Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Emer911 wrote: »
    Monday
    Though my ass was gonna fall off :eek:

I don't know much about Pilates but I'm guessing if that wasn't a good thing, you wouldn't be so flippant about it....:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

claralara wrote: »
    I don't know much about Pilates but I'm guessing if that wasn't a good thing, you wouldn't be so flippant about it....:rolleyes::D

Yeah CL - if it aint hurtin after the class then I wasn't working hard enough!
    :D
    I give out about it, but love it really. (masochist? moi? :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Yeah CL - if it aint hurtin after the class then I wasn't working hard enough!
    :D
    I give out about it, but love it really. (masochist? moi? :rolleyes:)

I think the one thing us lot have in common is the sadism and masochism...most people would be happy to sit in with glass of red of a rainy evening or a cup of coffee of a Monday lunchtime... at least someone understands!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Monday
    Lunchtime pilates class. Lots of arm and glutes work and boy was that painful! Though my ass was gonna fall off :eek:

That had me laughing out loud. Speaking of asses I had my capris on inside out on my early morning run yesterday (thought they felt a bit itchy alright mid run). I suppose I could have got away with it but the pocket was flapping away on my ass.
    Sorry, just your post made me think of that
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

jcsmum wrote: »
    I had my capris on inside out on my early morning run yesterday (thought they felt a bit itchy alright mid run). I suppose I could have got away with it but the pocket was flapping away on my ass.

That's so funny! Made me laugh out loud here in the office :D

• Advertisement

That had me laughing out loud. Speaking of asses I had my capris on inside out on my early morning run yesterday (thought they felt a bit itchy alright mid run). I suppose I could have got away with it but the pocket was flapping away on my ass.

I had a little titter at that at my desk - getting weird looks from my colleages :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

:D:D:D Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

HAd to laught at that....The only advantage - it was probably so early no one would have noticed....:D

Tuesday
    Feeling a bit drained today so kept putting off the run. Got home, fed the cats, brought in the washing, prepared and cooked dinner, cleaned up the kitchen, served up for the 2 vultures, and then, with nothing else to 'distract' me :rolleyes:, I put on my gear and kicked myself out the door. Only 3 miles to do, and sure it was grand once I got going. Don't know what I was procrastinating about :D. A nice run. Humid with a slight sprinkle of mist. Near perfect for a late evening run.

On a side note, but still training related, my upper body strength is abysmal, and even though I can now do 15+ push-ups at a go thanks to pilates (woo hoo :cool:), I cannot do a pull-up for love nor money. Not letting that deter me, I decided to stop off at the bars in the park though and try. No, I didn't have any miraculous strength injections, but I did some 'fakey' push-ups (feet on the ground, but arms taking as much weight as they can) which I might try to keep doing. Maybe I'll eventually be able to do a real one... sometime :rolleyes:
    Summary 3.25 mi 29:54
    Avg Pace: 9:12 min/mi

Wednesday
    Another Ecoli session in preparation for the 10k race this weekend.
    1mi warm-up;
    1mi@10k pace(8:00min/mi) & 3 min recovery;
    2 x 400mt@5k pace (7:45min/mi) & 2 min recovery;
    4 x 200mt@1mile pace (6:56min/mi) & 1:45 min recovery;
    1 mi cooldown

Tough session. I got confused and though I had 8x200mt to do, so I was elated when I saw 'cooldown' on the watch after doing just 4. :D I was wrecked after the 4th and was wondering how the hell I was going to keep it going for another 4! Phew - the relief :p

Splits were:
    Interval |Duration |Distance | Planned Pace /mi | Actual Pace /mi
    1 | 7:58.3 |1.00 mi|8:00 |7:58
    2| 1:53.3 |0.25 mi/ 400 mt|7:45| 7:34
    3| 1:53.2 |0.25 mi/ 400 mt|7:45| 7:33
    4| 0:53.5 |0.13 mi/ 200 mt|6:55| 6:52
    5| 0:53.5 |0.13 mi/ 200 mt|6:55| 6:52
    6| 0:53.0 |0.13 mi/ 200 mt|6:55| 6:48
    7| 0:53.1 |0.13 mi/ 200 mt|6:55| 6:49

As I said, pretty wrecked after that. Did them on the grass in the park to try to minimise the impact on the joints (knees/hips/etc). Feeling OK, no niggles.

Roll on Saturday <ooouuuh!> :cool:
    Summary 5.00 mi 48:30
    Avg Pace: 9:42 min/mi

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Another Ecoli session in preparation for the 10k race this weekend.
    1mi warm-up;
    1mi@10k pace(8:00min/mi) & 3 min recovery;
    2 x 400mt@5k pace (7:45min/mi) & 2 min recovery;
    4 x 200mt@1mile pace (6:56min/mi) & 1:45 min recovery;
    1 mi cooldown

Tough session. I got confused and though I had 8x200mt to do, so I was elated when I saw 'cooldown' on the watch after doing just 4. :D I was wrecked after the 4th and was wondering how the hell I was going to keep it going for another 4! Phew - the relief :p

Splits were:
    Interval |Duration |Distance | Planned Pace /mi | Actual Pace /mi
    1 | 7:58.3 |1.00 mi|8:00 |7:58
    2| 1:53.3 |0.25 mi/ 400 mt|7:45| 7:34
    3| 1:53.2 |0.25 mi/ 400 mt|7:45| 7:33
    4| 0:53.5 |0.13 mi/ 200 mt|6:55| 6:52
    5| 0:53.5 |0.13 mi/ 200 mt|6:55| 6:52
    6| 0:53.0 |0.13 mi/ 200 mt|6:55| 6:48
    7| 0:53.1 |0.13 mi/ 200 mt|6:55| 6:49

As I said, pretty wrecked after that. Did them on the grass in the park to try to minimise the impact on the joints (knees/hips/etc). Feeling OK, no niggles.

Roll on Saturday <ooouuuh!> :cool:
    Summary 5.00 mi 48:30
    Avg Pace: 9:42 min/mi

Great session Emer, i did the same one today and on grass too, and i'm glad i wasn't the only one to get confused:o... i need to update my paces ranges on the garmin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Smashing stuff Emer, best of luck on Saturday evening!

Thursday
    3.5 miles in the very soggy park with a work mate. Nice to have a bit of company for a change. Very slow, but this was recovery anyway so I was happy to pull it back to his pace. Warm and humid out there, but thankfully the rain seems to have stopped again for a bit.
    Summary 3.50 mi 35:46
    Avg Pace: 10:13 min/mi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck on Saturday Emer, you're training has been going great! Looking forward to your report :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Best of luck on Saturday Emer, you're training has been going great! Looking forward to your report :)

I'm actually getting a bit nervous about this race. Think I've talked it up a bit too much for my poor wee head to take - Oh the pressure! :rolleyes:

Sure I'll give it a lash anyway :D

RubyK wrote: »

I'm actually getting a bit nervous about this race. Think I've talked it up a bit too much for my poor wee head to take - Oh the pressure! :rolleyes:

Good luck Emer, it's a nice race with plenty of atmosphere at the finish so enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck to you tomorrow!! Get that PB you deserve and enjoy the race!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good attitude Emer, give it your best shot and hopefully it goes to plan. Best of luck and enjoy it.

best of luck this evening emer.

Dunshaughlin 10K - target was sub 50, Garmin says 49:42.
    Delighted.
    Race report to come, once my brain gets re-engaged. Tough running!

• Advertisement

Dunshaughlin 10K - target was sub 50, Garmin says 49:42.
    Delighted.
    Race report to come, once my brain gets re-engaged. Tough running!

Delighted for you...Well done!

Delighted for you Emer very well deserved. You looked very strong running for the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Based on last night, McMillan gives us a half time of 1:50:22 - just sayin', like....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great stuff Emer. Hope you enjoyed the celebratory beer :D

Congrats, well deserved and plenty more to come from you I don't doubt!

Ah well done Emer Brilliant stuff

New 10k PB: 49.42

After running 50:09 in the Roscommon Carers 10k in May, I just had to find another 10k to go for the sub 50 target. Dunshauglin was mentioned very favourably in these here parts so I duly signed up and decided to have a go. At the start of the year my 10k PB was 52:44 and I didn't have any specific goal in mind. Didn't really think a sub-50 was (ever) going to be on the cards, but never say never...

Pre-race prep was a bit unusual as we waited around for evening to come. My usual pre-race food is porridge and coffee, but that was well gone by 5pm!:D Settled for half a bagel and a banana with lots of water and juice. Got the kit together, cooked dinner for the young pair to eat at a more reasonable time, and hit the road with KC at about 6pm.

Easy drive up the M50/M3 and arrived at the car park at 6.30. Registration was easy-peasy (Nice too-shirt) and met up with RachelJev, Digger, Claralara, Meno, RK and too many others to mention. I think nearly everyone on the east coast that posts on the ART thread was there?! Rachel and I were both aiming for the sub-50 so we had decided to run this together. Then a few others who were aiming for the same time threw their hat in the ring and before we knew it, we had our own pacer too. Through colds and injury it ended up just Rachel, RK and I running for the time, but pacer Digger was joined by Meno at the last minute. To say I was not feeling confident of this would be an understatement. I hate pressure - and the pressure was mounting! Oooh!

After a brief warmup and a couple of strides we lined up as the wind whipped around us. The rain had more or less held off though (just a few damp moments) but that wind was a potential hindrance. The lads said they'd line up in front of us and we should tuck in behind for any exposed sections - professionals to the last, the pair of them.

The hooter blasted and we were off. Nice and steady for the first 1k. A bit of congestion, for sure, but nothing too frustrating. We ran up through the village and there were loads of people out shouting and cheeing us on. The lads were great - lots of assuring noises and directions coming from them. "Stay relaxed", "OK we're at pace now - nice and steady", "Keep the race line, don't run further than you need to". Passed the 1k mark and then the 1 mile mark and we were on pace. Lovely. I didn't look at my watch much at all - trusting in the 2 boys to keep us on target. From about the 2k mark I went ahead of the guys for a bit and was motoring nicely, breathing hard but comfortable enough.

The crowds were thinning a bit. I passed a guy at one point, and he immediately sprinted past me and then slowed again, right in front of me. He did this three or more times before he finally ran out of sprints and just let me ahead. Some guys just can't take being overtaken by a girl?! Ego is a wonderful thing, eh? I hope those sprints didn't scupper him later in the race!

Before the 4th Km the guys had reeled me back in (I think I just lost concentration for a bit) so I tucked in behind Meno out of the wind and stuck to his shoulder for the rest of the run. We passed the 5k in 24:xx (so thats a 5k PB too) but it was starting to hurt now. I just kept the head down and concentrated on breathing and keeing the legs ticking over. The guys - once again - were great with their words of encouragement, and Meno did his best to keep me distracted, pratteling on about hills and arms and breathing and pace...

After 7k we rounded a bend and 'the hill' that everyone was worrying about presented itself. ...nah, it wasn't a hill. Have you guys seen Pucks castle? Quarry Road? Huh! Baby bump described it more appropriately. But unfortunately, at that point, with everything hurtin, it may as well have been my own personal Everest! Digger was telling us to use our arms, Meno was assuring us that we had plenty of time in the bag and losing 10 seconds on the hill was OK, and all the while I was just staring at the ground, keeping the legs chugging. We crested the hill and Digger and Rachel, who was coping much better than me, stretched the legs and put a few meteres between us.

Meno stuck with me and we kept the others in sight, but the head was starting to tell me that I was finished, and I can honestly say that if I was on my own, I would have been very likely to slow to a walk. Knowing we were on target and with Meno reminding me that there were just 8 minutes left, just 5 minutes... I kept the head out of it, or rather I overruled it. But it was HARD!

With 1km to go Rachel and Digger were still just a few meters ahead and we were still motoring. Meno counted down the meters every time we passed a marker - 800, 600, 400, "OK, just around the corner". We passed a time clock and he told me to go for it, so with about 100 to go I found something (I know not from where) and finished in a sprint, just 2 seconds behind the others. Smashed the 50 minute barrier with 49:42 as the official time (exact same time as on my garmin)

I was totally F00ked and had to lean on the barrier at the finisher chute for a bit. I did still manage to get some strawberries and cream for eating once I got control of my faculties again. Someone asked me how I did and I honestly couldn't speak. I just held up 5 fingers and they went "sub-50?" I nodded back. Honestly couldn't talk for about 2 whole minutes.
    Rachel was over the moon with her time. RK, who dropped off the pace earlier was just seconds behind us in the end, but was just over the 50 minute mark, by 5 measly seconds. It was still a PB though, so not all bad!

Great race, great organisation, great atmosphere and a super spread put on in the hall afterwards. Lots of support out all around the course, even though the weather was more suited to the racers than the supporters. I know there were about 3 water stations too, though I didn't take advantage of any of them (takes too much enery to drink when I'm already at the edge). Fantastic race and will definetely recommend this one.

Many many thanks to our personal pacers for the day. I can sincerely say I wouldn't have done it without you guys! :p
    Summary 6.22 mi in 49:43 (woo hoo :D)
    Avg Pace: 7:59 min/mi

racheljev wrote: »
    Based on last night, McMillan gives us a half time of 1:50:22 - just sayin', like....;)

I'm not committing to ANYTHING at this point missus! My quads are too sore today to let me even think about that! Ouch! :p

Great report as always. You are so right about some guys hating having a female overtake them. I got a few snarly side-eyes. Love it :)

• Advertisement

Sunday 24th June
    Supposed to do an easy 60 minutes, but didn't get out in time (dossing about the house :rolleyes:) so had to call it a day after 5 (slow) miles and dash home to get ready to meet my MIL for a birthday lunch for her with the family.

Slow easy running today. After yesterdays exertions the quads are a bit sore, so I was happy to take the young one with me (her on her rollerblades) for the first 2 miles. Stopped for a bit when she fell (wha? she never falls! :eek: and lovely graze on her lower back too), then again when we met some friends in the park. So it was a bit stop start. Once I dropped her home I did the other 3 miles a bit faster (or at a more normal pace at least). Nice weather while I was out.

Gentle easy Sunday morning running. Lovely.
    Summary 5 miles in 50:16
    Avg Pace: 10:03 min/mi

Advertisement