Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Don't be hard on yourself Emer, it's only Jan! You'll build the speed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck Sunday Emer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

On a cold, blustery, dark, wintry morning, the alarm went off at 8am and we dragged our sorry a$$es out of bed to get ready and head off on our 400k round trip. And why, pray tell would we be doing this on a miserable Sunday morning? Good question! Lunacy, probably (well my Mum would definitely agree with that statement )

Not the best prep for my first second race of 2013 (forgot about the 2 miler the other night :rolleyes:). We had our work winter ball (Christmas Party for the rest of ye) last night, though I was a good girl, didn't drink and was home by midnight.

So breakfasted, showered, and packed we left the house on time (shock horror) to pick up our passenger and hit the road. Couple of hours later we were parked up and looking for the loos in Dungarvan. The usual pre-race faffing about, met some boardsies (how'd you get on career_move?), had some chats, until it was time to bid our adieus and make our way to the start. I, of course, had to make (another) loo stop and queued all the way to 5 minutes before the gun - oops! Needs must though.
    Jogged the half mile or so to the start with another loo queuer and we made it - just! I wiggled my way to towards the back of the crowd - past the 60 minute pacers, the 65, 70, 75, 80 minutes (keep going), 85 min and settled in a couple of rows back from the 90 min guys. I was a wee bit shocked to see I was practically bringing up the rear, bit I knew I wasn't in any way on pace, and would be lucky to get around in 9:30 min/mi pace. No point in deluding myself :o.

Chatted to a girl with a Donadee singlet until the crowd started moving. I didn't hear a gun or hooter or anything, but I did remember to start my watch as we passed the yellow start line on the road. No starting chip mat, so that bit's important.

The rain was holding off and it was actually a bit sunny, though cold, at the start. And once we got going, the headwind was just enough remind you that the weather gods were still up there, ready to throw anything at us unsuspecting runners. The first mile and half was a loop of the town and then out the main road for a bit (wow! windy!) before we turned off onto the country lanes.
    I was NOT clock watching for this one. I just wanted to run at a reasonable pace and see how it went. The route was lovely, not too hilly, and the weather, for the most part, wasn't too bad. The wind was - well, windy :rolleyes: - and we only got one brief shower.

I took a water bottle at the first water station at mile 3 (yes - bottles!) and sipped from it for the next while. Briefly chatted to a few different runners as I passed them :), or they passed me :o and generally the miles went by fairly uneventfully. Some tough ones, some quicker ones, some sunny ones. Lots of marshals with plenty of words of encouragement, and there was some great support at different spots around the course.
    Eventually we took a turn back onto to the main road and the last 2 miles were mostly flat / down hill and the wind was behind us, so I picked up the pace (well, sort of) and passed the finish gantry with 1:31 on the clock.

Collected the goodie bag - no small t-shirts left :( - and went back to the HQ to shower and change. Showers, though limited, were looking hot and steamy, so I queued up to take my turn. Next thing a screech emanated from behind the curtains - the water had gone cold! :eek: The queue diminished rapidly... but needs must and I braved the icy cold flow :cool: for a very quick wash before shivering out to find a hot cup of tea. Great spread put on by the club and after some sandwiches, cake (lots of cake!) and a few cups of tea (to warm me up) we got back in the car for the return trip.

It's not my best time, but it confirms where I'm at presently. Happy enough with that for now.

Summary 10 miles in 1:30:47 (watch time) or 1:31:11 (official time)

Great race, well done and what a great report!

Emer911 wrote: »
    Showers, though limited, were looking hot and steamy, so I queued up to take my turn.

:eek:
    Where was this, exactly?

• Advertisement

Showers, though limited, were looking hot and steamy...
    :eek:
    Where was this, exactly?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Loved your report..and well done on the day. And what's up with the size small shirt shortage?? You must have a drawer full of oversized night shirts with race logos on them. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Loved your report..and well done on the day. And what's up with the size small shirt shortage?? You must have a drawer full of oversized night shirts with race logos on them. ;)

Well Krusty does very well out of it - twice as many tee shirts as he needs :D

Monday
    Pilates class at lunch time - but it was the stand-in teacher so it wasn't quite as strenuous as normal. Don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing?!

Tuesday
    With the wind blowing mad and no sign of a let up, I packed a bag and headed to the gym (yeah, I know - wussy!) for a treadmill run.
    Set the gradient at 1, and did a kind of an interval session. Couple of km warmup and then 5 x 400 mt faster (11.5km/h so about 8:24min/mi) with about 2 min walk / jog rest.
    Nearly killed me! Sweated BUCKETS and my tomato head still hasn't returned to it's normal pasty pale shade.
    Finished up with some decent stretching, which was needed.

Summary 6.5 k in about 40 - 45 minutes (wasn't really watching!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Well Krusty does very well out of it - twice as many tee shirts as he needs :D

Next time (when His Krustiness finishes in the top 30) tell him to pick up the small, and then when you finish you can pick up the large for him.
    Sounds like a plan.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

eliwallach wrote: »
    Next time (when His Krustiness finishes in the top 30) tell him to pick up the small, and then when you finish you can pick up the large for him.
    Sounds like a plan.:)
    Who are you calling large? :)

Well, based on your "disappointing" performance in Dungarvan I just assumed you were carrying some timber.........:rolleyes:

Joking aside, the Medium are a little generous fitting, so the Large would be swimming on you.

As you were Emer.

Whatever - I just know the mediums are generally MASSIVE on me and are pretty much unwearable.
    Even some of the small ones are too big. They all tend to be male sized, which is the real issue. :(

I managed to get the xs top after the Dublin Marathon which fits perfectly, so a few more of those at the races would be nice :rolleyes:

Wednesday I was supervising at the Gymnastics Club. Three hours sitting there in the cold, so no running.

Thursday I was just lazy... :o

Friday I went for a steady run. <yay!>
    Cold and breezy but nice to get out in it. The pace was grand going out, but I had the wind more or less in my face the whole way back so the pace did drop a bit. Glad to have done it though. Felt so much better once I got back to the house.
    Summary 4 miles in 36:19
    Avg Pace: 9:05 min/mi

Well, based on your "disappointing" performance in Dungarvan I just assumed you were carrying some timber.........:rolleyes:

Joking aside, the Medium are a little generous fitting, so the Large would be swimming on you.

As you were Emer.

Having re-read the above, the final comment is more than a little ambigious.
    It should be read as a military command, as in " As you were, soldier" ie resume whatever you were at before I disturbed you....and not to be read as " and you too" .
    Don't worry, coat in hand..........

Having re-read the above, the final comment is more than a little ambiguous.
    It should be read as a military command, as in " As you were, soldier" ie resume whatever you were at before I disturbed you....and not to be read as " and you too" .
    Don't worry, coat in hand..........

...'s ok, I didn't take offence or anything ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I asked for a med at the finish, took it out as I was cold, it was a large and bloody big large at that. Went back and exchanged for a med and was given another large :rolleyes:
    If anyone is looking for a tent PM me.

Saturday
    Busy day tomorrow (kid wise) so got the long(ish) run in this morning. Started out with my jacket on, but had to disrobe after a couple of miles. The sunshine was lovely and I ran over to Bray and out along the coast walk towards Greystones. It was spectacular! What a place we are lucky enough to live in. Sea and sunshine make for a pretty special view, especially from a height. At my turnaround point I could see Greystones on one side, back to Bray (and beyond to Howth) on the other, with a wonderful sea vista spread out in front of me, the sun glinting off the water and the gulls circling lazily overhead. Wow! I really enjoyed that one.

It was a bit mucky in places out along the cliff walk and the sunshine was so strong that it was a bit of a job to see where to put your feet. Once I turned around the wind was in my face, but it was mostly downhill at that point, and because I was concentrating on the terrain and where to step, I barely noticed it.

Coming back up the hill out of Bray the traffic was stopped at the lights and I heard a 'GO on, keep it going, keep it going". I looked over and there was a white teddy bear hanging out of the passenger window shouting at me :D The (adult) guy holding it was crouched down kinda peeping at me from behind the teddy. I had a little giggle. Some people are funny.

I had decided to go for 1hr 30 and the clock was at 1:20 when I was almost back home, so I took a detour into the park for a lap of that. That was HARD. I was getting really hungry by then (some hours since breaky) so took all my will power not to just call it a day and head to the house for some nosh. One lap there took me to my time goal.

Very happy now. It wasn't a fast one, and it wasn't all that long, but it was definitely one of those "so this is why I run" runs. :p:cool:
    Summary 9.12 mi in 1:30:10
    Avg Pace: 9:53 min/mi

[QUOTE=Emer911;83018099 but had to disrobe after a couple of miles.[/QUOTE]

Jaysus, here we go again!

Great run btw.

Sunday was a write off... so nothing to add to that.

Monday saw lunchtime pilates with the normal instructor, so that was painful. :p Squats and pushups and more squats and more pushups, till I thought my thigh muscles were going to detach themselves and run away for a rest!

Tuesday. Cold out there tonight! :eek: I didn't wait for the GPS to pick up the satellites so the first "mile" recorded 10:47 pace:rolleyes:
    So I ran for 40 minutes which was just over 4 miles (I guess). Legs were a bit tired after the exertions yesterday.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Had a lovely dinner and didn't do any exercise :o

Thursday
    Club run. Doing 5x1 minute 'hill' with jog back. With the warmup and cool down it was just shy of 3 miles. The hill pace were all between 6:40 and 6:55 /min and were fine. I could have done more, but that was the session. I should probably have gone with the other group really, but I'm still finding my way with the club and not quite confident enough to try running with the big kids just yet :D
    Enjoyed that though.

Saturday
    A social engagement had me out till way past my bedtime so when the alarm went off this morning I wasn't exactly bounding out of the bed :rolleyes: But I'd made arrangements to meet someone at 10 for a run, so I had to get up and get some food in me.
    The run was grand. Neither of us were totally up for it, so we just took it handy and plodded around chatting for a few miles. When we went our separate ways I finished off with a few strides, just to loosen up the legs and give the lungs a little shock :p.
    It was a slow run, but that was a much as the poor body could handle this morning.
    Summary 5.25 mi in 51:27
    Avg Pace: 9:48

Sunday
    Woke up with a bit of sore throat and sneezing like a mad thing, so was between two minds about going for a run. The atrocious weather helped me to make my mind up pretty quickly though - I'm such a wuss! :o

But I finished up the day by heading here with the family for three hours of proper cross training. That was such fun! :D Can't raise my arms over my head today and my knee is all bruised and stiff from a close encounter with a wall stud :o but we all agreed that we're going back again. Who needs a gym.? That's a much more enjoyable way to do core /upper body work. Awesome! :D

Monday
    Pilates at lunchtime, which was a bruiser of a class - especially given the state of me after yesterdays fun! But I got through it and even managed to finish all the pushups :eek::rolleyes: Totally fooked after it though. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hola Emer. Just doing some catching up on the loggies. I think the last time i checked in properly you were out with a bit of an injury. Glad to see that's cleared up now and you're getting through some steady training :) Well done in Dungarvan - sounded like a tough yucky day out there! I love the sound of that climbing place - if it's suitable for wimps with zero upper body strength I might just have to give it a go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    Hola Emer. Just doing some catching up on the loggies. I think the last time i checked in properly you were out with a bit of an injury. Glad to see that's cleared up now and you're getting through some steady training :) Well done in Dungarvan - sounded like a tough yucky day out there! I love the sound of that climbing place - if it's suitable for wimps with zero upper body strength I might just have to give it a go!![/QUOTE]

Eh.. You can practice by climbing the stairs and cleaning the bathroom :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

digger2d2 wrote: »

Eh.. You can practice by climbing the stairs and cleaning the bathroom :D

Ah but there'd be no fun in that now digger would there!!!;)

claralara wrote: »
    Hola Emer. Just doing some catching up on the loggies. I think the last time i checked in properly you were out with a bit of an injury. Glad to see that's cleared up now and you're getting through some steady training :) Well done in Dungarvan - sounded like a tough yucky day out there! I love the sound of that climbing place - if it's suitable for wimps with zero upper body strength I might just have to give it a go!!

Thanks CL. Dungarvan went better than expected, but the cold shower at the end is the endearing memory! The climbing place was fantastic fun, and if I can get up the wall with my little baby chicken arm strength, you'll have no bother :D

And I think I'll just ignore Diggers follow-up comment :rolleyes:

Tuesday
    A mini run around the village. The poor body is still in bits from the climbing and the pilates, so the run was slow, slow, slow - but very welcome. Nice little head clearer. My cold seems to be retreating too, which is good. Followed up with a bit of a stretch when I got back to try to ease out all the tight muscles.
    Summary 3.5 miles in 33:26

Wednesday
    Had a work thing in town this evening so decided to fit in a lunchtime run.
    I generally don't like running during lunch but with the morning I'd had and the afternoon that was looming I was actually glad to tie on my runners and head out.
    Didn't have a route planned, so did 3 breezy damp miles in a loop up into Shankill and back to base. After a quick shower, a very quick bite, I was back to work with a wet head, but feeling the better for this one. A good therapy session. :p
    Summary 3 miles in 27:31
    Avg Pace: 9:10 min/m

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Club run - 5k tempo
    There were 2 options this week, 3k or 5k tempo. I went with the 'easier' group last week and felt I was in the wrong place, so I sucked it up and went with the 5k goup this week. The decision was made slightly easier in that another of the newbee's were joining me and I knew we were more or less evenly matched, pace wise.

So after a bit of a warmup jog that took us to the start of the 5k loop, we were given the instructions and let off. The lads all pegged it and were out of sight within minutes. As things settled in, after a few hundred metres there were 3 of us working together nicely. Of course, I'd left my watch in the car, so I had no idea what pace I was doing. I know it felt hard, and several times I felt like just walking, except I had to stay with the others.

After about 2k one of the gilrs started to pull ahead a bit (or we slowed down?) and it was just the two of us. We kept plugging but when we hit a hill at about the 3k mark my partner fell off the pace slightly so I was on my own for the rest of it. Tough run and, again, only that I knew she was just a little bit behind me, I would probably have been walking.

The home stretch reached, the bollard passed and finally, I could stop. No idea of the time or pace, but it was definitely a good workout and some sorely needed speed work (which I would not have done if I wasn't out with the club!) It's a pity the group wasn't a bit more comparitive, but at least I know I have someone to catch, and someone to keep ahead of for the next one. We three finished with no more than 10 or 15 seconds between us, so I guess it give me something to aim for.

With another mile or so cooldown, that took me to just over 5 miles for the day.
    Summary 5.1 miles in 45 or so minutes
    with a 5k tempo at ?? pace:rolleyes:

Advertisement