles in 26:22min
    Avg Pace: 8:47 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Nice one on the intervals last night Emer. I must have a go at these again soon. Was good for about 6 weeks during the summer for doing the session but always dreaded it!

And that was a good run this evening off the back of the intervals. That Ballyogan road is pretty exposed. And I actually find it mentally tough enough.

What's the 5k goal again?

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Nice one on the intervals last night Emer. I must have a go at these again soon. Was good for about 6 weeks during the summer for doing the session but always dreaded it!

And that was a good run this evening off the back of the intervals. That Ballyogan road is pretty exposed. And I actually find it mentally tough enough.

What's the 5k goal again?

My PB is 25:12 but I don't think I'll be getting near it, based on current paces. I'd love to get a 24:xx. Can't really see beyond that at present. :rolleyes:

Emer911 wrote: »

My PB is 25:12 but I don't think I'll be getting near it, based on current paces. I'd love to get a 24:xx. Can't really see beyond that at present. :rolleyes:

Well I have faith even if you don't. I'd advise not running a 7.20 first mile the way I did in rathfarnham and you'll break 25 no bother :)

claralara wrote: »
    Well I have faith even if you don't. I'd advise not running a 7.20 first mile the way I did in rathfarnham and you'll break 25 no bother :)

Ha ha, that's funny. I can't even do my 400 mt intervals at 7:20! :p

Ha ha, that's funny. I can't even do my 400 mt intervals at 7:20! :p

Neither could I! Hence my advice... Imagine not being able to run 3.1 miles without stopping to walk... If you can't, you definitely don't want to experience it! No bother to you to sensibly get a good pb :)

Thursday Rest day

Friday 3 miles in the cold and dark and windy night. Don't know what the hell was going on with me. I was really struggling to even hold it near the 9min miles! :confused: ENd of a long week, I guess...
    The cold didn't help either, and my breathing was a tiny bit raspy by the end. :(
    Summary 3.01 mi in 27:30
    Avg Pace: 9:09 min/mi

Saturday Rest day (unscheduled, but I'll do the long run tomorrow instead)

• Advertisement

Sunday
    Still not up to scratch and didn't feel like a run AT ALL but got on the shoes and went for some slow local flat miles... just in case :o

And it was such a lovely day for a run too.

So I hit the park. A few laps, and it wasn't all that much fun and it wasn't all that comfortable, but I was glad I went out and got a few miles done. Not exactly as many miles as I had in the plan, but better than nothing.
    Summary 5.5 mi in 53:29
    Avg Pace: 9:43 min/mi

Now to go find my mojo... call me if you see it hanging around?

Plan for the week
    (better late than never)

Monday|Pilates
    Tuesday|2 m run
    Wednesday|30 min tempo
    Thursday|2 m run (or rest... we'll see)
    Friday|Rest
    Saturday|5K Race
    Sunday|Rest

My PB (from the Boards 5k Time Trial last november) is 25.22
    So the (only) goal is to better that.
    I'm not feeling very confident about this race... :o

Monday Pilates at lunchtime
    Core, core and more core... and yes, I'm feeling it today :o:rolleyes:

Tuesday
    Plan was to do 2, but it was cold and dark and windy (:eek:) so I was really just warmed up when I got to 2, so I kept going to 3. Nothing of note really. It was so dark I stayed on the streets instead of heading to the park.
    I really felt the effects of the core crunches yesterday too - with every step :o:p. Gotta love that pilates
    Summary 3.01 miles in 27:22
    Avg Pace: 9:05 min/mi

All the best for tomorrow Emer. Hope it goes well for you :)

Thanks CL. It's been a bit of a disaster of a week though so I'm not exactly feeling positive...

I was unexpectedly called to go do some Mommy stuff on Wednesday evening so didn't get out. Then Thursday I went to get a persistent knot in my shoulder kneaded out and he nearly broke me ;) so no running after that either.

I'll be struggling to get near my PB I think - never mind beating it... Ah well. sure I'll give it a go anyway.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Good luck tomorrow Emer, just enjoy the day and I've no doubt you'll surprise yourself!

Got to the park in loads of time but even though the thermometer in the car said 8c the wind chill made it feel REALLY cold! The wee one was running too - she even had her own (professional) pacer, so as he went off to get in a few miles before the race, we went in search of loos... ended up in some trees cause we never found any - delightful :eek: :p

After saying hi to a few people, I eventually warmed up enough to discard my outer layer, bid my 2 accomplices adieu and headed for the sub 25min pen (I was being optimistic). It was totally brassers hanging about! Did my best to keep moving and keep myself warm, but it wasn't all that easy.

Gun went (or rather, someone shouted GO :D) and wave 1 went. 4 minutes later the rest of us were off. Windy conditions! Went out steady and kept it going. Made a stupid rookie error and didn't check my laces before I setarted and one opened around the start of the 2nd mile. I didn't have any choice but to stop and tie it <mad :mad:>, and with chilly fingers that was NOT fast, so lost quite a few seconds there.

I was going grand up until I passed the 4K marker and started to get a stitch. Did the usual (breathing, squeezing, counting, kneading) but I felt the pace dropping while I was managing that. <mad again :mad:>

Picked it up again before the end, and crossed the line in 25:19 (results are up already!), so it's a PB by a measly 3 seconds :o.
    But according to the Garmin, my moving time was 24:59 (!) which I'm a bit happier with.

Lesson learned - check the laces BEFORE the start next time!
    Summary 3.13 mi in 25:19 (chip time)
    Moving time 24:59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Looking at the results sheet and it looks like you came in directly behind me :D!

Congrats on the run, the cold and wind made it very tough! My hands were so numb I couldn't get my laces tied either :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats on the PB.
    I swear by these, never have to tie your lace again
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BLMK2Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Well done - you just need to find another 5k now and sub-25 should be yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the PB. Without the laces issue your sub 25 would be Well and truly in the bag. Oh ye of little faith. A big confidence boost emer.

Woddle wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB.
    I swear by these, never have to tie your lace again
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BLMK2Y

Thanks
    ...or I could just tie a double knot in what I've got :rolleyes:

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done on the PB. Without the laces issue your sub 25 would be Well and truly in the bag. Oh ye of little faith. A big confidence boost emer.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprise with the run, actually. Given the recent form I was expecting to be struggling to get under 27.
    Now I'll have to find another 5k soonish to try and break that 25! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congrats on the pb Emer, nice going :)

Sunday
    Spent Sunday morning in a cold, wet, mucky field under an umbrella cheering on the OH in his second ever cross country meet.
    Gees these people really are a different breed!? 10k on a 2k lap with 3 gut wrenching hills per lap. And then there was the slippy grass and progressively muddier conditions to contend with as the race progressed. I seriously don't know how they do it. :eek: Torture!
    But at least he had a good race and his team took home gold... so not all bad.

So I spent the rest of the day trying to warm up again. No running then. :p

Monday
    Lunchtime Pilates - ouch, but good ouch :D

Tuesday
    No more plan in place after the 5k race on Saturday, so I just went for a 3 mile run. It was blooming cold out there tonight, and wet. But I was well wrapped up and once I'd warmed up sure I didn't feel the cold too much.
    Nothing major. Actually a nice run though.
    Summary 3.02 mi in 26:44
    Avg Pace: 8:52 min/mi

Oh, and I signed up for the Connemarathon Half Marathon in April. I guess I'll be organising another plan soon then :D

Time to revisit the BIG 8 goals for one last time this year. I'm going to try to fit in the GOAL Mile on Christmas day (if things don't get out of hand the night before :p) but other than that one, the racing is all done for 2011.

Distance | Goal time | Current Best @ Jan 2011| 2011 Best
    1 mile | 7 mins | 8:06 (at -15C on 25/12/2010) | -
    3k | 14 mins| - | -
    5k | 25:00| 25:22 (Boards 5k 2010) | 25.19 (chip time) Jingle Bells 5K Dec 2011 (24:59 moving time?)
    5miles | 40:00 | 45:51 (Dublin Irish Runner 5mi 2009) | 42:15 (Dublin Irish Runner 5mi 2011)
    10k | 50:00| 54:xx* | 52:44 (DLR Bay 10k 01/08/2011)
    10miles | 01:30:00| 01:40:xx (Dublin adidas 10mi 2009) | 01:29:22 (Ballycotten 2011) 01:28:00 (Frank Duffy 10 mile 20/08/2011)
    Half Marathon | 02:00:00 | 02:10:xx (Dublin adidas HM 2009) | 01:57:33 (Kildare 2011)
    Marathon | 04:00:00 | 04:24:12 (Berlin 2010) | 4:23:29 (Chicago 2011)

OK. So 10 mile and HM targets achieved. Hip hip hurray!
    Chicago was way too hot so achieving a 43 second PB was as much a milestone for me. I'll get that 4 hour marathon next time.
    10K - I'm still a bit away from the 50 minute goal... Disappointing.
    5 miles - similar. Not quite there just yet.
    5K - except for the rookie mistake (laces opening) I think I had it. Not too disappointed with that one, just a bit embarrassed!

So roll on next year for a new set of targets.

Sheesh. I've been very bold.

Since last week I've run once on Sunday morning and once again today - Wednesday. The rest of the week was either social engagements, or too bloody cold (I'm such a wuss sometimes:o)

Sunday I had about 30 minutes before I had to go shopping (don't ya love Christmas) So I got up at 8.30, had a glass of juice and went out before I changed my mind! Tough running on empty, but it was just a quick short one so I managed.
    3.51 miles in 33:40
    Avg Pace: 9:35 min/mi

Wednesday Tuesday I called off my planned run cause I was just too cold and couldn't face going out, so NO excuses were going to be entertained this evening. Took the gear with me to work so I changed there and fit my few miles in before I had to pick up child #2 from the gym. Cold out there again tonight, but not as bad as yesterday, I think.
    4.5 miles in 42:02
    Avg Pace: 9:21 min/mi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Thanks
    ...or I could just tie a double knot in what I've got :rolleyes:

Meet a woman at a race a few years ago. She told me she'd gone and hired a coach to try to meet some goal (I've forgotten). So I asked her what the most useful thing she'd learned from the coached session (expecting to free ride on some amazing insight). And the answer:

After tying her laces, tuck the ends of laces underneath the meshed laces on the front of the shoe. Stops the lace ends flying around and untying.

It works. Not sure it was worth a season coaching fees though.

Congrats on the PB. There is no such thing as a bad PB. Progress is everything.

Advertisement