Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Tuesday
    4 miles in the plan but went a bit farther - it was too cold to stop and wait around, so I just kept going until the young miss was finished up with the club.
    Cold and dark out there - I think winter might be on the way?
    Took it very easy 'cause the hamstrings and glutes were feeling a bit tight from yesterdays exertions. No issues when I was running though, and feeling grand after the run and a stretch.
    Summary4.65 mi in 44:57
    Avg Pace: 9:40 min/mi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Emer911 wrote: »
    Thanks RQ.
    One plan says 8 miles this weekend., the other has 14, so I might just go for the 8 (or maybe 10 if I'm feeling good :D) Decisions, decisions...

Might as well do 11 to get some middle ground between the two :pac:

Wednesday
    Long work day, didn't get home until late and it was pi$$ing down so -executive decision - rest day.

Thursday
    Had the car booked in for a service so ran the 2.x miles to work. Uugh! hate morning running, but it it was grand once I got moving.

Evening time, and a nice little session was planned, 2x2 miles at pace with 2 mins recovery. It was dark by the time I got going, so I couldn't do this in the park, which is the usual session location. Headed towards Bray and on down to the seafront. The first of the 2 miles took me to the start of the cliff walk, where the town and the lights finish, so I had to take a moment in the darkness to drink in the quite with the white capped waves in the black sea rolling onto the beach. After a moment of appreciation I turned to do the next set.
    It was actually a lovely run. The pace miles were fine, and I hit the 1000 miles too - Whoop! :D
    Summary
    2.15 mi in 20:44
    Avg Pace: 9:38 min/mi

7.00 mi in 1:06:19
    Avg Pace: 9:29 min/mi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the 1,000 mile mark!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on the 1000m mark Emer, and it sounds lovely watching the waves!!
    Great session last weekend too, the MP were great and if you do that for the marathon you'll be in well under the 4hr mark!!! (no pressure;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Whoop whoop!!!! :D

Friday
    4 miles in a very soggy park. Felt like I was running through a stream going across one of the fields :p Ah sure it's all a bit of fun.
    Summary 4.00 mi in 37:26
    Avg Pace: 9:21 min/mi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Yay, well done on the 1000 mile mark. Hope the taper goes well (or at least better than it's going in my house :rolleyes:)

racheljev wrote: »
    Yay, well done on the 1000 mile mark. Hope the taper goes well (or at least better than it's going in my house :rolleyes:)

Thanks Rachel, no taper madness here... not much, anyway. :D

Saturday
    Doing a drop off in Blackrock so decided to run around there for a change of scenery. Of course, I only realised I forgot my watch when we were half way there :rolleyes:, so had to use the phone instead. It did the job, but was a bit bulky to run with and I had it in my pocket so wasn't able to keep an eye on the pace. Surprised to see I ran very close to marathon pace for the the 4 miles.

Lovely run. Weather was perfect and I met a fellow marathoner on my run so had some company for about a mile of this.

Last LSR tomorrow :eek:
    Summary 4.10 mi in 37:46
    Avg Pace: 9:13 min/mi

Sunday
    ...the last LSR
    As unexpected as it was welcome, I headed off on a lovely sunny Sunday in October for the last LSR of this marathon training plan. It's been a great training cycle for me, minimal niggles and probably only one (maybe two) session missed. The big revelation for me was running the long runs with my new boardsies friends. I didn't dread any of them as much as in previous years, and they were all completed with plenty of chat and laughs and minimum of pain. :D

I took this one nice and handy and had no specific plan when I left the house. Went a-rambling, and took some paths and roads I hadn't done before. Not the best route for an easy run - ended up on the loose pebbly beach after picking my way through some undergrowth when the path suddenly ended. Oops! The beach was really hard to run on, as the pebbles were uneven, very loose and shifting about underfoot. Had to go a couple of hundred meters maybe before I saw an exit off the beach. Uphill (naturally) to the coast road. Dropped down again to beach level a little further on and then up again at the end of the pathway.

Spied a couple of paragliders floating leisurely overhead - beautify morning for it!

Up to Vico Road (MathaStew's territory) and had to pause to take it all in before I turned around for the homeward stretch.

Really had fun with this one. It was very slow in parts, but totally enjoyable.
    Only 8 sleeps to go now :eek::p
    Summary 8.75 mi in 1:27:21
    Avg Pace: 9:59 min/mi

• Advertisement

Monday & Tuesday - was a bit under the weather (oh oh) so didn't do anything except mind myself and sip hot tea. It felt like a real headache/ ichy tummy, but maybe it's just taper madness? Better safe than sorry though.

Wednesday
    4 mile run home from work. Felt okay today so decided to chance a few miles. A bit cold and a bit dark this evening, but the run went fine and no ill effects during or after - phew!
    Summary 4.01 mi in 36:52
    Avg Pace: 9:12 min/mi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Emer the very best of luck for Monday, it sounds like your training has gone perfectly and I'm sure you'll get a big PB. I haven't decided if I'll spectate this year but if I do I'll give you a big shout out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hey Emer, wishing you the best for Monday! Go get that sub4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RubyK wrote: »
    Hey Emer, wishing you the best for Monday! Go get that sub4 :D

+1 :)

No doubt you and Rach will enjoy the chat on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck on Monday!! Enjoy the day with your partner in crime...Beep beep! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck on Monday !

Sub 4 - all the way! Best to you....with all the quality work you've put in, and the positive attitude you've had, this should be no trouble to you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck on Monday Emer, you've earned your Sub 4 with you consistent and steady training.
    Might get to see you at the start but if not enjoy and I'll catch up with you in McGrattans:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have a great run Monday. You've had a good run in training, some nice PBs during the year, hit the 1000 mile mark... it's all lining up for a good race and a solid sub 4 :)

Good luck missus. Hope it goes to plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good luck on monday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck Emer, sub4 all the way, enjoy it

Sunday
    A few easy miles to loosen the legs. Threw in a few strides for good measure.

Getting all prepared for tomorrow now. Number is pinned to the shirt, the gear is all laid out and I've to go pack my bag soon. Nerves are all over the place. Don't know if I'm coming or going. My 2 previous marathons were on foreign shores, so it feels rather strange to be spending the day before at home!? :confused:

On the plus side, by this time tomorrow we'll be celebrating (or maybe snoozing) after a successful day's work. ...positive thinking! ;)

Summary 2.51 mi in 23:01
    Avg Pace: 9:11 min/mi

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck tomorrow Emer

DCM - provisional

So after all that training and planning and preparation, who could have foreseen my calf going pop at mile 5?

I'll do up the race report later, but know that I did finish, I'm still walking (sort of) and here's what my ankle / lower calf looks like today. (and I apologise to the squeamish in advance:D)

559461_4752601222127_783382895_n.jpg

(hope that works!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Wow, don't know how you managed to finish at all. Well done and take it handy on that leg. That's one of the most impressive marathon related injuries I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ouch! I saw you limping along Chesterfield Ave, and was sure you were looking at a DNF. One of the biggest surprizes of the day was seeing you tear by us again at mile 16. You were flying! Good luck with the war wound, that's an impressive sight ok, I tip my hat to you.

Nasty. Must have been heartbreaking to have that happen so early on. Fair play for soldiering on AND getting a pb. A bigger pb than what the clown got without an injury. ;)

Holy crap!! I hope the Clown is waiting on you hand and foot!!! You need to be lounging on the couch with leg propped up and bell in hand. ;) Pretty impressive you managed to finish the race. I saw your splits - you must've been a woman on a mission at the end!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

That's some leg to cover 21 miles on :eek: Wish I had your determination! Take it easy & congratulations on getting the PB as well.

Advertisement