Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

wrstan wrote: »
    +1
    Just make sure it is the club! :cool:

Ha ha... Sure where else?

Is it Thursday in Bray (Ballywaltrim?) at 6:30? Do you think it'll be ok if I just turn up, or should I notify someone in advance?

Monday
    Back to Pilates at lunchtime, but she took it easy on us :D

Tuesday
    OH was taking the car today, so I took the opportunity and brought my gear to work and ran home. Not a big run - just 3 miles, but it all counts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Emer911 wrote: »
    Ha ha... Sure where else?

Is it Thursday in Bray (Ballywaltrim?) at 6:30? Do you think it'll be ok if I just turn up, or should I notify someone in advance?

Yep 6:30 from Ballywaltrim :rolleyes: for a Fartlek session I think. Will probably be 2 groups going out. No need to notify anyone, just turn up.

By the way there is a talk up in the clubhouse on Sugarloaf Terrace tomorrow at 8pm by one of our physio members on what to stretch and what to strengthen. You'd be very welcome to that as well.

Thursday
    Went to THE CLUB today to see what this club running lark is all about. Got there early enough and introduced myself to some of my fellow newbee. One gang was heading off to do HILLS :eek: so I joined the other gang, which contained most of us new to the club and a few others. We were doing a 'bit of a jog' and then 6 reps of 1 minute with 1 minute recovery.

It went great! I haven't done any speed stuff in ages but it was nice to trust all the timing/ pacing to someone else and just run fast. Met some really nice people and even lined up a running buddy for my run on Saturday :D

Looking back at the watch stats after (even though I neglected to turn it on before the warmup and forgot to turn it off till I was in the car on the way home:rolleyes:) it looks like the interval pace was around about 7min/mi, So I'm very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Excellent Emer, hope the new club goes well for you. You'll be back up to full fitness in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I'm really glad that you had a positive experience Emer and sounds like a good session. There seems to be a good core bunch there now on Thursdays.
    Good luck with getting back to full fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Brilliant Emer, hope you continue to enjoy it!

Saturday
    Lovely gentle morning run in the park. My Garmin was completely out of juice when I was heading off <doh!> so I just went with a stopwatch (just to know how long I was out) and did a few laps with my new club running buddy.
    Lovely run. We nattered the whole way around, and I was amazed when I mapped it out later that we did 4.7 miles in 44 minutes, which was about 9:20 min/mi. Felt closer to 10+, but that's ok. A good sign, methinks?

Left her and finished off with the run back to the house, so about 5.5 miles in total for me.

Long run tomorrow on the heels/ coat-tails of Meno, MarthaStew and co <gulp :eek:>

Summary: 5.5 (ish) miles in fifty something minutes

Saturday - later

...finishing off the afternoon being bullied into going for a swim with the young miss. :p

We did some lengths, alternating breast stroke with front crawl. After 13 I was b0llixed and had to take a minute, but she was still totally grand and would easily have kept going. Pushed on again to finish up on 28 lengths or 650mts. Truth be told, I actually enjoyed that <sush, don't tell Dory Dory or banner_phoenix!>

If she ever gives up on the gymnastics, kung fu and running, I reckon she should join a swimming club! I know I'm no Phelps, but she was leaving me for dust out there and wasn't a teensy bit tired at the end of out set. Oh to be young, strong and fit :rolleyes:

Right get on yer bike missus, you know you want to :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm going to have to build a fence :rolleyes:

Right get on yer bike missus, you know you want to :D

I knew that comment was coming :D
    No chance though! :P
    RayCun wrote: »

Yeah Ray, keep those pesky poachers at bay! :rolleyes:

Sunday
    Long run day. Met up with Meno, MarthaStew and Mr MarthaStew in the rain and tried to hang onto their speedy coat tails as they dragged me up over Killiney Hill. It was tough but at least the weather cleared up after a bit.

God bless the three guys for hanging around for me! MS chatted and kept me distracted (as much as possible) for most of the way, but I was SO glad when the time came for me to take the turn for home and bid the guys adieu:p as they continued on their way.

Slow, painful, but at least that's a 9 miler under the belt.

Its a long road back. 10 mile race in 2 weeks. Still not feeling sll that confident, but at least after today I know it won't kill me :D

Summary 9 miles in 1:28 @ 9:46 /mi pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Sunday
    Long run day. Met up with Meno, MarthaStew and Mr MarthaStew in the rain and tried to hang onto their speedy coat tails as they dragged me up over Killiney Hill. It was tough but at least the weather cleared up after a bit.

God bless the three guys for hanging around for me! MS chatted and kept me distracted (as much as possible) for most of the way, but I was SO glad when the time came for me to take the turn for home and bid the guys adieu:p as they continued on their way.

Slow, painful, but at least that's a 9 miler under the belt.

Its a long road back. 10 mile race in 2 weeks. Still not feeling sll that confident, but at least after today I know it won't kill me :D

Summary 9 miles in 1:28 @ 9:46 /mi pace

Great to see you today and those hills in Killiney are TOUGH! Your race in 2 weeks will feel like a walk in the park after today.
    Thanks also for showing us the more scenic route, really enjoyed the run today

Thanks Missus. Really enjoyed your company. Hope you guys weren't cursing my plodding pace too much :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great run today Emer, great to see you back at it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Cou
    Saturday - later

...finishing off the afternoon being bullied into going for a swim with the young miss. :p

We did some lengths, alternating breast stroke with front crawl. After 13 I was b0llixed and had to take a minute, but she was still totally grand and would easily have kept going. Pushed on again to finish up on 28 lengths or 650mts. Truth be told, I actually enjoyed that <sush, don't tell Dory Dory or banner_phoenix!>

If she ever gives up on the gymnastics, kung fu and running, I reckon she should join a swimming club! I know I'm no Phelps, but she was leaving me for dust out there and wasn't a teensy bit tired at the end of out set. Oh to be young, strong and fit :rolleyes:

I heard that!!! Triathletes have more fun.....cuz variety is the spice of life! ;)
    Sounds like your youngin' could be a triathlete herself! And speaking of family, I hope the Clown is on the mend!!!

RayCun wrote: »

Ah Ray don't be like that, you know you'd miss us if we weren't here to annoy you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the LSR, great to see you BACK!! :)

Wednesday
    I was SO COLD all yesterday evening I just couldn't think about heading outside for a run, so I didn't :o

Couldn't give myself any excuses today, so brought my gear to work with me. If the weather didn't co-operate then the gym was the second best...
    And seeing as it was a very pi$$y miserable day, I was on the treadmill 20 minutes after leaving the desk.
    Not my most favourite place to run, but at least it's some miles in the legs.

Summary 6km, at 10 / 11 setting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Kudos Emer....its energy sapping just thinking about the treadmill :eek:

Thursday
    Wow - what an evening! :eek:
    If I wasn't running with the club I would NOT have gone out, of that I am certain!

But there were other eager beavers waiting when I arrived, so there was no slacking off. :p We headed out into the wild, wet, windy, wetlands (of bray) for an 'easy' 5k loop. No-one was hanging about though :rolleyes:. My poor face was stinging and freezing after half a mile, with that lovely rain being driven into my skin by a fairly fierce wind! At one stage I had to turn my head to the side just to catch my breath :confused:

Got back to base and was SO wet! Had to wring out my hat and gloves, my Hi Viz vest and jacket were dribbling water, and my shoes and socks were a lost cause. At least I had a coat in the car. Couldn't put it on but it worked well to sit on - saved my seat, at least! ;)

Summary 3.19 mi in 28:24
    Avg Pace: 8:54 min/mi

(fastest 5K in quite some time too, and given the conditions I'm quite happy with that)

Saturday
    Easy run with company. Met my new running buddy for an early Saturday morning run. The weather was kinder that it has been for most of this week, which was unexpected but very welcome.

We started running around the park, but it was SO wet the puddles on the paths were more like rivers, so we made an executive decision to leave the park and head over towards Bray. Much better idea.

A bit of a damp one, but I enjoyed it and enjoyed the company.
    Summary 4.63 miles in 44:42
    Avg Pace: 9:39 min/mi

Sunday
    Chilly morning for a run, but there was no snow lying on the ground, and it wasn't icy, so no excuses ;)

Met my running buddy again for a longer run. I introduced her to some lanes and paths that she didn't know existed, which was a good fun. We ran over to Cabinteely via the back way, chatting and laughing the whole way. The only stumbling point of the morning as on the trail at the top of Herronford lane, which had a river running right across it and there was no avoiding the cold soggy feet! eeugh!

Got to the luas station at Lehaunstown and I noticed my watch was stopped. I'd stopped it when we paused to let A. take her jacket off and I'd never restarted it - Doh! :o

It was cold but bright and the few showers we encountered were brief and light. The views up to the mountains were spectacular - all snowey and crisp and clear. A lovely day for a run, and even though I was fairly wrecked when I got home, I really enjoyed it.

Summary 9.85 (ish) miles in about 1:35 (ish) minutes
    so about 9:38 min/mi

Good stuff Emer, great to see the miles creeping up again. When is the 10 miler (or should I ask!)?

Good stuff Emer, great to see the miles creeping up again. When is the 10 miler (or should I ask!)?

Its this Sunday :o:eek:

I'll make it around, no doubt, but I don't think it's going to be a quick one!

Tuesday
    A cold but pleasant run with the wee one around the village. She's been minding an injury and hasn't gone back to the running club yet, so she decided to join me on a short one - as a tester.

Kitted out in our long sleeves, long bottoms, hats, gloves and hi-viz tops we set off at an easy jog. She did great. We did an easy pace most of the way, but picked it up periodically just for fun.

Lovely run. Good fun.
    Summary 3.00 mi in 28:53
    Avg Pace: 9:37 min/mi

Its this Sunday :o:eek:

I'll make it around, no doubt, but I don't think it's going to be a quick one!

Oh yikes, didn't realise it was so soon. See how you feel on the day but just do your best and have some fun. I bet you surprise yourself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck on Sunday Emer. Might see you there.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Late run home from work. Just over 2 miles, but I couldn't be ar$ed to go any further.

Summary 2.20 mi in 19:26
    Avg Pace: 8:50 min/mi

Thursday
    Fit4Life 2 mile race in Greystones.
    I knew my fitness (and speed) was long way from where it was around the time of the marathon, and today was confirmation of that. The race was up and back on the cycle lane from the track to the swimming pool. Mostly flat, but a slight down hill at the start, and somehow a much bigger incline at the finish?! :p

I reckoned around the 16 minutes was about where I was at, but stopped the watch at 16:18 :( Lots of work to do so.
    Summary 2.03 mi in 16:18
    Avg Pace: 8:02 min/mi

Advertisement