Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Where in The groin is it ? I had pain on the wall so to speak. Easy pace was ok but fast pace was a no no. Hope you get it sorted.

It's not the groin, it's the front of the leg/torso join - hip flexors.

Hopefully it's sorted. Tester (short) run tomorrow so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Emer911 wrote: »
    Analysis: Knots in my psoas

got it worked on (painfully!) and I can try running again on Sunday.

Fingers crossed!

Only the best runners have knots in their psoas;)
    I would never advise anyone to consult Dr Google but I found some good stretches for the psoas when I was out with injury, worth a look if you feel you need it. Hope it clears up soon:)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Only the best runners have knots in their psoas;)
    I would never advise anyone to consult Dr Google but I found some good stretches for the psoas when I was out with injury, worth a look if you feel you need it. Hope it clears up soon:)

...yeah, if only I could match your pace, not just your injuries :D

I did find a couple of yoga stretches for the psoas but if you have any that you found particularly good will you pass them on? Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

...yeah, if only I could match your pace, not just your injuries :D

I did find a couple of yoga stretches for the psoas but if you have any that you found particularly good will you pass them on? Ta.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=0v79okkM720

Something to try in the comfort of your own home;)
    I found these stretches really useful

Sunday
    2 mile easy running with some walking either side. Not exactly a roaring success but at least I got through it without TOO much discomfort. Finished off with some yoga stretches to ease everything out.

I'll reserve judgement until I see how sore everything is tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry to read you are having Psoas trouble :( Hopefully you'll be 100% again soon.

I went to the physio just before DCM, and he said it was tight psoas muscle and TFL musle. Gave me a stretch to do day and night, I'll try and describe it!

For the right side - on a the edge of your bed/chair, lean down on your right elbow, bend your left knee, slide your right leg under your bended left knee, and stretch it out, and lower your right hip down towards the floor, making a "bow" shape with your right hip/thigh. Hold for 30 secs.

It makes sense in my head, but not written down :o

Wednesday

Decided to try out the leg again. Pilates at lunch time on Monday left me with some really tight thighs so did a bit of stretching and some massage with the tennis ball on Tuesday. Legs felt ok on Wednesday, so went for a warmup walk followed by 2 very slow and deliberate miles. Good news is the leg was totally fine. Lots of stretching afterwards, but I'm hoping that this is the start of the comeback. :rolleyes:

Slow and steady now. Will increase the distance very gently over the next week or two. Fingers crossed I can stay pain free!

On another note, I've signed up for the Dungarvan 10 mile in January. Hopefully I'll be able to run 10 miles by then :o

OK. I had my first run in over a week this evening.
    Suffice it to say that stuff happens and it just didn't happen last week.

But I did go an buy a nice new pair of runners yesterday so took them to the gym this evening to break them (and me) in gently. A 5K slow jog went grand and there was no hip / calf / foot or other discomforts. Phew :p

Shoes are bit of a change for me. I've had Asics Nimbus forever but went for the Saucony Triumph so there's a heal drop from 12ml to 8ml. I've been warned that my calves might give out a bit, but as I'm really almost starting from scratch, with a slow ramp up of mileage, it should be manageable.

With the impending party season I'm not going to day that I'm back just yet, but I'm getting there.:D

Saturday
    Managed to fit in another 5 km (ish) treadmill run before hitting the town for a Christmas get together with some old friends. The run went great (even if it was on a treadmill!) and there doesn't seem to be any pain or strain following it.

So will I try 3 runs next week? :D

Whao... what happened to that month?!

The summary (short and sweet)

Thursday 13th : 3.5 miles outside - I felt VERY UNFIT doing this one :(

Monday 17th : Pilates at lunchtime and a 3.75 mile S L O W run. Legs were in rag order after the pilates. There were lots of squats and lunges and the legs were like jelly all afternoon. The run was not the most comfortable.

Tuesday 18th : Had to run from work to collect the car from the garage, so 3.12 miles done in a slightly more respectable pace. Legs were still tight, but at least I got out.

The Christmas festivities, shopping and some personal family stuff has been getting in the way but it's all nearly sorted / done, so I'll have no excuse fairly soon. Out tomorrow night and probably won't be fit on Thursday (not drink related... promise:p)
    Hope to get out on Friday. With a 10 miler booked for end of Jan I'd better get my ass in gear and my mojo back soon or that's going to be a very painful day :eek::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So Yeah... Friday was a non-runner, as was Saturday.
    Got a thing done Wednesday, so stitches in my back are a bit of an inconvenience. Felt ok enough today to go for a trot around the park for a bit. Just over 3 miles done. Not the best run, but okay. Onwards and upwards.

Tuesday - Christmas Day
    Went for a walk with the family up to Carrigologan.
    Son#1 decided to take a different path down and ended up lost temporarily unaware of the correct direction back to the carpark, so we went exploring and I ended up running 1.2 miles and walking 1.9 miles, before he got rescued by his Dad and dropped back to the carpark for the tearful reunion (well, the little sis was getting a bit worried about him :rolleyes:)
    Some adventure for a Christmas afternoon!

All better now. Fed, watered (champagne counts, right?) and rested.

Happy Christmas to all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Tuesday - Christmas Day
    Went for a walk with the family up to Carrigologan.
    Son#1 decided to take a different path down and ended up lost temporarily unaware of the correct direction back to the carpark, so we went exploring and I ended up running 1.2 miles and walking 1.9 miles, before he got rescued by his Dad and dropped back to the carpark for the tearful reunion (well, the little sis was getting a bit worried about him :rolleyes:)
    Some adventure for a Christmas afternoon!

All better now. Fed, watered (champagne counts, right?) and rested.

Happy Christmas to all!

thats not the type of adventure you want on Christmas Day:eek: Delighted it all turned out ok...

Happy Christmas and heres to a full recovery for you and back running in the new year!!

Younganne wrote: »
    thats not the type of adventure you want on Christmas Day:eek: Delighted it all turned out ok...

Happy Christmas and heres to a full recovery for you and back running in the new year!!

Don't worry (I didn't) all was fine - When I say #1 Son you think child, right? Well he's a feckin full grown adult of 18, with the sense of direction of a plastic bag :D Totally clueless! :p ('s ok, he know that...)

But he has run the roads around there, so I knew he's make it home, even if he couldn't find his way back to the car park :rolleyes:

Post holiday catchup

Back from visiting the relations and managed to fit in a whopping 2 runs this week :D

3.5 miles on the 27th with my sister in law. We were both not really in the mood, and it wasn't fast or pretty, but I think she was happy to get it done, as was I. After all the food and alcohol being consumed over the Christmas, these little runs are good for the soul.

Another 3.5 miles on the 29th around the park when we got home. Lovely and sunny and not too windy so I kinda enjoyed it... but it was still a bit of a struggle. On antibiotics so the energy levels aren't great (when will I get a break?!).

November and December have been a bit of a disaster - running wise - so here's hoping the new year will bring a new bill of health :(

The mojo is at rock bottom, but I'm just finished a course of antibiotics, got stitches out on Wednesday and should really have no more excuses! I know the energy levels take a bit to come back up after the drugs though, but I should still be able to go for short runs...

So I got the runners on today and went for a small run before dinner. Didn't feel like it, but I sort of enjoyed it. Had way too many layers on, naturally, so I wasn't the most comfortable, but I kept going for just over 3.5 miles. Not quick, but better than nothing.

...Really don't know how I'm going to manage a 10 miler in 3 weeks! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I totally know what you are going through as I've been in a funk recently with seriously low mojo myself. Give yourself some time and don't fret....and just relax on the runs and enjoy them. I'm sure holidays, antibiotics, surgery (?) have all added a bit of stress to your system making your low energy/enthusiasm very normal, and also making full mojo recovery certain. And 10 miles will be no trouble to you, you're the superwoman who finished DCM in amazing form after serious injury when most others would have folded. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I totally know what you are going through as I've been in a funk recently with seriously low mojo myself. Give yourself some time and don't fret....and just relax on the runs and enjoy them. I'm sure holidays, antibiotics, surgery (?) have all added a bit of stress to your system making your low energy/enthusiasm very normal, and also making full mojo recovery certain. And 10 miles will be no trouble to you, you're the superwoman who finished DCM in amazing form after serious injury when most others would have folded. :)

Ha ha. I like your optimism but I'm not feeling it! :rolleyes:

Went for a swim with the young miss earlier, in the pool that just opened near us. It's really quite nice so that was a pleasant surprise. Water is clear and not over chlorinated, the pool is wide enough to have 2 lanes roped off (definitely a bonus!), changing village rather than rooms (not a big fan - always feel cramped in those) and a positive overall experience.

We managed about 650 / 700 mts, in 2 lots, separated by some faffing about doing tumbles in the water - but there has to be a bit of play time :D Enjoyed that.

I've decided to give my running a bit of a kick up the proverbial, and I'm going to look into joining the running club. I know I can turn up and do a trial session before I commit, so I'm going to see if I can catch one of those this week and see how I go.

No new years resolutions or goals set as yet. I think I have to get back to enjoying the running before I start thinking about those. I reckon by the end of this month I should be back on track, so I'll commit to setting some goals by then.

The plan is to get out tomorrow morning for a bit of a longer run, maybe a whopping 5 or 6 miles :eek:. and now I've written that I have to do it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it. Hopefully it's all behind you now and you have a great 2013. Is it Dungarven you are doing in 3 weeks time?

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it. Hopefully it's all behind you now and you have a great 2013. Is it Dungarven you are doing in 3 weeks time?

Yip. Signed up for it before my injury woes and am bricking it now :o
    It could be a painful day out...
    But I'll get around. It definitely won't be my fastest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Maybe with the new pool nearby you and the Clown might consider some multi-sport action. You know, dark side stuff. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Maybe with the new pool nearby you and the Clown might consider some multi-sport action. You know, dark side stuff. ;):)

+1000 exactly what I was thinking DD. You like the swimming Emer and just need to dust off the bike :). Cmon over and join us ;)

+1000 exactly what I was thinking DD. You like the swimming Emer and just need to dust off the bike :). Cmon over and join us ;)

Ahh you guys! So funny! The merest hint of a swim or a cycle and you immediately shout "TRI" :D

No, I can swim a bit, but open water scares the bejeasus out of me and even so, a 750mt continuous swim is so far outside my comfort zone it's just not funny. And as for me on a bike :p:eek::D

Can't see the Clown doing anything serious in that direction any time soon either. His swimming is pretty awful (and he won't disagree with that) so significant investment in time (and lessons) would be needed there.

Sunday "Long" run

It's been a while, but I eventually got my ass in gear and got out for a decent run.
    The original plan was to do 5 or maybe 6 miles, or about an hour or so, but as I was leaving, the sickly clown in the corner looked at me with jealous eyes and said I should run with abandon as he couldn't (altogether now, awww :() - and I should go for at least 8 miles. My face said it all, I think, cause he followed up with "Well go for 7 and if you feel OK finish off with another one in the park".
    I had no route planned, just intended to head towards Cabinteely and turn back whenever. As I headed out the door I decided against the boring N11 route and headed towards the country lanes instead, taking the Heronford Lane / Laughanstown to the park. It's got a few hilly bits, some mucky spots, a couple of styles to scramble over, but is a lovely run and even though I was slow, I actually quite enjoyed it. 4.7 miles on the watch when I got to Cabinteely Park. Took the N11 route home which brought me to 7.7 at the turn to my road, so I had to keep going, didn't I?:rolleyes:

The weather was perfect too, which was a nice bonus.
    Got really hungry on the home stretch, but that's to be expected. I had breakfast at 10 and didn't get out till about 1! Enjoyed a nice (massive) salad when I got back after completing my longest run in months! :D

8 miles in the bag. Nice :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Can't see the Clown doing anything serious in that direction any time soon either. His swimming is pretty awful (and he won't disagree with that)

If only the open water was made of craft beer he'd be flying ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    If only the open water was made of craft beer he'd be flying ;):D

...well, that or drowning happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the 8 miler Emer! And I'd be all for pushing you to join a club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sounds like you found your mojo during the 8 miler Emer, happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

jcsmum wrote: »
    And I'd be all for pushing you to join a club!

+1
    Just make sure it is the club! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

wrstan wrote: »
    +1
    Just make sure it is the club! :cool:

Emer would be welcome, of course, but the commute to Knocklyon might be a bit much?

Advertisement