Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Emer911 wrote: »
    Disaster!

Went to the park on Thursday with the young one cause she was joining the adults club for a training run. Easy running, no pressure and then POP :eek:
    Don't know what I did but my left calf was not happy. A bit of a shuffle home, some ice and a calf compress, hoping I hadn't done anything serious.

Had an appointment for a sports massage today anyway (fortuitous?) and he gave it a good rub down, but I was advised to give it a day or two rest, so had to abandon my arrangement for a 20 miler tomorrow :(

Bummer! And over nothing! :mad:

Fingers crossed for a quick recovery :o

Emer, really sorry to hear this - been following your log for a while. Hopefully it will come right fairly quickly. Fingers crossed for you. C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Emer sorry to hear that . rest it and ice it and you'll be fine for the taper. fingers are crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Poor E:(, rest and ice and I'm sure it will be back even stronger next week. A couple of days off now will probably do you good.

As Mr Mainwaring in Dad's Army was told......

Don't Panic:D

(not sure why that popped into my head)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

No, no, no! REALLY hope it's okay. On the plus side, it's still 3 weeks out and you've loads of long runs done - maybe it's time for an early taper? And as Martha said

DON'T PANIC!
    (sorry, just really wanted to type big :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Ha ha ha ha! Thanks Guys. I'll try not to PANIC :D

It's actually feeling OK (well, much improved) today so I've been advised to try 5 tomorrow and see how it goes. If all is well, go for another 5, and another, up to the 20. If I do it in loops, I can beg off if I feel any pain. If I can't go more than 5 (safely) tomorrow, I'll get to work early Monday and leave early so hopefully fit it in in the evening. That's the plan anyway.

I really want to get one last good long one in. Otherwise my last 20 will have been 5 weeks before D-day, so that's not ideal. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck - hope it clears up - you deserve a good run on the 29th!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Ha ha ha ha! Thanks Guys. I'll try not to PANIC :D

It's actually feeling OK (well, much improved) today so I've been advised to try 5 tomorrow and see how it goes. If all is well, go for another 5, and another, up to the 20. If I do it in loops, I can beg off if I feel any pain. If I can't go more than 5 (safely) tomorrow, I'll get to work early Monday and leave early so hopefully fit it in in the evening. That's the plan anyway.

I really want to get one last good long one in. Otherwise my last 20 will have been 5 weeks before D-day, so that's not ideal. :eek:

Crap I hope tomorrow goes well for you

Sunday [LSR day?]

Up bright and early and off to the Wicklow Cross Country in Roundwood. No, I wasn't running (like that's ever going to happen :rolleyes:). One junior racer, one Senior. Nice bright morning at least. Home by lunch time so after a feed of pasta, it was my turn.

After my imposed rest day yesterday, I headed out to the grass in the park to try out the calf. The plan was to stick to the softer surface and see if there was any pain. I had arranged for the pit crew to meet me after an hour with a drink and some sports beans. So I did 6 miles. Calf felt okay, was tight but not enough to stop me. I took a break to stretch and picked up my drink and the jellies. Went for a second loop (7 miles this time). Still OK, so after I got my second drink from the guys I kept going for the last loop. And ya know what, I got to 20! Woo hoo!

20 miles in loops of the park! :cool:

Legs are pretty tight now, but glad to have it done. And it wasn't quite as mind numbing as I though it'd be. I guess having something to concentrate on (i.e. the calf) and breaking the run into sections really helped.
    Summary 20.01 mi in 3:22:59
    Avg Pace: 10:09 min/mi

Taper time :D

Excellent. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant! Delighted you came through ok. Enjoy the taper :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done on your run, delighted for you.....

Let the Taper Madness begin;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Delighted the calf is ok again Emer, and you got the 20m done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Phew! Well done Emer, glad everything is okay again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Emer, delighted that the calf is fine again and you got the 20m done.
    I know it was essential psychologically for you to get this done as you had 2 x 20s already done so at least you can sit back (well kinda):o and enjoy the taper and see who the madness hits first!!!;)

Shucks, thanks for all the support guys. :o
    's funny, it doesn't feel like it should be taper time... weird!

Lunchtime Pilates today.
    Legs were stiff after the long run yesterday and I was a wee bit tired.
    I was actually that billoxed that I had to flop out of one of the sets - which got a good laugh :confused: :P And if I was billoxed before the session I was totally fooked after :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Delighted to see you are back on track Emer

Tuesday
    A few easy miles around Bray while waiting for the junior training to finish. Getting very dark these evenings, and the route was not the best lit. I'll have to rethink that for next week.
    Legs felt totally fine, and I didn't look at the pace at all, just kept it comfortable. Had a good stretch out after too.
    Summary 4.24 mi in 40:46
    Avg Pace: 9:36 min/mi

Wednesday
    5 miles on a grey drizzly evening, which matched how I felt. Heavy dead legs and everything felt drained and tired. But at least it's done, and no niggles, which is a plus.
    Summary 5 miles in 48:35
    Avg Pace: 9:42 min/mi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nearly there......:D:D:D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Nearly there......:D:D:D

Ooooh! :eek:

• Advertisement

Friday
    Took my rest day yesterday cause I was just not feeling it, so did my 8 miles with 5 x 1 mile at pmp today. And I'm glad I did. Really enjoyed this. The weather, though drizzly, was perfect for a run. Had to keep an eye on the pace to keep the pace miles at the pmp pace and not let it creep up to HM pace (and even heading towards 10k pace - oops!)
    5 x 1 mi were 8:51/ 8:50/ 8:44 / 8:45 / 8:45
    Felt comfortable the whole way and the mood was high. Lovely :cool:
    Summary 8.00 mi in 1:13:17
    Avg Pace: 9:10 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Friday
    Took my rest day yesterday cause I was just not feeling it, so did my 8 miles with 5 x 1 mile at pmp today. And I'm glad I did. Really enjoyed this. The weather, though drizzly, was perfect for a run. Had to keep an eye on the pace to keep the pace miles at the pmp pace and not let it creep up to HM pace (and even heading towards 10k pace - oops!)
    5 x 1 mi were 8:51/ 8:50/ 8:44 / 8:45 / 8:45
    Felt comfortable the whole way and the mood was high. Lovely :cool:
    Summary 8.00 mi in 1:13:17
    Avg Pace: 9:10 min/mi

And that's some pace ;)

Saturday
    Easy 4 miles in the crisp autumn sunshine. Beautiful day for running! The park was a bit squelchy in spots, but it was a perfect morning and I really enjoyed this one. Pace was slightly too fast for Easy, but it felt too good :D
    Summary 4.22 mi in 38:50
    Avg Pace: 9:12 min/mi

Sunday
    Did 12 miles today with some pace miles. Warmup, then 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 at marathon pace, with 2 min recovery jog between. It was a bit windy out there today, and some of the pace miles were uphill in the wind, which was... ummm... interesting :D
    All hit on pace, as required
    4mi: 8:49/ 8:54/ 8:56/ 8:58
    3mi: 8:59/ 8:50/ 8:58
    2mi: 8:40/ 8:54
    1mi: 8:41

I'm not saying it was easy - some of those were a bit of a struggle to keep below the 9:00 min/mi, but I was happy with it overall.

Sheesh. Only one more LSR before the big day! :eek:
    Summary 12.50 mi in 1:56:58
    Avg Pace: 9:22 min/mi

Love that session. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

10 miles at well under marathon pace - good session

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sunday
    Did 12 miles today with some pace miles. Warmup, then 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 at marathon pace, with 2 min recovery jog between. It was a bit windy out there today, and some of the pace miles were uphill in the wind, which was... ummm... interesting :D
    All hit on pace, as required
    4mi: 8:49/ 8:54/ 8:56/ 8:58
    3mi: 8:59/ 8:50/ 8:58
    2mi: 8:40/ 8:54
    1mi: 8:41

I'm not saying it was easy - some of those were a bit of a struggle to keep below the 9:00 min/mi, but I was happy with it overall.

Sheesh. Only one more LSR before the big day! :eek:
    Summary 12.50 mi in 1:56:58
    Avg Pace: 9:22 min/mi

My thoughts exactly!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah Emer thats a savage run. Nice work, what are you doing next weekend?

Ah Emer thats a savage run. Nice work, what are you doing next weekend?

Thanks RQ.
    One plan says 8 miles this weekend., the other has 14, so I might just go for the 8 (or maybe 10 if I'm feeling good :D) Decisions, decisions...

• Advertisement

Monday
    Lunchtime Pilates class. The usual. Lots of arm resistance and ab work today, but easy on the legs, which was just fine with me. I reckon my shoulders will be feeling it tomorrow though.:cool:

Advertisement